Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: - The Library -

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: - The Library -

Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
    I agree. This thread has gone somewhat off-piste recently with illustrations that may or may not relate to publications and a discussion on Goths and the Roman army that really belonged somewhere else.
    I agree with you Renatus and I admit my sin, my posts about Goths and Romans were misplaced and there is nothing I can say to change this factual truth.

I write this because, at my age, I've learned that it's useless trying to hide yourself and your guilt, like Death, so the Truth always finds you.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I admit my sin, my posts about Goths and Romans were misplaced and there is nothing I can say to change this factual truth.I write this because, at my age, I've learned that it's useless trying to hide yourself and your guilt, like Death, so the Truth always finds you.
    No need for the hair-shirt, Diocle. You're not the only sinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
    No need for the hair-shirt, Diocle. You're not the only sinner.
    Thanks for your generous words, Renatus, even though, being not the Holy Roman Emperor Heinrich IV of Saxony and you being not Mathilda di Canossa, I can safely state that, at my age and with the colour of my hair,
    a bit of ash is not much a trouble.

Now, coming back to the OP, currently I'm reading with some interest (being also an enthusiast of pike and musket warfare, aware of the role played by Elian "Taktica" for the protagonists of that age) the following paper from Academia:

"Maurice’s Strategicon and “the Ancients”: the Late Antique Reception of Aelian and Arrian’
    in: Philip RANCE and Nicholas V. SEKUNDA (edd.), Greek Taktika. Ancient Military Writing and its Heritage (Gdańsk 2017) 217-255

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have just listen to music of the group Heilung (look for them at Youtube).

NOW I WANT TO SLAUGHTER ROMANS !!!!!!

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    I have just listen to music of the group Heilung (look for them at Youtube).

NOW I WANT TO SLAUGHTER ROMANS !!!!!!
    Gaiten, no words! This is the most astonishing spiritual journey into the most obscure, fabolous and shamanic Germanismus I've ever made! Thanks!

Believe me guys, this music is better than reading hundreds books babbling about The Fall of the West!

Germanism + Hunnic shamanism = Final Weapon. Game over.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I get goosebumps while listening to this music.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

I get goosebumps while listening to this music.
    Goosebumps? Think that I commented on youtube:"Perfect spiritual perceptive condition for an effective listening? listen the music and try to enter into the mind of a young Roman soldier marching thorough the dense darkness of the .. Teutoburg forest .. pure psychedelic trip!"

Thanks again Gaiten for the indication, in my opinion in fact, history should not only be read and learned, but rather felt and perceived and those guys are just doing this in the best way possible. About the place in which we are talking about their ancient sounds, consider Mastro Gaiten, that in my personal library the DVDs are in their shelves among my most beloved history books.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    ReOrienting the Sasanians: East Iran in Late Antiquity by Khododad Rezakhani, Edinburgh University Press.
    I read it, in summer. Eastern Iran is traditionally neglected by modern historiography, so I grew a bit excited and, after having completed it, a bit disappointed. It's not bad, but its subject is so vast and diverse, being dependent on a great variety of source, that it cannot be examined properly in such a small book. The author himself seems a bit lost and usually limits himself to repeating the theories proposed by other researchers. It gives the impression that, although he has done his homework, he hasn't really managed to absorb and digest the huge amounts of information he received. Neither of his two innovative theories, suggesting that the Sassanids originated from Drangiana and that Kavadh's fragile position should be explained as a result of aristocratic hostility against the Hepthalites, seemed particularly convincing. On the other hand, his book can serve as a badly needed guide of modern bibliography and primary sources for any student wishing to investigate the eastern frontier of the Sassanid Empire. His work was reviewed positively, but, in my opinion, both Rezakhani and his editor should have detected the obvious typo in the introduction.

Ancient Warfare Magazine has updated its editorial plan:

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.co...-plan-updated/

I am somewhat disappointed.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Two interesting papers relevant for this mods have been put on-line:
    - Late Sasanian Army
    - Military History of the Third Century Iran

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Ancient Warfare Magazine has updated its editorial plan:

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.co...-plan-updated/

I am somewhat disappointed.
    I think it will be great year for AW magazine. Several themes are very interesting – Geography and battle, rise of Septimius Severus, Hellenistic Asia Minor and Claudius at war (I´m really curious about article of the Claudian reforms).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Two interesting papers relevant for this mods have been put on-line:
    - Late Sasanian Army
    - Military History of the Third Century Iran
    Thanks for suggestions! I ordered Military History of the Third Century Iran, it will be great addition to my library!

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    I think it will be great year for AW magazine. Several themes are very interesting – Geography and battle, rise of Septimius Severus, Hellenistic Asia Minor and Claudius at war (I´m really curious about article of the Claudian reforms).
    Given how unreliable Ancient Warfare publications have gotten, I have to think about having my abo not be renewed.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

There are several problems for sure, but in my opinion we must keep in mind AW is popular history magazine and the quality of themes/articles is sometimes a problem. For example I was surprised by their Ptolemaic issues, but the Seleucid issue was disappointment for me. Probably as Seleucid fan I had big expectations.

Only similar magazine is in Spanish, but I want to buy their Ancient titles, for example the one about the 3rd century Roman army looks great. Even Lukas de Blois wrote article for them: https://www.despertaferro-ediciones....rquia-militar/

But I still like AW and I´m really looking forward for several upcoming themes: I hope they will be great.

Speaking about Lukas de Blois I have to mention his new book called Image and Reality of Roman Imperial Power in the Third Century AD: The Impact of War. It looks very interesting, but it´s also quite expensive

I can hardly believe it! They have finaly published it!!!!!

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...ardback/p/6180

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

That's been out for a while. I have no idea if it's any good. Syvanne's reconstructions of military equipment are totally complete and utter crap usually. But as far as I know his writing and sourcing are solid for historical events, etc. Elton's work is probably vastly superior though.

I think you are mistaking this book with this (https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Mili...ardback/p/4115)
    The book mentioned above is the second (of intended serie of 5).

IMHO I like his work. He has done a very thorough researchment and his conclusions and ideas are educated and well reasoned. Though some other historians do no like them because he has a sometimes more unconventional approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten
    IMHO I like his work. He has done a very thorough researchment and his conclusions and ideas are educated and well reasoned. Though some other historians do no like them because he has a sometimes more unconventional approach.
    The "unconventional approaches" are the only ones deserving some attention .. especially nowadays.

I am especially curious about how he is going to analyze Julian`Persian campaign. So far he is not a Julian fanboy. Rather the opposite.

I am especially curious about how he is going to analyze Julian`Persian campaign. So far he is not a Julian fanboy. Rather the opposite.
    It should be very hard to find any positive note in that campaign, I've just one or two big unanswered questions about the Persian Expedition harassing my mind but this is not the place and beside that,
    .. I already know they'll both go with me to my grave.