Thread: Book info? "Roman Warfare" by Goldsworthy

I was wondering if anyone has ever read the book "Roman Warfare" by Adrian Goldsworthy?

I was looking at picking it up but would like to get some ideas from anyone who read it as to how good it is first.It seems to have alot of information dealing with the rise of Rome through the fall of Rome.Also has alot of info on the Armies of Rome that seems to be quite interesting.

Turnus's Avatar il Flagello dei Buffoni

I'm actually planning to read this book, also (along with Goldsworthy's other books on Roman armies and warfare), so I can't tell you if it is good from first hand experience, but I had a look at Amazon.com, and from the reviews, it looks to be an excellent read.
    Force Diplomacy Modifications for Rise of Persia 2.11 Beta and Roma Surrectum 1.5a.
    Member of S.I.N.
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

I read the book a few months ago. It focuses mainly on the general aspects of the Roman warfare, mostly the evolution of the military warfare from the early founding of Rome to the fall of Western Roman Empire. It definitely gives you a very good idea on the warfare aspect. What I found lack are the detailed accounts of battles, however the book does have some diagrams depicting important battles such as Cannae, Zama and Magnesia, but not detail enough to learn the tactics.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Moved to Historic Arts and Literature.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

'Roman Warfare' is by definition more of an overview of the Roman army. If one would like a closer look in on classical Legions, 'The Roman Army - 100 BC - AD 200' by Goldsworthy would be a great read; really, a superbly researched book from which I derive lots of info from. 14 page bibliography, nonetheless. :>

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso