Thread: A few questions about strats

Default A few questions about strats

Ok maybe not full blown strats but i started as the Rahala (love vamps and i cant be half bloods now can i? ), god its on medium difficulty and its so hard!

But anyway my noobish city management aside, how do you beat the big ugly ogre like things? wish i remembered there name, the mercenaries you can get start with a Y, all i know is keep cavalry away from them and they scare everyone around them....sure ive beaten them back but not as effectivly as i like, they crush hundreds before they die, i just dont know what is the best way to deal with them, i shot them with arrows but they seem to like the tickle...

Do they act like elephants? (I.E. scared of fire)...

Default Re: A few questions about strats

'Yagrazil', do think a bit like elephants but don't run amok...

shooting them before they reach you is good idea, failing that gang up with as much infantry as you can...

if you can afford to buy the merc versions then you can do the stomping

Since they can toss people around, cavalry would be better (untossable), no?

cavalry have a -mount effect when attacking them, and they have a +mount effect against cav, that might outweigh the tossing element...

you could try experimenting with tactics in a custom battle

True, i'll try hitting them with alot of fire arrows next time see what happens, not sure about cavalry, might answell try it, i dislike taking losses as im in a financial state atm...

Thinking about it, wouldnt light infantry do well? against elephants they dont die as quick as heavy infantry due to light armour and being able to dodge,

I did try those heavy axe men you get at the start for Rahala as they are good vs armour but they got torn apart...

EDIT: did some custom battles, it appears light cavalry is the best bet, 4 units of light infantry managed to win with 189 losses lol, but 2 units of light cavalry did alot better, archers are a waste of time on them, it takes way to long to scratch them,
    Last edited by Experiment13; February 11, 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Experiment13
    3-4 squads of assakii archers, shooting at Yagrazils with normal arrows (not fire arrows), can take off most of their extra-hitpoints. And then infantry and cavalry will be able to deal with them without so much losses.
    P.S. BTW, these ugly monsters run so fast!!! Arrgh...
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Ahh, thanks for the tip Lanjane, will try it next time i encounter them!

Yeah, they always flank too, they must think they are cavalry or something

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Experiment13
    You'll not encounter them too often if you play Rahala. Yagrazils can be recruited only on the Isle of Metatron, so you will only meet them as a part of rebel stacks... Of course, if you will not let the severins to land on your coast)
    Rahala invicta!
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Hehe thats good to know dude, i have control of the entire isle now but the selverin are picking away at my northern coast and becoming much of a pain!

Their lucky im busy exterminating the humans

EDIT: sorry for the late reply, earlier all i got was "page could not be displayed"

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Something I love about creating a faction are units that, when a player sees them on the other side of a battle they think 'bugger, not those guys,'.. That brief period of panic is what makes it worth it.

Of course I know the secret to beating them, but I'm not telling..

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Hmm... All I know is that druid failteis, caitiffs, souleater archers, zombie archers, syon archers, ghostmen axe (francisca throwers) have bonuses against Yagrazil: +4 or +6 - in export_descr_unit.txt. But these units are too rare and not accessible for Rahala in early campaining. So, maybe the best way is to use one Yagrazil unit agains another, as Makanyane adviced?
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Something I love about creating a faction are units that, when a player sees them on the other side of a battle they think 'bugger, not those guys,'.. That brief period of panic is what makes it worth it.

Of course I know the secret to beating them, but I'm not telling..
    Hehe Halie at least you know your plan paid off, everytime i see them (only encountered them once in campaign iirc) i think, "oh god..." simply because i have yet to comfortably beat them, alhough i have a good idea than Lanjane has given me, so we'll see if your little creations can still give me that "oh god..." feeling

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post
    Experiment13
    You'll not encounter them too often if you play Rahala. Yagrazils can be recruited only on the Isle of Metatron, so you will only meet them as a part of rebel stacks... Of course, if you will not let the severins to land on your coast)
    Rahala invicta!
    As the Talamasca I bought 2 units of Yazgardill Pickles down around Kemmet etc.