Thread: The Challenge: Victor - Tale of the Week 24b

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The Challenge: Victor - Tale of the Week 24b

Elendil of Númeror collects his first TotW success! Congratulations!

Memories in the rain

The rain had been pouring for days. And on the vast, muddy plains an army marched. But not an army of shield and spear and sword. Not the glorious line of men dressed from head to toe in shining mail. Instead, the line of poor farmers, townsmen, and peasants, driven from their homes. No colourful banner, no honourable decorations glittered in the wind. The convoy blended into the field, the men and women wore the green of the muddy grass and the brown of the wet dirt.

Only one single man shone in his bright steel armour. He walked at the very end of the line and carried in his hand a sword. A sword that was the symbol of proud generations of Kings, now forever forgotten. On the chain mail, which covered him from head to toe, he wore a leather tunic. The tunic had the figure of a heroic knight woven into it. No one will ever see such a knight anymore. Gone, they are. The shade of a brighter past.
    And on a once proud and noble head, was laid a silver helm, decorated with the crown of a King. It glimmered with a golden light as hundreds of raindrops that fell from the sky reflected it's light.
    But what made this man apart from the others was not a steel blade. Not a set of chain mail. Not a tunic, not a forgotten knight that once rode on these plains, not a golden crown.

It was the eyes. Sharp, piercing blue, dulled by grief. Young by age, but they have seen much more than what they should have. And as those eyes gazed into the nothingness of the murky field, they could just see a towering line of smoke climbing into the clouds from the distance. What miles away was now nothing more then ashes, was once called 'Home' by every man and woman who marched in this army of refugees.

Around the King hundreds of small flowers bent their heads to the pouring rain, as if to mourn the things that were forever lost...

The line had gone long ago. No one looked back. And there, stoned, watching what remained of his past, stood a king. His tears spent, his life fading as the Sun set. A memory. A forgotten memory. And by the dawn, a memory was just another flower in an endless field.
    You Are The Senate:

Default Re: The Challenge: Victor - Tale of the Week 24b

Congratulations! I can't believe you beat me. . .
    Son of PW

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Next time, must we use a hidden poll? I can't cope with the shock well.

Thanks everyone who voted on me!

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Congratulations! I can't believe you beat me. . .
    No, no, what you meant to say was that you can't believe he beat me.

I was very fond of my entry, it seems unfair and actually rather underhanded to come along out of the blue like that and write something better without checking with me first (you can't be sure I would have said no).

Oh, and congratulations on the win.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

I think we'll stick with hidden polls for challenges, it fits the "serious" theme of this more.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

*Gives Juvenal and Theo a cookie*

Oh all right, all right, if you want to win so much I could give you my place... For a few thousand dollars, it would be suitable...