Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Icon6 Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Remains of the Roman Senate. Ignore the arm..

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 474 A.U.C.
    (Magistrates in the year 474 ab urbe condite - 279 B.C.)

CONSULES
    MARCVS ATIVS BALBVS ET CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS

CENSOR
    MARCVS DOMITIVS AHENOBARBVS AGELASTVS

PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
    TVRNVS RVTVLVS SAEVUS

PRAETORES
    QVINTVS VOLERO POSTVMVS ET LVCIVS SICINIVS SCIPIO

TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    MARCVS CLAVDIVS CLARVS ET MARCVS CLAVDIVS MARCELLVS

QUAESTOR
    MARCVS MANLIVS

OOC: There's way too many Marcuses
    EDIT: don't worry, I killed one!
    ---------

Save advancement schedule for this term:
    Monday 2nd, Friday 6th, Monday 9th, Friday 13th

NEW RULES - TAKING EFFECT THIS TERM
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; February 12, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Crassus

Marcus Domitius Ahenobarbus Agelastus walks briskly into the Curia, face fixed in stone as usual. Election to Censor was a feat, but not so much when not one opponent was prepared to stand against you. He sits on the consulars' bench and waits passively for the other senators to arrive.
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; January 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM.

OOC: Um...didn't I...like...win the elections for consul?

Caesar arrives in the Curia. He had been abscent for a time but now was time for his return.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Yael, sorry but you lost. For some reason one of the votes didn't register for Kal. Four names are listed, but it says he got 3 votes. So that makes 6 for wode, 4 for Kal, and 3 for you.

OOC: OO, I didn't notice that.
    But, still, one of the guys accidentally voted for wode, and asked for his vote to be changed to me. It is in a post in the voting thread. I thought we were 3 kal, 4 me and 5 Wode. Since Kal actually has 4, we would be in a tie.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc Yeah you're right, I'll open the runoff.

If you've got any more questions lets move this to the ooc thread.

Turnus strode in, having been present during the tumultuous year, he feels that the senate is deeply divided.

Let us start this year with a bit more harmony, shall we? First order of business, I suppose, would be the subjugation of the Italian states recently brought into Rome's folds.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Crassus stood up and looked around, unsure if he was actually Consul or not, and then looked down at the massed Senators staring back at him now expecting him to speak. Suddenly he managed to find something to talk about.

"Er, yes, Senator, absolutely. Well, I think we should instigate a policy of subjugatio in all captured territories, unless the city has no walls and is near our borders, in which case that should be our first priority I believe we have enough money to do that, but we will wait for the Quaestor's report."
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Senator Marcellus walks into the Senate, relishing the new term, in which he was real authority.

May I congratulate Senators Crassus and Balbus on their recent election. TO be elected twice consul, in a row, must be a great honour. Is the new Quaestor present, and is he ready to discharge his duties?
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Marcus walks into the curia sitting down in the front row, looking around at the other senators. The people had showed their trust in him again, and he was confident in his ability to defend the people against some of these other senators. He only hoped the new tribune, with which he disagreed on much and did not care for, would not cause much trouble.

We need reports, military, financial, and political.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco enters, sceptical about the coming year.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Marcus Manlius entered the Senate House, and took the word

Senators!
    I thank all of you who have elected me as Quaestor, thanks to you I am now Quaestor in his annis! Thank you very much for this!
    In fact, I thank all Senators, for we are one united Rome!

Consuls, I congratulate you! Consul Crassus, congratulated with your close victory over Senator Spurius Herrenius, let us hope the Senate will not be dissapointed!

I shall immediately begin with making a report of our financiel situation, for that is what most of you are waiting for if I am correct!

Marcus Manlius stood up from his seat, and walked out of the Curia

One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus met the Quaestor as he was coming out of the Curia. He held no grudges - Celsus cared not who took the magistracies as long as they did their job well. He shoved in to the Curia and sat down near the entrance, after saluting the House.

Well, Senators, here are the reports from the end of my last term.

Firstly, our borders have of course greatly expanded. We are now by far the dominant force in Italy, and as a result, as we saw during the Social War, we have been attracting the attention of further powers such as Greece and Carthage. Here is a map of us and our neighbours:

As you can see, much of our information is incomplete. I suggest dispatching diplomats and spies to investigate our neighbours. We should also talk to foreign diplomats and try and exchange maps.

Diplomatically speaking, we are still at war with the following:

Carthage
    The Greek Cities

Whereas we have made peace with Illyria, destroyed Epirus, and have a truce with the Italian states.

The Greek Cities are the dominant force on Sicilia, and are hostile towards us and will not sign a peace treaty. Therefore, I suggest we take steps to guard Rhegium, primarily the construction of walls.

Next, the military report. Here is the state of the two legions, stationed in Rhegium and Ancona respectively:

Other than a couple of spare maniples of Italic infantry in Capua, this is the muster of our Republic, minus garrisons.

There are no immediate threats at the moment.

Personally, I believe that the depleted Roman (not Italic or Alae) troops in Ahenobarbus' legion should be returned to Rome and retrained, and he should recieve reinforcements from the Italic troops at Capua to compensate. We cannot afford to leave the region undefended due to it's proximity to the Greek states in Sicily, at least until walls are completed.

Once all our Roman soldiers are back up to full strength, we can examine how many soldiers we should keep active and our economic status.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; February 01, 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus rose.

"Good! We are powerful enough to hold most of Italy. I suggest that we do not make any offensive moves. We should build up our economy which has suffered much in the Pyrrhic War. Also, we'll have to strengthen our defences - build walls around towns and get ready to protect our borders. I suggest we try to send a diplomatic envoy to some neighbouring nations and make them sign trade proposals. Also, as our honourable consul has said, we should try to trade maps - we need to know of our surroundings!"

Please, Crassus! Let these men return to their farms and families. While they are in our service their farms are untended and the Republic must import grain from those Syracusan leeches.

Let those fathers see their sons, let husbands see their wives, let boys see their mothers. Let these men go home. We can call up new men, fresh men, motivated men, thanks to the censor's and your own victories.
    PLEBEIAN

Perhaps you misheard, Senator, but I suggested that the Roman infantry return to the city. The rest of our troops are allied and Italic, and are not Roman citizens, and it does not do to send them to the far corners of Italy whilst they are still needed as a deterrent.

"In that case, consul, I am sorry, but I also heard you mean to retrain those men. To my untrained ears that almost sounds like you wish to send those men back to the Limes. I implore you to send those noble Roman boys back home, they have served their Republic enough. I will grant you that we should not disband those maniples until we have sufficient replacements, but please, do not return them to active duty."
    PLEBEIAN

They should be retrained, but as of now there is no reason for them to leave the city.

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast