Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Height Differences?

Default Height Differences?

One of the things I always thought was underplayed in mods was coding in height differences. The Gauls and Germans often referred t the Romani and "Little Rmoans" nd the Romans were short even by mediteranian standards.

Will this be in the unit scales?

Default Re: Height Differences?

AFAIK the avarage Roman male was somewhere around 1m60 and the avarage Gaul/German somewhere around 1m65. Hardly great enough a difference for diffucult coding, don't you think?

are you saying Caesar, and other writer of the time EXAGERATED??! Blasphemy!

Not per se. 5-10 cm on avarage is a big difference.

When we think about Japanese people we think they are all small people.
    The average Japanese male is 1m71.
    The avarage American male is 1m77.

I think that would be about the same difference...

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

feet/inches plz?!?!
    i thought a meter was like 3 feet. wtf?!
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

A little bit more than 3 feet.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    feet/inches plz?!?!
    i thought a meter was like 3 feet. wtf?!

Google it.

160cm : 5 feet 3 inches.
    165cm : 5 feet 5 inches.

171cm : 5 feet 7,3 inches.
    177cm : 5 feet 9,7 inches.

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

oh. thanx. yah, thats not enough of a difference to model them differently. i'm about 5 feet 6 inches, and im only 13. so theres so much variation its not worth the effort to change the sizes.
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

from what I heard the average briton was a head taller than a roman, but more gangly;
    also that the cimbrii were pretty much giants, with a height of seen feet not being uncommon amongst them.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Probably an exaggeration. Apparently, the vaunted Vikings were only about 5'11. I believe.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

People of ancient times were much smaller than those today. While in my classroom most guys are around 6 feet (1.80m), if you look at medieval armors they were shorties in plate . I believe Romanii and the people of Athenai were quite small too.

« There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it.

A politician who portrays himself as 'caring' and 'sensitive' because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he's willing to try to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't?

And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he'll do good with his own money - if a gun is held to his head.» - P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by NoFrag View Post
    People of ancient times were much smaller than those today. While in my classroom most guys are around 6 feet (1.80m), if you look at medieval armors they were shorties in plate . I believe Romanii and the people of Athenai were quite small too.
    check it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=215507

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

It's worth it, but they shouldn't wast too mutch time on it.

This makes me wonder: What and how many germanic factions will we have?

Not known.

Though there will be at least one new faction in the region to counter the Sweboz.
    Maybe a Belgae tribe (Celto-Germanic) or the Lugians or Boii (actually Celts) on the other side, or some other real Germanic faction.

But the EB team has sworn secrecy and won't tell a thing about new factions (except for Pergamon unitl now, of course).

Kyrre's Avatar Civis

Good Evening!

That's what I was also wondering about. About the whole phenotype business. Considering hight, the tallest peoples of the world are the Sudanese and the Germanics, at least to my knowledge. Back then the difference must have been even larger between Italy and Danmark for excample. Also Iranians are taller than Arabs on average. It was before the time of migration where germanic tribes settled all over Europe and mixed with other peoples and a long time earlier in the lasting process of genetic mixing of ethnicities. I was often annoyed by the brightly blonde celtic warriors (not those with chalk in it) because even today in France less than 10% of the population is blonde. On the other hand side not every German was blonde, maybe 70% of them. Also they were not influenced much by their neighboring ethnicities in that time and therefore maybe even taller. Also Germanic facial features differ a lot from other europeans.

I would welcome the inclusion of hight differences a lot. And a more visible phenotypical difference between Celt and German. But maybe to others it does not matter.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In Norway I might be called a racist for this but I hope that on the world wide web things are a little more relaxed. I have to tell it though as beeing a biologist (ok, only a tooth technician )

Apparently, the vaunted Vikings were only about 5'11. I believe.
    That's a common disaccord. How your sceleton develops and finally how tall you get is directed by two things: Genetics and your bill of fare during your period of growth. Periods of food shortage resulted in averagely smaller people and vice versa. Additionally in the later middle ages many nobles whose armors were preserved until today (rich people) often got their first full plate armour at the age of 12-14. It's a nice thougt though to be taller than your ancestors were, which is possobly why this theory is so popular. :hmmm:

Good Topic brymht.
    A nice evening to all!
    Last edited by Kyrre; February 17, 2009 at 01:11 PM.

Icon3 Re: Height Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    Though there will be at least one new faction in the region to counter the Sweboz.
    Maybe a Belgae tribe (Celto-Germanic) or the Lugians or Boii (actually Celts) on the other side, or some other real Germanic faction.
    Where did you get this information? It's a fair bet that either the Boii or the Lugians (or both) will make it as factions, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. I am also pretty sure that "countering another faction" was never part of EB's list of criteria for faction inclusion.

Excuse me for "will be" and make it : there will possibly be another faction up there in North/Central Europe.

Nothing is confirmed, but as you say: Lugians or Boii is a save bet. And when, indeed, a "counter faction" is certainly not a reason to implement any faction in EB, such a faction will de facto end up keeping the Sweboz in check a bit.

And I did say the EB team hasn't confirmed anything except Pergamon and I did say nothing was known about it.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; February 17, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hælge Jørnsen View Post
    Good Evening!
    On the other hand side not every German was blonde, maybe 70% of them.
    Maybe more like 50% at the most, since norse migrations had only just started.

On the other hand side not every German was blonde, maybe 70% of them.

Maybe more like 50% at the most, since norse migrations had only just started.
    Actually the more intensive studies have found that it was roughly 62.4%. Seriously though, how would you know percentages from this remote point in time?
    even today in France less than 10% of the population is blonde.
    France could have easily been affected by settlement of people of Mediterranean origin during the 450+ years it was part of the Roman Empire. Hair color is a polygenic trait but darker hair tends to be dominant.

That's a common disaccord. How your sceleton develops and finally how tall you get is directed by two things: Genetics and your bill of fare during your period of growth. Periods of food shortage resulted in averagely smaller people and vice versa. Additionally in the later middle ages many nobles whose armors were preserved until today (rich people) often got their first full plate armour at the age of 12-14. It's a nice thougt though to be taller than your ancestors were, which is possobly why this theory is so popular. :hmmm:

Good Topic brymht.
    A nice evening to all! [/QUOTE]

are you saying that the vikings suffered a food shortage in their lives? Is that why they were so merciless?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast