Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DLV 6.1: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Updated 9/16/09)

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: DLV 6.1: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Updated 9/16/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Slon80 View Post
    I remember something I read on some TWC forum about merchants: take some cheap unit and join with the merchant (or few of them - but that will be a cheating ) then place this unit on a really valuable resource. This way all assembled merchants are making money from the same resource and foreign merchants can't take over their business. Also our merchants are safe from pushing off from the spot by passing by agents or military forces.

I must say that I've never tried this so I can't tell how it works but I thought maybe someone will find it useful.
    Cool, I belive we got that covered in chapter 9, Advanced Merchant Guide and Resource Glossary:

SGfNP-->Merchants and resources. Update: 13 feb. 09 (see Monopole [SPOILER] by. TWmadman and dacrazymofo.)

The thread is still not finished.*hint*
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Madigan View Post
    I ran a test, here is the result.

My Byz merchant traded silk in Venice territory, (he's finance was 10) for 1248 gold.
    I signed a trade agreement with Venice, and checked my merchant right after that (not
    after end turn),
    his income was 1664.
    So, after the agreement was made, the income was exactly 1/3 higher than the
    original value.

About the synagogue fix: it seems, if the line "introduction_<faction name> 1" is replaced
    with "is_the_ai 0" then it's OK.
    But it's my personal fix and i not a modder, so i will definitely report it in the bug thread.

This is a very useful guide, keep up the good work!

Nice work there. + Rep. I will change the wording in that section to be more accurate.

SMALL UPDATE:

Added several clarifications in Section 5: Settlement Management

Added tip by Madigan on Merchant Income

Best mod ever.Great work,guys.

Post scriptum. Thank you for the guide.Awesome stuff.
    Last edited by bire; November 23, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Alright, Back after a long vacation ( actually I was moving house half-way across the country)...

I've got DLV reinstalled after a break playing Dragon Age (ha).

I want to start updating for 6.2... What should I tackle first in your opinion to make the guide 6.2 compatible.

I suppose a banking section would be helpful, no? What else does it need to be an official 6.2 guide?

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Welcome back Xtiaan!
    We missed you...
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

banking section would be nice!

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Hey welcome back, Xtiaan

Thanks guys. Good to be back.

Well, I'm all patched up.... That took a while! I'm going to give the new BB a whirl and I'll take screenies for Banking Section as I go along.

Cheers.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Bump...

Leonnidas's Avatar Semisalis

Great, still here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mr. X, have you tried playing with good consistent reputation on DLV before?

DLV Civic
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Man, I'm too busy right now to do anything DLV but pop in and see how you guys are doing every once and a while! Addict for life though!

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Stickied. It seems this thread has to be bumped quite often, and it clearly offers a tremendous amount of tips and info for players new to the DLV style.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

One side-note which may be sqeezed into Chapter 4/5 somewhere :

Order incrase with law 20%: Affect public order and reduce corruption.
    Order due to happiness 20%: Affect public order and increase growth.

(L. to R. Franciscan Hermitage, Hesychast Monastery and Sufi Big Tariqah)

Ergo, Franciscan buildings is a better choice suited for capitals, and citys which you want to expand quickly. This building will quickly increase growth and maximize the wall level easier. Also well suited for far off colonies close to alian religions, since they add a religious boost.

(L. to R. Dominican Hermitage, Cenobitic Monastery and Sunni Madhhab Center)

Dominican chappels are better suited for most regular citys, to pump out the maximum cash to support your wars and expanding infrastructures. This building also works well close to historical & solid territorial borders, since they bring about cheap retraining traits for your large militia buildings and merchant cavalry buldings.
    Heirs, rather then useless pricesses. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349829
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; April 25, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Hello, I've got a question about the "Crown Duty". I've noticed that the longer it is on, the more the loyalty of you generals' fall until it's -5. The question is - how to restore it?

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

@Overlord.ru,

Not to be a jerk, but leave it off. I think the in-game description even says, it will cause your generals to become unhappy. The rule of thumb among most DLVers is to only use it once every five turns; I use it only when I need a quick source of cash, and then leave it off for 6, 7, even 10 turns.

Now, as for getting the loyalty back up, I think one way that has worked for me is utilizing the generals and their skills, i.e., sending them on campaign, fighting battles, building watchtowers, just moving around the map every turn, etc. So they don't feel so forgotten or "Unappreciated" I think is the word. Make sure they have something to do other than sit around in cities/castles plotting rebellion. Not a guarantee though, as those traits are hard to overcome. Good luck.

TQ

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

At last some attention Thx for the reply! I'll try it.
    Btw, I've got a question about the events like hunt, banquet etc.? Do you need to have your generals in the capital if you want some positive effects on them? Or their location doesn't matter? Because I've noticed that one of my nobles that also had "Unappreciated" trait and was in the capital after I accepted the banquet event, got boosts on chivalry and piety + loyalty, and "Unappreciated" went down to "Dishonored".

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

i have a question : can you choose your heir?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast