Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Lucius was less than pleased at being spoken down to.

Very well, Quaestor, I can explain to the plebs why we have broken one leg with the taxes for the war but now we insist on breaking the other because we wish to to hoard money away for future building plans? I won't be long willing to give my support to such a plan.

Looking annoyed Sicinius quickly looked the other way.

We must accept peace from the Greeks. We have no military thoughts against them and we should initiate trade immediately. Their ports are very rich and would bring great wealth to Rome.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; February 03, 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus adressed the two Senetors seperately.

"Senator Quintus Volero, I must say I like the idea. However I fear that the Greeks are too arrogant to go into such a deal. We should remain with simple ceasefire and trade rights.

Senator Sicinius, you don't seem to understand. We are not keeping the taxes to hoard money and to hurt the plebs. We need the money to build the buildings that gives us the freedom to lower the taxes! If we go with neither of them we will remain weak and unprotected."

I disagree Marcus. We have already begun constructing buildings that will increase Rome's wealth. We may not have much money left, but this is no reason to continue forcing the plebs to pay wartime taxes. If anything, the citizens should only be required to pay high taxes to support Rome's developing infrastructure. Extortionate taxes are sapping Rome's vitality and forcing families into poverty. It has been over a year already of this, when is enough?

Celsus sat, thinking things over.

"Hmm, how about lowering the taxes in the cities that have the most cruel tax rates forced on them? Or the cities where the people are getting disorderly too much.(say, blue). It would be a solution to keep the taxes flowing at least until those buildings are built. Then I believe we can lower them all to normal."

There are not that many cities with punishingly high tax rates, only two in which public order is so astronomically high (and no, not by military suppression, before some of you suggest so) due to the efforts of Rome, that the people are happy to pay them. It is not much longer, and afterwards the economy will be in such good shape that such measures should never need be taken again.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I think the taxes should be kept at their current level until, either, we can afford to reduce them, or the people become so unwilling to pay them that it risks our security.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I will support any measure that will decrease taxes for Roman citizens. If anything we should tax the citizens of the cities we have just captured as heavily as possible without rioting. Station the legions there if need be. Tax those people for the damages they caused with their war.Taxes should be alleviated as much as possible for Rome now without jeopardizing the treasury. Even a little is better than nothing.

No, not at all Tribune! The taxes will remain only for as long as it takes for the new buildings to be paid for!

I will not see this senate draining the people of their money out of simple convenience!

People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

And if there is no other way, Senator Clarus?

I agree with Senator Sicinius and Tribune Marcellus.

Citizen

It is not simple convenience to tax the people to cover expenditure. We should tax them until he can afford not to. That is what I said, and I think you misunderstood my words, since you are implying that I wish to maintain this level of taxation, which I want to see reduce as soon as it is a possibility.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

You wouldn't be a very good 'Voice of the People', if you wouldn't want what is best for the people, now would you?

Celsus coughed at this last remark by Gallus. "This debate has been going on for weeks now, and it still seems everyone has the same opinion, and still everyone is arguing. What a spoil of time!" Celsus thought.

Quaestor Manlius took the word
    He was very glad, seeing that what he had predicted had became true: the Greeks offered a ceasefire.

Senators!

I am glad to see this offer from the Greeks!
    I say we accept it immediately and open trade routs with them!
    This was, however not incorperated in the motion, a part of the trade plan I said in my first Quaestor report!

I do not agree with Senator Volero though, for we have never had any hostilities with the Greeks, it was merely a mistake because of those foolosh Epirotes.
    They are no real Greeks! They never were, and never will be!

It would be a shame to see true Greeks suffer due to these foolish men of Epiros!
    Therefore, I ask not to request gold, nor anything else, but to accept this ceasefire, and open trade routs with them! (OOC: offer trade rights)

Senators! It seems our economy is starting to grow again!

After having talked to the Senate, he said to Varius alone
    Varius, if I did not know you from the Gallic front, where we fought together, I could have sworn you had been in Greece!
    What a poetics, what a words!
    I am sure we will see you climb high on the ladder of politics!
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Bah senator Manlius a greek is a greek, thy fear us now so this is the moment we should siege and ask from them what thy owe Rome for there conspiracy with Epiros. Thy challenged us and got scared when thy have seen how the gods them selfs raised our nation to domination of there allies. Now that thy ask for peace like scared children you refuse to take what is rightfuly ours?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Oh, rubbish, Senator. If the Greeks meant harm to us, they would've attacked us when we were weak, during the Social War. Indeed, they were about the only one of the local powers that did not join the fray!

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

This looks more like greek talk senator Crassus, are you a greek perhaps?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Citizen

I suggest the honourable Senator stop hurling such claims around the House. We are hear to argue the peace terms of the Greeks, and not to inspect the genealogy of eminent Romans. Now, let us do our jobs. Yay or Nay, do we accept the Greek's peace?
    Patron of Lysimachus

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    This looks more like greek talk senator Crassus, are you a greek perhaps?
    Crassus' eyes narrowed. "I have read their poets and I speak their language, Senator, as is the mark of the civilised and noble patrician."

Celsus swayed in his seat. What a group of bickering women!

"Listen to Senator Marcellus! Shall we accept peace, and try to squeeze out trade rights with the Greeks? I myself say yes, immediately. How about you, Conscript Fathers?"

I say aye, peace and trade!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.