Thread: Cyrenaica Provincial Campaign - "foothold" strategy

Default Cyrenaica Provincial Campaign - "foothold" strategy

Having finally figured this thing out, I thought I'd share how I did it.

1) Take Cydonia and Salamis. They generate a solid amount of income and the AI is too stupid to attack them. They'll provide the economic base to fight a war with the Ptolemaic Empire.

2) BEFORE you head off to attack Ptolemy, send someone to recruit some mercs at Cydonia. You probably won't have enough $$$ early on to do it while you're there to conquer it, so you'll have to come back later. This turned out to be a VITAL step for me, because the mercs there are higher-quality Greek troops.

3) By this time, the TPE is probably already marching towards you. Head them off at Paraetonium and take the city. You can keep the PO high without very many troops and as long as you stay on the offensive, the TPE won't be organized enough to take it back.

4) Send everything you have south from Paraetonium and take Ammonium.

5) Take Memphis. This is a crippling blow to the Ptolemies and will set the stage for you to take out Alexandria. Memphis has a barracks, so you can recruit much better soldiers there than any of your other cities. Use your other cities to fill Alexandria with spies - hopefully you can avoid the garrison script.

6) Conquer Alexandria. This is it, the whole campaign right there. If you take Alexandria, your one immediate threat is done. The Ptolemies won't be a factor much longer, if at all.

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Cyrenaica Provincial Campaign - "foothold" strategy

finally, a Cyrenaica strategy! Always did enjoy that campaign! thanks man! +rep

Thanks htismaqe, this opening gambit seems to work quite well. A couple of quick questions, if you're still around the board:

-Do you build anything before taking Alexandria, or do you save all your starting funds for troop recruitment and upkeep?
    -Do you send all of your starting stack to conquer the islands? Or do you leave anything behind to discourage the AI from attacking you while you're at sea?

Ack, should have thought of taking Salamis and Cydonia first. I went straight for Memphis with Magas and the starting army, and took it after a few hard battles, but my finances (and army) are in bad shape, so I've been on the defensive for the past few turns.

i tried to play a Cyrenica provincial campiagn and this strategy has really worked out for me.Thanks!

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

I started a campaign just for fun so far - I took cydonia first picked up[ the mercs on crete then rampaged through north Africa taking Alexandria - Nubian Spearmen kick ass really well - especially as u can recruit the mercs with 2 chevrons and then replace the losees at an Aux barracks.

Only issue I had was I lost my navy to pirates winter of 279 BC - fought 4 consecutive battles - lost the 4th one

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm: