Thread: help!

Laetus

Default help!

I'm really exited to play this campaign, as I don't know a whole lot about the Later Roman Empire, and I'm taking a class right now about the subject.

I downloaded BGD II and installed it into a clean BI 1.6 that didn't have IBFD or anything already on it. I was able to set up the launcher and everything, and the game loaded just fine, but when I went to start a new campaign, it said "Please Select an Item from the List."

I installed the 4-turn/year thing, and the new sound files. When I closed out of the game, this pop up was there:

"Script Error in 'rio/data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/desc_strat.txt' at line 28, Column 1.

Expected start date of Campaign or battle."

Any idea what that's from? Or what I can do to fix it?

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: help!

Quote Originally Posted by chriswethi View Post
    I'm really exited to play this campaign, as I don't know a whole lot about the Later Roman Empire, and I'm taking a class right now about the subject.
    I downloaded BGD II and installed it into a clean BI 1.6 that didn't have IBFD or anything already on it. I was able to set up the launcher and everything, and the game loaded just fine, but when I went to start a new campaign, it said "Please Select an Item from the List."
    I installed the 4-turn/year thing, and the new sound files. When I closed out of the game, this pop up was there:
    "Script Error in 'rio/data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/desc_strat.txt' at line 28, Column 1. Expected start date of Campaign or battle."
    Any idea what that's from? Or what I can do to fix it?
    Hello chriswethi and welcome .
    Which 4-turn/year scripts did you install? Before closing out of the game which campaign (463AD or 434AD) were you playing?

ayeaye Sir

Laetus

I installed the 4-turn/year script for the 463 campaign, and that's it.
    And I didn't even get a campaign to start. I tried to click "Main Campaign" and it wouldn't let me start anything.

I installed the 4-turn/year script for the 463 campaign, and that's it.
    And I didn't even get a campaign to start. I tried to click "Main Campaign" and it wouldn't let me start anything.
    Hi chriswethi,

Stangely it sounds like there is a missing 463AD start date in that file:

rio/data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/desc_strat.txt'at line
    28, Column 1

please go to that file and tell me if there is a 463AD start date there..Should look like this when you open the desc_strat.txt

start_date 463 summer
    end_date 578 summer

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Laetus

Alrighty... well, when I open up the desc_strat, and use "Go to" to get to line 28, it takes me right next to where it says "unlockable"

so it looks like:

end
    unlockable(this is where it takes me)
    end
    nonplayable

but a few lines below that it says
    start_date 463 summer
    end_date 578 summer

so Idk what's going on.

Alrighty... well, when I open up the desc_strat, and use "Go to" to get to line 28, it takes me right next to where it says "unlockable"

so it looks like:

end
    unlockable(this is where it takes me)
    end
    nonplayable

but a few lines below that it says
    start_date 463 summer
    end_date 578 summer

so Idk what's going on.
    Does it look exactly like this?

end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    slave
    end

start_date 463 summer
    end_date 578 summer

Laetus

Yeah, that's exactly how mine looks. The word "slave" is indented, but I don't think that matters, right?

I might uninstall and make another fresh copy of RTW BI 1.6 and try re-installing.

Yeah, that's exactly how mine looks. The word "slave" is indented, but I don't think that matters, right?

I might uninstall and make another fresh copy of RTW BI 1.6 and try re-installing.
    Yes....:hmmm: strange huh. But yes chriswethi, please reinstall I would even go as far as a new dl from the dl load site. Let me know how it goes.

Laetus

Hey, yeah I reinstalled and made sure everything was clean, and it seems to be working now. Thanks for all the help! I'm excited to get started!

Hey, yeah I reinstalled and made sure everything was clean, and it seems to be working now. Thanks for all the help! I'm excited to get started!
    Great! Glad its working..An interesting time in history and my favorite so any questions observations feel free. Just to note I'll have an Expansion to this mod coming out. Its a forever project that is always changing so any input from you will be appreciated and credit given.

Laetus

After playing for the past few days, just wanted to mention that I love the game. I have a question for you, though. Is there any way I can change the portraits of the family members of the Roman Britones? I love the faction, but don't like the way they look (barbarian haha.)

Ha, I can understand. I imagine I'd be the same way. I don't know anything about modding/scripting/modeling, but I could help you with anything historical. I have access to a classics library where I live, so if there's anything you'd want me to look up, I'd be happy to help :-).

After playing for the past few days, just wanted to mention that I love the game. I have a question for you, though. Is there any way I can change the portraits of the family members of the Roman Britones? I love the faction, but don't like the way they look (barbarian haha.)

Ha, I can understand. I imagine I'd be the same way. I don't know anything about modding/scripting/modeling, but I could help you with anything historical. I have access to a classics library where I live, so if there's anything you'd want me to look up, I'd be happy to help :-).
    Thanks chriswethi, Glad your enjoying the game

I originally had the Roman Britones as a Roman culture and they looked so 2end century like. They were so out of place up there lol. The IBFD team for the other mods here have come up with some awesome Roman portraits that bring together the 4th 5th century barbarian and Roman look together. I hope to add much of them in the next up grade after the one I got coming out soon.

any input..feed back and constructive criticisms I would appreciate.. certainly your knowlege and passion for this era would help this mod be better. I would like to think that I would be the first one to say the mod can be improved in some way...Chime in and post any time chriswethi.
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 06, 2009 at 03:29 PM.