Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

As Celsus walked by, Manlius stopped him and spoke to him directly

Senator Celsus! I hope you do not hold a grudge against me now, for I had expected you to win, since you are more experienced than me. But nonethelles, I stand here now as Quaestor, and I hope you will be next year's Quaestor, and for that I will give you my full support!

Manlius now took word for whole the Curia, speaking loud and clearly

Senators!

I have returned from my investigation and bring you my report!

For the moment, we have 7156 Dinarii in our treasury, which is not very much.
    However, after a quick look at the scrolls, I noticed we have a far to low income on trade.
    We only make 1364 Dinarii each three months with trade!
    Therefore, I have looked at what buildings should be constructed in order of making more money with trade.
    Here is the scroll of our current income and expenditure.

As you see, we are making the most income on taxes, and then farming.
    That is why I think it would be best to keep our taxes like they are now, untill our economy is in a better state.

Here is what I advice is to be constructed in our cities:

Ancona
    In Ancona I am doubting between two buildings:
    A Mercator (market) would certainly bring us more income for trade, and would make our population in this city grow, which would ofcourse result in a greater income of taxes.
    But constructing Rus (farm) would bring us more food, and thus more income too!
    However, the price of the first would be 2.400 dinarii and would take one year (4 turns) to be built, whilst the second one would cost us 2.600 dinarii and take a year and a half! (6 turns)
    Therefore, I have calculated our general income and such with the costs of the Mercator, since in my opinion this would be of greater benefit.

Paestum
    I have heard several voices saying that it would be best of we had Subiugatio in all our recently captured cities. But when looking at Paestum, I think this would be unwise to do.
    But if I look at what I would construct, I see many options.
    Because this is a city in full development, and a lot of things must still be built to make our trade income higher.
    The options I think we have:
    - Caupo (trader) : 1.200 dinarii : 9 months (3 turns)
    - Sinus (port) : 2.200 dinarii : 1 year (4 turns)
    - Ager (farm) : 1.000 dinarii : 1 year
    - Via (earth road) : 800 dinarii : 1 year

I have chosen the Via for now, because of two reasons:
    I do not want to drain the treasury, and we need roads for the other buildings to work properly. Atfer the roads, we can take care of a trader and a port or a farm. But first we need these roads.

Rhegium
    In Rhegium I would construct an Ager (farm) , which will cost us only 900 dinarii, and take one year. This way we will have atleast a minimum of food income in this settlement.
    Although Subiugatio wouldn't be so bad here, but it would cost us 1.600 dinarii and take 2 years to built.

All of this would cost us approximately 4.500 dinarii, which seems a lot of money regarding our current treasury.
    However, I think it would be in our best intrests if we did all this, for it will greatly improve our economy on the long shot.
    After calculations I have come to the sum of 5.000 dinarii that we will have left within three months (=1 turn)
    This is indeed 2.000 dinarii less than what we started with, but again, on the long shot, it will greatly boost our economy!

Here is the scroll with new calculations of money we will have after three months:

(OOC: imageshack isn't cooperating again, I will see to it to upload the pic later!)

You can check everything I said there, to prove that I have told no lies.
    Also, I would advice the Consuls to retrain the troops that are in Rome, it will only cost us 93 dinarii, which is nothing.

To end, I want to repeat the importance of enlarging our trade resource, partners and equipment!

Therefore, I would like to see a trade deal with the Greeks too, since trade with their ports in Sicily and the Greek mainland would do us good!
    I know we are at war, but I have heard of a Greek diplomat approaching our borders, and he may be ready to talk about peace, and trade.
    To give a quick overview:
    Ancona: Mercator
    Paestum: Via
    Rhegion: Ager

I think this term will not be one of battles, but one of strengthening our lands.
    Maybe some cities in the North can be captured, but then debating first would be needed.

Senators, I hope I have fullfilled your needs and hope that you will follow my advice wisely!

After having talked a long while, Marcus Manlius sat down again, gathering all his scrolls and reports.
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

AN intriguing report. Clearly there are many opportunities for development.

However, Quaestor, with regards to the retraining of the troops in Rome, we unfortunately lack the facilities to train new soldiers of that type. The report for retraining there only involves replacing some of their equipment and so forth.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Excuse me for that Consul, I did not check it very good, since it was not really my business!
    But I think one more unit would be better placed in Rome, since now there is a lack of defence.

OOC: damnit, I see the first pic doesn't want to show too.....
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus handed back one of the scrolls that fell from Manlius's hands and said to him while the Senate was buzzing,

"I thank you very much for your words. I shall give you my support in the future, as you shall give me yours."

Then said to the Senate,

"The Quaestor brings good news too. Rome is more fit then I would have expected. However, things must be done, and I agree that trade must be established. Thus I support the building of Roads and traders. I'm not sure what we could get with Ports, though."

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I support the Quaestor's recommendations. Trade is vital for our continued prosperity. The infastructure that is to be built will allow us to better compete against foreign trade, and we can build a trading empire, like those of the Greek Cities or Carthage.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Excellent suggestions Quaestor. I fully support your plan.

Sicinius begins looking at scrolls.

Gentlemen, I think we should retrain the legion in Rome as soon as possible. Although we are out of the thick, seemingly, we should be vigilant! Etruscans are still patrolling to the north and we must not trust the men of Confirnium. Although they did Rome a service by vanquishing our foes, they still consider us among their enemies.

Citizen

I oppose the retaining of Roman citizens in military service. They have been in the field for a year already, away from their families and farms. I suggest we recruit soldiers from Allied States, and not let Romans suffer from their victories.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Tribune, we already have far too many allies in our armies. If we keep pressing them into the field to fight their neighbours, I would not be surprised if they rose against us again. We do not even have enough Roman soldiers to make one consular army.

They will be retrained, but as we have no need to send soldiers into the field right now, they will only be pressed into service if they are needed.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Indeed you are right, tribune, but there must be a Roman core in all our field armies, and therefore the disbanded or destroyed maniples will need a Roman replacement.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Marcellus brings up a good point. We could combine the veteran maniples together, disband them, and seek fresh recruits for the legion. We shouldn't assume that Rome's young men are unwilling to serve in the field. I know that many a pleb young man finds military service to be a means of bettering social status. My forefather did.

Those that serve should reap the rewards, but we must offer other Romans the opportunity to serve r we shall become no better than the cowering Carthaginian fools that rely on unloyal mercenaries to do their dirty work.

Senatus Consultum Militaris

-The senate advises that the legion stationed in Rhegium be moved to Rome. Once there the veteran Roman maniples will be disbanded and fresh maniples drawn up from among Rome's willing.

This is my provisional proposal. We will need to iron out just how much money we are able to spend on this and what troops we are to call for. What do the consuls suggest?
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; February 01, 2009 at 08:18 AM.

Retraining them will be quicker. And after the many battles of last year, most of our younger soldiers have gotten older, more experienced and more wealthy from plunder, and now fight as Principes. So this may be a good time for younger recruits to establish themselves. But with men such as the hugely-depleted Triarii, retraining them is the only option.

Consul, these men are not professional soldiers! They long to get home! They are pining for their loved ones! You would treat these men as were they mercenaries who have no life outside of soldiering!
    PLEBEIAN

But Falco, you treat them as if you know their wishes. Is this much better? We could let those that wish to return home do so, and out of the number left determine how many we should recruit to be bale to have two full legions on the field.

(ooc: we could do this by disbanding half of them, the ones that want to return home, and retaining half of them, the ones that want to stay?)

Crassus looked annoyed.

"I am bloody letting them return home! It's just that we should be ready to call them up to fight as veteran Principes and Triarii incase anything happens! What if the Etruscans attack? What if Carthage invades? We can't beat their mercenaries with an army of beardless youths.

Until a considerable threat arises, the men will not be pressed into active service."

Alright, I can see that they are needed. But let us at least make a solid term for them to serve, 5 years for example. After that time, their disbandment will receive the highest priority. As most have already served for a year, they would have 4 years left.
    PLEBEIAN

Citizen

And what if the Stars rain from heaven? What if the whole world is engulfed in flames? There will always be reasons for military men to keep Roman men from their fields. I know that we must have a force ready to respond to foreign invasion. Therefore I support the motion of letting those who want to go home, go home, and retraining the rest.

Men must be let go completely of the service. If there is a chance of them being called to the colours again, they will never live in complete peace and security. Retire those old, wounded and weary soldiers. Only re-enlist those that want to continue to serve Rome militarily.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I wish to bring an issue before the senate, one that needs to be discussed.

Earlier when the republic faced a great economic crisis a motion to raise taxes was approved, this is the third point of this motion.

III - It will have to be re-evaluated every year until we are out of debt (or until the senate stops this extreme measure prematurely), and if rejected only minor disapproval will be the taxation limit.

Now a time has come, that we are not in debt, i therefore move that taxes be lowered to the point they were before the implementation of this motion.

The crisis is over, the people of Rome and her allies should not suffer the economic burden of such pressing taxes any more!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

We are in need of soldier to protect Rome, but our soldiers also earned the right to go to there families and fields.

We should keep them in military service for at least one year. Merge the two legions to one strong legion so it will be able to protect Rome and its allies.

Our economy should get all priority, if it is up and running we will earn more money this way we can send our soldiers home and summon the new recruits for the legions.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Of course, Clarus. I propose we lower taxes to average across all settlements.

Thank you Consul.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.