Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

I think the point is that we invest the Praetor with Consular authority, promote him to that rank, since it is ingrained in the republic that we have two Consuls, and not just one. The only alternative, as I see it, is to promote Crassus to the Dictatorship, but I do not think anyone is calling for that.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Are we ever going to do anything? come on, make up your minds
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I agree. Appoint a praetor.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

The term is already drawing to a close. A praetor should be able to take the place of the second Consul without problems.
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; February 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Set up a vote which Praetor should go and deal with those rebels.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Galerius Priscus View Post
    No one bothered with the sudden appearance of the new Senator, only Varius apporached the young man, and sat next to him.

Greetings, Senator Claudius, welcome in the Curia...
    Thank you for the welcome, tell me. Have you decided who will take over for Consul Balbus?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

"It seems as though it would make sense for Herrenius to be made Consul since he came hird in the race. However, then, if you want to send a Praetor to take care of the situation, you will need to elect somebody else, because Scipio cannot take command."

"Please, work out a plan which actually will get as much power and glory for Herrenius as you desire, and when it is coherent, give it to me and no doubt I shall put it forward." Crassus spoke, grumpily.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Citizen

Alright, a Lex Pro Consular:

1. Herrenius will be invested with Consular power, and become Consul for the remainder of the term, in lieu of the deceased.

2. Herrenius will be given command of the Consular army in Corfinium, with Imperium to deal with the Corfinian brigands.

3. Herrenius can reenforce his position with troops for the Praetorian army in Capua.
    Patron of Lysimachus

We can not send you consul Crassus you are to important for Rome at the moment. With the upcoming elections we need you to organize supervise the elections.

I do not think our law allows it to promote a citizen without an office to consul because he came in 3 with the elections. I need to discuss this with my colleague Scipio.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Another thing - I do not even know if this is wise. The election results are days away, and the farcical consular race means that he's going to be Consul anyway. We should wait until then.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Citizen

Nevertheless, we cannot have only one Consul, one must be appointed. If we accept that Herrenius will be elected Consul, as we have no other option, than it doesn't matter if he his given a command, under my law, now, rather than in a few days, especially if, in those days, these Corfinian rebels burn, pillage and plunder Roman farms, and murder Romans. I don't think that is a reason for waiting, but I will respect the Praetor's report on the issue, regarding it's legality.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Lucius pulls Quintus aside.

For the love of Jupiter sir, please spare me the humiliation and volunteer to fight these rebels. I shall be the laughing stock of Rome should it even be voted upon.

Quintus nods and addresses to the senators.

Senators we have to do some thing about those rebels very soon. It looks like we will be discussing the matter of who or how we will get our second consul for some time, but the matter of the rebels can' t wait.

If my colleague approves of this and if it is granted by law i will put my self candidate to take command of the legion and reinforcements to fumigate this rebel nest.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I fully endorse Quintus. Good luck my friend.

Citizen

This has been in discussion long enough, and since no opposition has been raised, can we consider the motion passed?
    Patron of Lysimachus

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I consider Senator Volero as the man most fit for the destruction of the Corfinian rebels, let us argue about this no longer.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"Then, hurry up, and send out Praetor Volero. Deal with the threat quickly and let us not waste more time!"

Said Celsus and rubbed at his aching head.

"Um... yeah, send Volero!" said Herrenius, who had not really payed attention through most of the debate...