Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536

Thread: - The Library -

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: - The Library -

A very interesting lecture by prof. Peter Heather. Obviously, we know the book, but this is also updated with fresh insights (given 2019).
    The first part is also good.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; March 01, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I can´t wait for this book called Septimius Severus and the Roman Army by Michael Sage (Pen & Sword Books):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Another book from Ilkka Syvanne has been announced:

Gordian III and Philip the Arab: The Roman Empire at a Crossroads

This is a dual biography of the emperors Marcus Antonius Gordianus (‘Gordian III’, reigned 238-244) and Marcus Julius Philippus Augustus (‘Philip the Arab’, reigned 244-249), focusing mainly on the political and military events during this crucial stage of the ‘Third Century Crisis’. The tumultuous 'Year of the Six Emperors' saw Gordian raised to the purple at just thirteen years of age, becoming the youngest emperor in the Empire’s history at a time when the borders were threatened by the powerful Sassanid Persians and the Goths, among others. Gordian died on a campaign against the Persians, either in battle or possibly murdered by his own men.Philip, succeeded Gordian, made peace with Shapur I and returned to Italy. His reign encompassed the spectacular celebration of Rome’s millennium in 248 but the wars in the Balkans and East together with crippling taxation led to mutinies and rebellions. Philip and his brother had until then fought successfully against the Persians and others but this did not save Philip, who was killed by a usurper’s forces at the Battle of Verona in 249. He had been Rome’s first Christian emperor and the author considers why it was fifty years before she had another.

Publisher: Pen & Sword

Publishing date: April 2021 (Maybe )

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Another book from Ilkka Syvanne has been announced:

Great news. I received Aurelian and Probus few weeks ago - also I need more books about Parthian/Sassanid empires. I´m thinking about ordering the The Armies of Ancient Persia: The Sassanians.
    Anyway this looks like a sneak peek from upcoming book:
    https://www.academia.edu/35428787/Sh...e_Anbar_in_244

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Great news. I received Aurelian and Probus few weeks ago - also I need more books about Parthian/Sassanid empires. I´m thinking about ordering the The Armies of Ancient Persia: The Sassanians.
    Anyway this looks like a sneak peek from upcoming book:
    https://www.academia.edu/35428787/Sh...e_Anbar_in_244
    I can strongly recommend you this book.

I can´t wait for this book called Septimius Severus and the Roman Army by Michael Sage (Pen & Sword Books):
    I have got this book as Kindle version.
    IMHO very disappointing, very sketchy written, nothing about new ideas nor interesting interpretations of the author due the theme.

If you are interested in this era, I rather recommend you Ilkka Syvanne`s "Caracalla"

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Thanks for positive review for Sassanid´s army book - I ordered it together with Emperor and the Army in the Later Roman Empire, AD 235-395 paperback edition (finally I ordered this book). I own very few books about Arsacids/Sassanids (The Military History of the Third Century Iran, ReOrienting the Sasanians, Reign of Arrows: The Rise of the Parthian Empire in the Hellenistic Middle East) so any tip for further reading is very appreciated.

Yes, I´m very interested in this period - my most favorite period in history is the period from Hellenistic era to the end of the crisis of the Roman Empire in the third century. Of course, I am also interested in other periods (whether ancient times /I read a lot about the late Roman Empire now, I read a lot about Assyria last year/, or later periods). I´m starting to have a space problem in my book shells - a lot of books are on floor already

I agree about your assessment about the latest book on Septimius Severus and Roman army. I was a little bit disappointed as I really liked this author´s book on Roman army during the Republic. As for Caracalla book - I had a copy and I really like it. The best Syvanne work so far (I had to order his books on late Roman military).

Sadly I´m not a German speaker, but I ordered this book on Gallienus by mistake
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gallienus-2...s=books&sr=1-2
    I think someday I will order translation for personal use. But I started to read Syvanne´s book on Gallienus, one of my favorite emperors from this era.

Also on the way is this publication in German language: Das Heer des Maximinus Thrax. I think it will be great reference books on material culture on Roman army during 3rd century AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
    ...except the one of Santo Mazzarino...
    A great book of him is "The end of the ancient world". It could be found in English as well, luckily for you Anglophones. As for historical romances, I recommend Guido Cervo(though I can't find if he is published in English).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    He was in Italy as well, with Barbero, I might add. Speaking about barbarians and the fall of Rome. Unfortunately, no English subtitles for the Italian part. ->LINK

I'm not sure if I recommended book called The Army of Maximinus Thrax - The Roman Soldiier of the early 3rd Century AD by Dr. Jan Eschbach illustrated by Stefano Borin (also German version is avaiable):

You can find more information here with several soldier reconstructions as preview:
    https://zeughausverlag.de/the-army-of-maximinus-thrax/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Publisher: Pen & Sword
    Publishing date: April 2021 (Maybe )
    The book was published yesterday, 22nd March 2021
    Last edited by tomySVK; March 23, 2021 at 05:23 AM.