Thread: Dakar, Senegal

seal's Avatar Civitate

Default Dakar, Senegal

I'm moving there in a few months. Anybody been there?

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Dakar, Senegal

Yes, I am part Senegalese.
    Honestly, if you have a lighter skin color, then you might have a slight problem. Otherwise you are fine.
    There is a nice mosque there, and it is also a World Heritage City member.
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay!
    Legio

seal's Avatar Civitate

I can't hide the fact that I'm a pale-ass redheaded white boy. Of course after living in Africa for the last couple of years, it's more like pink-ass redheaded white boy.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Why in the world would you move to Senegal?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

I think he is a Foreign Service NCO for the US Army.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

seal's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    Why in the world would you move to Senegal?
    Looking out of my window onto Kinshasa, DRC, Dakar seems a step up.

Ah, I didn't know that you were in an even place than Senegal (no disrespect). I thought you were American or European

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

seal's Avatar Civitate

Oh no, I'm a pure yankee.

WTF? So what are you doing in the Congo, or even Africa for that matter?

Or are you in the army, like Farnan said?

seal's Avatar Civitate

Yeah, I'm in the military. Traveling is the best part of the job.

Comes Limitis

I heard some pretty cool stuff about Senegal from a couple that are familyfriends and went there several times in the late 80s for anthropological studys. They really love that place. I guess it will be better then that human-swamp that calls itself Kinshasa.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

seal's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    I heard some pretty cool stuff about Senegal from a couple that are familyfriends and went there several times in the late 80s for anthropological studys. They really love that place. I guess it will be better then that human-swamp that calls itself Kinshasa.

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be nice to get in the car and drive around a little bit. You can't really do that here. Basically, because of infrastructure, one is essentially trapped 5 km by 5 km prison. My wife is especially excited to check out Youssan Dour's (I have no idea if I'm spelling that right) club. Plus, it's got a Club Med. How bad could it be?

Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. It'll be nice to get in the car and drive around a little bit. You can't really do that here. Basically, because of infrastructure, one is essentially trapped 5 km by 5 km prison. My wife is especially excited to check out Youssan Dour's (I have no idea if I'm spelling that right) club. Plus, it's got a Club Med. How bad could it be?
    Im already jealous and freezing reading that.
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

seal's Avatar Civitate

Hell, I sweat during a blizzard. Oh, to be back in Russia again <sigh>. I have no idea why the Army enjoys sending a freckled, redhaired kid to places where freckled, redhaired kids shouldn't go.

Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Hell, I sweat during a blizzard. Oh, to be back in Russia again <sigh>. I have no idea why the Army enjoys sending a freckled, redhaired kid to places where freckled, redhaired kids shouldn't go.
    "For Sam and country", you poor boy. I bet it beats the Iraq sands though.

seal's Avatar Civitate

Lord, you don't even know. I thank God every day that I had the opportunity to bring my family here. Plus, I can have a drink on occasion. Plus, nobody is aiming a weapon at me. Plus, I don't have to swerve around garbage on the street. All in all, it's sweet duty.

I imagine Dakar is going to be even better. I've learned my lesson about Muslim countries after my trip to Tunisia. What a wonderful country and people. No more stereotypes for me.
    Last edited by seal; February 13, 2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Eliminated drunken antagonism

The Fishman's Avatar Senator

Icon1 Re: Dakar, Senegal

I have two complaints about Senegal:
    1. Gambia stole their river.
    2. There are likely to be moths the size of your hand.

I suppose the second one won't bug somebody that lives in the DRC, but you should consider bringing your own river.

Good luck mate, been to angola and ghana is nearby i think and the only sweet thing about
    it is cheap booze/beer.
    The rest is a bit foggy

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Honestly just culturally assimilate and fit in and youll be fine, if you do nobody will care you are white.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

seal's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
    Good luck mate, been to angola and ghana is nearby i think and the only sweet thing about
    it is cheap booze/beer.
    The rest is a bit foggy
    Is it foggy because of the cheap booze/beer? I wish I could say the same for the Congo, but the jazz bar me and the wife used to go sold gin and tonics for 7 dollars initially, and in one year it went to 12 bucks. Hell, I couldn't afford it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
    Honestly just culturally assimilate and fit in and youll be fine, if you do nobody will care you are white.
    Believe it or not, I usually am culturally sensitive, although I do occasionally talk amongst the company of friends.