Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia/Armenia?

Default Georgia/Armenia?

So I have a week trip over in georiga, and armenia, ( dont ask me why, takes too long to explain)

What should I keep in mind whilst in these countries?
    Last edited by Romanos IV; February 21, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: User-friendlier title.
    "The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

>>========Niccolo Machiavelli=====>

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: GEORIGA/ ARMENIA??

As in where to go? Or just how to act while you're there?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    As in where to go? Or just how to act while you're there?
    Well what should I keep in mind? Customs, local prejudices, like do they hate canadians? IS going out at nightime without a gun unsmart :hmmm:
    "The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."

I don't know about Georgia, but in Yerevan you can stay out until the wee hours of the morning without anyone giving you any trouble.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by StalkAndStrike View Post
    Well what should I keep in mind? Customs, local prejudices, like do they hate canadians? IS going out at nightime without a gun unsmart :hmmm:
    For Armenia...
    Don't take your money out if you think something is maybe too expensive

Careful with cabbies. Try to travel in groups with at least one person in your group speaking russian or armenian so you can make sure you're not getting ripped off.

Marshutkas are scary. They're white vans that make daily trips between the various cities, that don't keep a schedule, they just go when the driver thinks there's enough people in the van.

Toumanian Shawarma. ASK ABOUT IT. Great restaurant in Yerevan. You go to the counter, tell them what you want, they give you a ticket after you pay, you bring it over to the guys making the shawarmas, they make it for you.

I wouldn't eat at a mexican or tex-mex restaurant in yerevan. I really really really wouldn't. Or the chinese or thai ones. But that's up to you.

There is believe or not a pizza chain. Biggest calzone I've EVER HAD. Enjoy. http://www.mamamia.am/

An American "style" restaurant is "Square One". Or, as it's written in Armenian, "Skoo-ayr oo-an". (http://www.squareone.am/main.html) It was pretty awesome. That is, if you miss American-ish food by that point. I was happy with the local food. This place has burgers and the like though. After like 2 and a half weeks in the country I was DYING for beef. So I got a bacon-cheeseburger at square one

There is a lot of cilantro (in food.). You were warned.

Clothing is expensive. Don't know why you'd bother but there's your caveat.

There is no drinking or smoking age.

Now for safety. Yerevan is a safer place than many american cities. Why? beats me. Still, don't walk around alone and try not to attract too much attention to yourself. This is nigh impossible because hayasdantsi (armos from armenia) are pretty good at point out foreigners, given that 99% of the population of that country is armenian. But still. They don't seem to have any particular prejudice against Americans or Canadians or what have you.

People will stare.

Careful when speaking english because it is not as though they don't understand. Something like at least a third of people in yerevan have some understanding of english. Nearly everyone knows russian.

Maybe the most notable prejudice or local custom is they are a kinda delightfully misogynistic society (sexist). IE they'd think it was unusual if a woman was walking around alone. Traders and what have you are a lot less willing to haggle with women, which is curiously the complete opposite of my experience in Jerusalem...

The nightlife in yerevan is bloody awesome. We'd be out late in the day, like 9-10 PM, and there would be locals everywhere in the parks (like out in front of the opera house), or in republic square, sometimes with their families, etc etc. Lots of clubs.

I don't know what the exchange rate is but it was luckily like 333 d'ram (pronounced like dur-hahm) to a dollar. It may be closer to 400 now.

Also...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5CDPUAl_s

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Marshutkas are scary. They're white vans that make daily trips between the various cities, that don't keep a schedule, they just go when the driver thinks there's enough people in the van.
    Seconded. I jumped aboard a few with my cousin while I was in Yerevan.....nasty business.

Also, while clothes might be expensive, everything else is dirt cheap, especially produce. Take advantage of this and stock up on as many apricots and peaches as you can (depending on when you're going that is)

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Was one of the Michael Jackson's brothers who recently started building a huge shopping center in Yerevan??
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    For Armenia...
    Don't take your money out if you think something is maybe too expensive

Careful with cabbies. Try to travel in groups with at least one person in your group speaking russian or armenian so you can make sure you're not getting ripped off.

Toumanian Shawarma. ASK ABOUT IT. Great restaurant in Yerevan. You go to the counter, tell them what you want, they give you a ticket after you pay, you bring it over to the guys making the shawarmas, they make it for you.

I wouldn't eat at a mexican or tex-mex restaurant in yerevan. I really really really wouldn't. Or the chinese or thai ones. But that's up to you.

There is believe or not a pizza chain. Biggest calzone I've EVER HAD. Enjoy. http://www.mamamia.am/

An American "style" restaurant is "Square One". Or, as it's written in Armenian, "Skoo-ayr oo-an". (http://www.squareone.am/main.html) It was pretty awesome. That is, if you miss American-ish food by that point. I was happy with the local food. This place has burgers and the like though. After like 2 and a half weeks in the country I was DYING for beef. So I got a bacon-cheeseburger at square one

There is a lot of cilantro (in food.). You were warned.

Clothing is expensive. Don't know why you'd bother but there's your caveat.

There is no drinking or smoking age.

Now for safety. Yerevan is a safer place than many american cities. Why? beats me. Still, don't walk around alone and try not to attract too much attention to yourself. This is nigh impossible because hayasdantsi (armos from armenia) are pretty good at point out foreigners, given that 99% of the population of that country is armenian. But still. They don't seem to have any particular prejudice against Americans or Canadians or what have you.

People will stare.

Careful when speaking english because it is not as though they don't understand. Something like at least a third of people in yerevan have some understanding of english. Nearly everyone knows russian.

Maybe the most notable prejudice or local custom is they are a kinda delightfully misogynistic society (sexist). IE they'd think it was unusual if a woman was walking around alone. Traders and what have you are a lot less willing to haggle with women, which is curiously the complete opposite of my experience in Jerusalem...

The nightlife in yerevan is bloody awesome. We'd be out late in the day, like 9-10 PM, and there would be locals everywhere in the parks (like out in front of the opera house), or in republic square, sometimes with their families, etc etc. Lots of clubs.

I don't know what the exchange rate is but it was luckily like 333 d'ram (pronounced like dur-hahm) to a dollar. It may be closer to 400 now.

Also...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5CDPUAl_s

Any questions?
    Wow great help! I appreciate it very much! Its my first time in that area of the world, and I guess the horrible rumors I heard about it aren't true after all

Do you think all of this info also can be sai about Azerbaijan? as I am apparently passing there as well.

Also, I've heard a lot about how bribing is the only way to get anything done there, as it is the norm fro locals, is this completley true? I would like to be somewahat prepared so my wallet deosent get blasted to hell without me planning on it

Default Re: Gerorgia/Armenia?

Azerbaijan is the worst place in the world. It is hell on earth

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

because of the Nagorno Karabakh war?

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

No, because the Azeris are barbaric monsters. I don't even care that much about the Turks. But I'll never trust an Azeri. My family, as with all the Armenians in Azerbaijan, fled Baku during the Armenian pogroms in the late 80s. Left everything they had.

Before that, Baku and Azerbaijan was a very affluent place. And now look at what it has become. They deserve it.

Khan Kong's Avatar Ordinarius

And keep an eye on your girlfriend or sister if you're not gonna go alone

"Europe has no balls to accept our truth, but has no gas to dictate its will"

Quote Originally Posted by StalkAndStrike View Post
    Wow great help! I appreciate it very much! Its my first time in that area of the world, and I guess the horrible rumors I heard about it aren't true after all

Do you think all of this info also can be sai about Azerbaijan? as I am apparently passing there as well.

Also, I've heard a lot about how bribing is the only way to get anything done there, as it is the norm fro locals, is this completley true? I would like to be somewahat prepared so my wallet deosent get blasted to hell without me planning on it
    The only time you ought to run into corruption is if you're planning on starting a business or charity, or if you get pulled over for whatever reason (you may be asked for a bribe. kinda makes sense given their abysmal wages). Or if you're in the army I suppose.
    The only way to get things done with locals is to be friendly and not rude. Not everything needs the wheels greased.

Curious that you're going to Azerbaijan, I was under the impression people with Armenian Visas are denied entry to Azerbaijan given the state of things between the two countries. I'd imagine you'd have to pass through Iran or Georgia to get there? Armenia and Azerbaijan's border is rather militarized as far as I know. Unless you're flying of course. As it is, to my knowledge anyone with a karabakh visa is arrested. I'm unsure though.

All I know about Azerbaijan is that Aliyev has a cult personality everywhere. I think you'll probably see all sorts of things lauding the greatness of the current president's dead dad and how he saved Azerbaijan from the evil Russians and Armenians.

Quote Originally Posted by Khan Kong View Post
    And keep an eye on your girlfriend or sister if you're not gonna go alone
    Right.

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

No, because the Azeris are barbaric monsters. I don't even care that much about the Turks. But I'll never trust an Azeri. My family, as with all the Armenians in Azerbaijan, fled Baku during the Armenian pogroms in the late 80s. Left everything they had.

Before that, Baku and Azerbaijan was a very affluent place. And now look at what it has become. They deserve it.
    Because of Nagorno Karabakh, just admit the truth lol since which year was the conflict?
    Last edited by Babur; February 14, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

What is this war you are all talking about? I am completley uneducated in this subject/part of the world. A friend works in georgia for a helicopter company ( a canadian one) and I am visiting for a week and a half. And if azerbaijan is so bad, should I just not visit at all? Perhaps Turky is a safer/smarter choice?

Also Baku was indeed the place we where planning on going to, so I'm guessing thats also a bad choice?

Armenia and Azerbaijan were at war from the start of the dissolution of the USSR to 1994. There is a ceasefire now.
    I'd imagine neither country is particularly dangerous as there is nothing really to visit for tourists on the borders. I'd imagine.

so i take it avoiding azerbaijan is simply reccomended haha

Azerbaijan has a crescent in its flag, which is a clear sign that you should just stay the away.

Salvatorel's Avatar Senator

if you are an armenian then yes otherwise i can't say so(personal experiense)
    which is a clear sign that you should just stay the away.
    actually most azeris whom i knew are not very religious,they do drink,do eat pork,rarely attend mosques,etc,but i don't know situation about it in villages but in Baku this was what i have seen
    Armenia and Azerbaijan's border is rather militarized
    closed and enforced by military means
    and on topic:
    some tips about Georgia
    1) be careful with cabbies,drivers will exaggerate prices when they spot that you are a foreigner,if you can not speak Russian or Georgian and are alone its better to use something with fixed price,for example Bus,Marshrutka or if you are in Tbilisi metro
    2) avoid Turkish restaurants and street fast food vendors or you'll get something unpleasant
    3) be careful if you want to buy Georgian wine,if you decide to buy wine buy where georgians are buying it,due to high levels of counterfeiting i advice you that best place to buy real wine and not vinegar branded as wine or some unknown substance with wine like color is some village market in Kakhetia
    4)if you decide to take pictures inside of churches at first ask permission to the priest,doing this without priest's permission usually is considered as offensive
    5) during conversations avoid controversial topics like LGBT rights,abortion,religion,independence of breakaway regions,etc
    6) if you spot gypsies be careful,if you come close at them you may lose your vallet
    7) be careful in crowded areas,pickpockets will watch at you,especially if you look very "foreign" for Georgia
    so there are some basic tips,for more just ask
    keep an eye on your girlfriend or sister if you're not gonna go alone
    still these stereotypes from good old times
    Last edited by Salvatorel; February 21, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Be like Ostrich and you'll be happy
    Be an idealist and you'll stay optimistic... If life allows you

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatorel View Post
    still these stereotypes from good old times
    It's true - all Caucasians are womanisers.

Just to add, about the gypsies. Best not to make any kind of contact. At all. Even if they're talking to you, following you, shoving merchandise in front of you, just ignore them and keep walking. As soon as you pay the slightest bit of interest, that's it, to them it's a signal they can separate you from your money (and most of the time they can, it's quite amazing ).

I haven't been to Azerbaijan myself, but I grew up in central asia, so I know something about national reputation. Central asians are all considered cunning and slippery by Russians (keeping in mind that Russians are typically direct and not conniving). However, Azeris are considered thick not only by other asians, but by Russians too, which should tell you something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast