Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DLV 6.1: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Updated 9/16/09)

Default Re: DLV 6.0: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Improved, Revised and Condensed!)

UPDATE!!!

1. Guide is now properly indexed

2. Old Sections of the guide are now in Spoilers

3. New Sections and important updates are not in Spoilers and their index is tagged in red!

4. Getting Started Section has several important updates...Check post for details.

Next:

1.Proper introduction and indexed table of contents!

2. Next Chapter: "The Dark Ages"

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: DLV 6.0: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Indexed and Stream-lined!)

Looks very clean and professional.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Default Re: DLV 6.0: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Indexed and Stream-lined!)

This thread is truly amazing. I look here all the time to check somthing about some feature. Im looking forward to the chapter about the Dark Ages, I got some troubles there. Keep it up!

I got one question. How are the parameters in the medieval2,preference-file called that turn off the green arrows and turn on unlimited men on the battlefield. I couldnt find them.
    Last edited by Barendz; February 14, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!!

Your looking for this one Barendz,

disable_arrow_markers = 1

Cheers!

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Xtiaan what did you do with the campaign_ai_db for you to post it here?

Oh and btw: I altered the campaign_db family tree section, but it wasn't working. What should I do?

THanks in advance.

Bowden,

All my edu does is make a few changes to the Irish bodyguard unit for 6.0...Everything else is the same... The changes to the unit are listed in the Getting Started Section.

My 'DB" family tree file should work fine now...Thanks for catching that, I uploaded the wrong file. All good now

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <family_tree>
    <max_age uint="110"/>
    <max_age_for_marriage_for_male uint="65"/>
    <max_age_for_marriage_for_female uint="40"/>
    <max_age_before_death uint="111"/>
    <max_age_of_child uint="10"/>
    <old_age uint="54"/>
    <age_of_manhood uint="12"/>
    <daughters_age_of_consent uint="12"/>
    <daughters_retirement_age uint="40"/>
    <age_difference_min int="-5"/>
    <age_difference_max int="40"/>
    <parent_to_child_min_age_diff uint="14"/>
    <min_adoption_age uint="17"/>
    <max_adoption_age uint="30"/>
    <max_age_for_conception uint="50"/>
    <age_of_manhood_close uint="12"/>
    <max_number_of_children uint="4"/>
    </family_tree>

that is my fam tree in campaign_db, yet it isnt working.

Bowden,

I've uploaded another db file ... It's working for me great. If you want to do a quick test of it and see if it's all right. ( Ireland has a family member that comes of age in 2 seasons with the change so that is a good way to know it's working).

Should work fine.

Cheers

I know it's been a couple of weeks since the last update. I've had some requests for a Dark Ages chapter. I'm going to do that next. Also I'm going to add a table of contents to go with the indexing.

What do you guys think I should add after that?:hmmm:

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Xtiaan72 View Post
    What do you guys think I should add after that?:hmmm:
    mmmm merchant strategy ? religion bombing ? best practice for battles ? how to effectively use princesses ? a chapter on crusades ?

i'm sorry there are so many ideas maybe this is not even helping you

EDIT : this guide is epic. i always alt-tab to it when playing DLV to check on some details / strategy. 2 thumbs up!

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Force composition, overall "game plan" ideas, and what XiombargDei said are all good ideas.

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

I've been putting off 'military management' cause it's going to be a huge chapter... Unit caps...ect... But I suppose I should suck it up and write it I think it will be good to cover all the features unique to DLV first before other stuff. Thanks for the feedback guys...!

After that maybe....'Rebels' and how to avoid 'civil war'...Crowning kings ect, Using dungeons and reconciling with king...Another huge chapter....I better get cracking before 'Empire'...that is definitely going to cut into my DLV time for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by XiombargDei View Post
    mmmm merchant strategy ? religion bombing ?
    A guide on agents would be ridiculously helpful for me... anything from training spies and assassins to using merchants or priests effectively

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Nobo View Post
    A guide on agents would be ridiculously helpful for me... anything from training spies and assassins to using merchants or priests effectively
    I see your point, even if it's not a direct DLV feature. The thing that bothers me, is that i dont have the money to aquire a full agency to be operationell 24/7 before later age.

Is this what you looking for. Maybe a little more detailed version.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

I missed that thread Blackleaf...really funny

We need more on agents for sure.. Maybe we can revive interest in the thread you have going on that Blackleaf. As this thing gets more detail I'm going to need more input on this thing AKA HELP!

It will be more clear when I get done with the work this weekend... As there will be links in the Strategy Guide to the Faction Overview and Merchant/resource threads where we are collecting info and tips...

I want to do more threads like that that are linked through the guide so people can find and contribute to the info we are compiling even though it's not completely integrated into the guide yet.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, a sort of: Control the campaign map, without expanding your classic borders.

• Useing only agents
    • give/take a seattlement to create war/peace between nations.
    • How to use vassels, to get gigantic amount of money(glitch).
    • etc.
    It's not a DLV feature, but more a odd behavior from DLV-addicts.
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; February 27, 2009 at 04:25 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

You actually post a lot of devious strategies Blackleaf... Definitely the most Machiavellian player I have come across...How bout a chapter called "Devious Strategies"!

Ok, I've noticed a slight disadvantage to having the guide in spoilers...Unless the spoilers aren't opened from time to time my image hoster doesn't count it as a hit on the image and takes them down after a while.

If people are perusing the guide, I would appreciate it if people opened up some spoilers with pics in them occassionally even if they aren't reading that section... I'll try to remember to do it my self one in a while. If not I'm going to have to take the guide out of spoilers...Too much work as this thing gets bigger constantly reposting images....Unless someone has a free image hosting site that doesn't work that way...I use Picoodle. And it's great...They have never taken down one of my images as long as it gets a hit once in a while...

I'll make a note of it in the guide intro next time I update...Thanks for any help maintaining the guide!

Default Re: DLV 6.0: Strategy Guide for New Players! ( Mini-Mod Section Updated for 6.1!)

UPDATE!

1. Mini-mod section updated for 6.1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: DLV 6.0: Strategy Guide for New Players! (Mini-Mod Section Updated for 6.1)

I think you should either drop the spoilers, totaly.
    Or only put each Chapter/post in one single spoiler. That way, all the pictures are refreshed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast