Thread: Greek City States Help

Default Greek City States Help

Hi, just getting back into playing RTW. I like this mod alot but i am playing on H/H GCS and within the first 20 turns Rome, Carthage, Makedonia, Seleucid, Pergamum, Ptolemai, and the Gauls have declared war against me, umm any advice?

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: Greek City States Help

As a nation of independent city states scattered across the Mediterranean, you are viewed as an easy faction to expand upon. My only advice is to start strong and begin gaining settlements fast. Otherwise you will remain a stepping stone of the major powers like it was in history.

You can also play on campaign M and battle H or VH.
    If you are playing on Alexander, diplomacy should be more reasonable, too.

GCS are all over the map. Keeping all your settlements and advance all over the map will be quite a challenge, and will not necessarily be fun. At the same time, this campaign give you the choice of creating a greek empire starting in different parts of the map. So, you could pick up a region or two, where you wish to expand (e.g., Greece and Anatolia; or Greece, Italy, and Sicily), and stay on the defensive in other regions and be prepared to loose the corresponding cities. This means you will have to give most of the financial resources to the priority regions. If you manage to expand quick enough in regions where you decided to be aggressive (to compensate the eventual loss of "less important" cities and keep your economy running), then you'll be fine.
    Btw, you have two choices: (i) to burn your "less important" settlements to the ground (I mean destroy all the building to get some starting cash, and use it for boosting your forces in other regions), move all the military forces from their to other parts of the map; and (ii) try to defend those settlements for as long as possible to get some steady income for some turns. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; February 06, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

get cydonia and rhodes to start off. they will give an important cash boost early on and no one invades those islands. cyprus might also do.

Quote Originally Posted by aznflea View Post
    get cydonia and rhodes to start off. they will give an important cash boost early on and no one invades those islands. cyprus might also do.
    Easier said than done fighting those rebel armies of Crete and Rhodes, formidable indeed. Have to divert a lot of troops to be able to fight those, hate the Cretan one the most with those amazing archers.

Hi, thanks for the replies, i've tried all those things and decided to take makedonia out first and that seems to work so far, but i did drop it down to m/h mainly because i don't like having battles every single turn and everyone declaring war on me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    You can also play on campaign M and battle H or VH.
    If you are playing on Alexander, diplomacy should be more reasonable, too.
    Do you mean to say that there is a version that doesn't use Alex.exe?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

@Stormer

Yes, when you install the mod, two shortcuts appear on your desktop. One is to play with BI, the other to play with ALX.

Oh damn it, why is it always that the best mods use BI?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician