Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: DLV symbol and GUI pack (now in > BB 4.01)

Myshkin's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: TOKUS' strat map banner symbol micro-patcher (from Hell) for DLV 6.2

I resized and stars gone compleyely missing! Not even the transparent part!

There are two strat_flag.tga files, one in \DLV_ext\data\banners and one in \DLV_ext\data\DLV_ext\banners

I tried having both at 128x128...

Then I tried both at 256x256, but that didn't work either.
    Last edited by Myshkin; November 20, 2009 at 02:45 AM.

Default Re: TOKUS' strat map banner symbol micro-patcher (from Hell) for DLV 6.2

@Myshkin
    Me too - I ran it at the 128x128 as Agis wisely suggested and got the same as you Myshkin. I dunno what's happened.... I've only changed these graphic .tgas, not any of the interface's scripts. I guess run them 128x128 removes the general stars, yet another DLV handicap for you elite gamers out there! I'll sort that for the next patcher.

@Cedric37
    Curently Agis' fine city symbols give a good contrast to the army banner ones. I only did the strat stymbols before but had not done the .cas filed city symbols as Agis had done them so well and I thought redoing them before would be rather rude.

@Everyone
    Well, if you're all happy with these I'll begin the new GUI shield 'n' banner symbols. With a support team like you lot, who could fail! Heh.

Has anyone any initial strat_flag.tga handy?

I would like to check this too, else I will have to reinstall...

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Dear Mr*T,
    I tried to find what is causing the stars to disappear BUT till now I didn't come up with any solution...
    I compared your file with the original M2TW file and it looks the same (from the designers scope).
    Could you provide a version of the strat_flag.tga with the default star (the nice one you have made is reversed a little bit, right)?
    Maybe, this could make it work...
    Or else, I will try to test this myself when I get back home...
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Even with the star issue (not really a big issue in my opinion, as I play EB, and no stars are used in that mod, and at least grey squares appear where the stars should be in DLV), this mini-mod is great! I am so looking forward to the UI upgrade. IMHO, the fact that factions lack proper shields/banners in the GUI is a bit of a distraction. Tokus has always done great work, and I believe this will be another winner!
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Icon10 Re: TOKUS' strat map banner symbol micro-patcher (from Hell) for DLV 6.2

Alright,
    think I've nailed the stars issue, you have to edit the data\descr_standards.txt file like so:

Code:
    banner_star		0.01,	 0.67969, 0.19141,	0.86719
    banner_button		0.19922, 0.67969, 0.38281,	0.86719
    Turns out some earlier modder (Repman?) used the value "1.0" here to mod them out and that somehow does not work with the larger texture. The numbers if you're interested is where to find the texture, in fractions of the tga file (x1,y1,x2,y2)

Now me myself & I dont really want stars anyway so I have this:

Code:
    banner_star		0.99,	 0.99,	  0.99,		0.99
    banner_button		0.99,	 0.99,	  0.99,		0.99
    These values used to be 1.0 - 0.99 basically tells it to look at the bottom right side where there is "nothing" just transparent texture. Like I said, if you put 1.0 the gray boxes are back.

I really have no idea what banner_button does or where it shows up so I guess you don't really need to change this but I did just to be sure anyway - any takers on what this is?

Also, to avoid putting the tgas for Venice etc into different directories do this:

Code:
    factions
    symbols				banners/symbols1.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols2.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols3.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols4.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols5.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols6.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols7.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols8.tga
    rebels_factions
    symbols				banners/symbols8.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols9.tga
    I.e. remove the DLV_ext part since its not needed anyway

At least I *hope* this fixes it, need you to test, my first attempt at changing anything like this

Help I think I'm turning into one of you guys...
    Last edited by Shadrach; November 20, 2009 at 07:03 PM.

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    At least I *hope* this fixes it, need you to test, my first attempt at changing anything like this
    VERY WELL done, Sir Shadrach
    I tested and it works just fine
    +rep (as soon as I can give more)

Cheers
    Agis

Welcome to the dark side of DLV
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I just found out that the current lion is infact... the lion from 1905. sorry.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On his seal he (King Sverre) uses a shield with some kind of device on it, unfortunately it is not known what it showed exactly. It's strongly belived to be a lion. However, there was no escutcheon: 1177-1202.
    1274 (I know, it's beutiful).

These coats also show that the Norwegian seal was (just) abit slimmer between the Dexter(left medium) and Sinister (right midium), and downwards to Dexter base (lower left) and Sinister base (lower right) of the current Coat of arms:
    Most likly, Nr. 1 instead of Nr. 11, with most likly a flat Chief (top). On the other hand, it looks to me as the 'Iberian (Nr. 11) Escutcheon moel' is your tokus signature .

In the end, no drama or need to change anything. I'm just letting you know the facts I know with links from the Norges Riksarkivet. ENG: Kingdoms Archive: which stores ever official paper written + handles the Heraldic department of new and old coats)

"Run Forest , RUN!"

BL-W
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 22, 2009 at 03:44 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Alright,
    think I've nailed the stars issue, you have to edit the data\descr_standards.txt file like so:

Code:
    banner_star        0.01,     0.67969, 0.19141,    0.86719
    banner_button        0.19922, 0.67969, 0.38281,    0.86719
    Turns out some earlier modder (Repman?) used the value "1.0" here to mod them out and that somehow does not work with the larger texture. The numbers if you're interested is where to find the texture, in fractions of the tga file (x1,y1,x2,y2)

Now me myself & I dont really want stars anyway so I have this:

Code:
    banner_star        0.99,     0.99,      0.99,        0.99
    banner_button        0.99,     0.99,      0.99,        0.99
    These values used to be 1.0 - 0.99 basically tells it to look at the bottom right side where there is "nothing" just transparent texture. Like I said, if you put 1.0 the gray boxes are back.

I really have no idea what banner_button does or where it shows up so I guess you don't really need to change this but I did just to be sure anyway - any takers on what this is?

Also, to avoid putting the tgas for Venice etc into different directories do this:

Code:
    factions
    symbols                banners/symbols1.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols2.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols3.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols4.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols5.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols6.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols7.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols8.tga
    rebels_factions
    symbols                banners/symbols8.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols9.tga
    I.e. remove the DLV_ext part since its not needed anyway

Well done mate!

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Hello Tokus, I thought this information would be helpfull for you. If this won't open,or you'll need any translation,please let me know as soon as possible.
    http://zoldatik.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=374

some more...
    Last edited by Overlord.ru; November 21, 2009 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord.ru View Post
    Hello Tokus, I thought this information would be helpfull for you. If this won't open,or you'll need any translation,please let me know as soon as possible.
    http://zoldatik.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=374
    Thank you Overlord, a veritable fountain of good heraldry samples you've unearthed there. Good stuff!

@Shadrach, many thanks for the coordinates fix which does indeed make the general stars reappear. I like to see 'em so I can go 'Oh Bugger!' when a powerful army roves into a region close to one of my far flung settlements. Also, it's good to see what stars my King, the heir and the rest of the generals have (if at all).

@Myshkin, Well done on your first modding solo attempt. 10/10 for you. You'll be wantin' a DLV addict badge soon! Heh. I've no idea when the banner button is used - I suppose it is that red orb on the strat_map.tga next to the general star.

@Blackleaf-Wille, thank you for your extensive reporting on the subtle changes of the lion with/without axe/crown, etc. It almost deserves a thread of it's own, heh! Do keep searching for a better lion shape. I'll keep my eyes out for one too.

@Celtic Pagan & Everyone, there'll be a new patcher shortly, with all these strat symbols completely finished. I've made a better job of the shield shapes on the ortho and islami factions. It might also be of interest to hear that I've totally redone the whole set of GUI faction shield symbols (and their wee banners). I'm going to sleep on them tonight and on Sunday morning, put them into the game before loading up a GUI symbol patcher addition to this growing one.

Thanks, this was fun.

Tokus*Maximus

Dear Mr*T
    I would like to point out that the white colour on any symbol is making it look a little bit odd when zooming out...
    Maybe it would be better if you could use a Photo Filter to "warm" the white colour.
    With all the respect to your amazing work
    Agis

Sure Agis, I'll give them a look over. Tint the whites towards a warmer or cooler colour. I'll try to arrange the first total rebuild of the DLV GUI today. I'm trying to ensure everything in this new DLV Tokus*art patcher is 'freshly squeezed'. I hadn't the chance to do the symbols all before in one go so looking forward to this lot. There's room here an there on the GUI .tgas - I wonder if we can create coordinates so that the Norge symbols appear properly rather than using the rebel sig.

-- Tokiod

Quote Originally Posted by Tokus*Maximus View Post
    @Myshkin (...) You'll be wantin' a DLV addict badge soon!
    Want it!!!!!!!!!

Damn, why I can't give more rep to you? It says I need to push more rep around.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, it's like CA got some conspiracy against us nordmenn

@Blackleaf-Wille, thank you for your extensive reporting on the subtle changes of the lion with/without axe/crown, etc. It almost deserves a thread of it's own, heh! Do keep searching for a better lion shape. I'll keep my eyes out for one too.
    Well, I allready told you the essential idea of what the heavily guarded National archive has to offer. So unless there is a hidden divine revelation some where, that's that. I will draw you a scetch with all the gathered info.

PS: It will be without the escutcheon ok.
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Yeah conspiwacies be damned, damned I say!

@Tokus: Yes, its the one beside the star - just cannot see where in the game itself it is used (if at all) - I find it referenced in kingdoms.exe though. I suspect it's something just left over from RTW since it uses the same structure in the banner file?

@Willie+Tokus: I've had another look around, this is the best/closest I found, linked from a French heraldry project on Wikipedia.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier...e_Danemark.svg
    Which states that the center image, "qui est de Norvège ancien" which I translate to something like "Which is the old Norwegian".

It links to:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...es_Norvège.svg

You can get other sizes from below the image, its an SVG file so its resizeable

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Is that picture above of the red shield with the lion in it feature the ax-bow? That handle is SO curved by the artist you wonder why no one thought of putting a bow string in. The Norge lion heraldry deserves a thread all to itself.

best,

Tokus