Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Steam FAQ

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Re: ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

Steam's a far better alternative to crap like DRM & SecuRom. That, and if it works for multiplayer, then i'll be damn glad it's on Steam.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

This is a FAQ, not a discussion about Steam.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Steam's a far better alternative to crap like DRM & SecuRom. That, and if it works for multiplayer, then i'll be damn glad it's on Steam.
    Steam don't prevent game fixes for a single player,and as COH relic on line we have a game key to play on line without DVD or ,if we don't want to be on line we just have to insert the original disk.
    And how many megas have the steam? After i try to DL it it seems to DL something else,so I stop,maybe I'm paranoiac but I don't want to have things that I dont understand in my PC.(in steam System Requirements say this:

* Windows 2000, XP or Vista
    * 64 MB RAM
    * 400 Mhz processor
    * 1GB HD space (recommended)
    * Internet connection (broadband recommended)

1GB is to much for a Trojan,Virus,Spy ware ,Protection or what you want to call to those big thing.
    Last edited by pajomife; February 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Steam annoys me, but its the lesser of all evils (when it comes to playing PC games online)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roman Knight's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry to be picky, but Steam is DRM. DRM is digital rights management, and SecuRom is a form of DRM, as is Steam. The problem with the creation of DRM is generally finding the balance between invasiveness and ineffectiveness.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Really? The others are passive. Steam is not. Its something installed on my PC, that I don't want, and certainly don't need.

Not to mention, its not safe. I had my account stolen, and lost nearly $100 in games. Its fairly common. And Steam CS is no help. Now I hear they have gotten better, but its still far from perfect.

So you talk about invasive, and this is as bad as it gets. All one person has to do is complain about you activity, warranted or not, and you account can be frozen, or canceled. So some kid you beat badly on some game, can report your account, and you screwed.

There are actual fool proof ways to combat piracy. At least two games released this year still have not been cracked. It has to do with a very innovative system of checks and balances on the DVD itself, that cannot be tampered with. So anyone who does install a pirated version, ends up with a unplayable game.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

"Not to mention, its not safe. I had my account stolen, and lost nearly $100 in games. Its fairly common. And Steam CS is no help. Now I hear they have gotten better, but its still far from perfect."

You email Valve and they will get it back to you within a day or so. You are the one who messed up and allowed someone to get your password.

"So you talk about invasive, and this is as bad as it gets. All one person has to do is complain about you activity, warranted or not, and you account can be frozen, or canceled. So some kid you beat badly on some game, can report your account, and you screwed."

This is wrong, this isn't paypal. You need proof as in video evidence.

Steam does nothing but better this game, the friends function will help online battles so much. All you do is shift+tab right click on friends name then invite.

The fact you can download the game again if you lose the discs, the fact you don't need the disc at all.

I really do support CA's move with going with steam. Those who complain about how it uses resources really need to upgrade their 1998 PC's.
    Last edited by Lebowski; February 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM.

lebowski
    you are the most rude disrespectful person i have seen online today

my experience with steam and empire is horrible
    the game takes for ever to load and i know its steam and not the demo

steam is a disgrace and an insult to gamers
    uanime5's Eras total conquest
    a Medieval 2 total war kingdoms mod
    featuring 10 campaigns covering the entire world
    each include different factions, faction start positions, and levels of technology
    Download>Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5

"the game takes for ever to load and i know its steam and not the demo"

Its either your computer or the game. I'm not being rude, nor does anyone making false claims against steam deserve my respect.

I have a lot of experience with steam and have used it since 2004. Steam is not the cause for the loading times.
    Last edited by Lebowski; February 22, 2009 at 02:03 AM.

I dont have issues with Steam itself, but i have issues with CA using Steam for game registration.

With previous Total War's, me and my brother could install them on both the family computer and his computer, we didnt crack it or anything, we just had to share (not that that was easy )

But now with steam and its registration system, even if he didnt want to play it online, we BOTH have to copies because, as far as i have read, there is no dual/multiple install system.

Thats an extra AUD$90 plus for a game only one of us is going to play online at all.

If someone could show me proof of being able to use one copy on two computers it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkraye View Post
    If someone could show me proof of being able to use one copy on two computers it would be much appreciated.
    Although I haven't tried it myself, theoretically you should be able to download/install it on multiple computers, and play on them (but not at the same time), as with all Steam games. In fact, that's one of Steam's best features, the ability to download games from computer to computer -- they're tied to your account. You should also be able to set Steam to 'Offline Mode' on one computer, and both play at the same time.

i am sure somewhere in the license agreement it says you can install it an unlimited amount of times on any computer

and i do not make false claims
    steam is an insult
    case closed
    uanime5's Eras total conquest
    a Medieval 2 total war kingdoms mod
    featuring 10 campaigns covering the entire world
    each include different factions, faction start positions, and levels of technology
    Download>Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5

You should be able to use 1 copy on several+ computers at the same time... but only in singleplayer or LAN multiplayer (all the PCs must be on the same network). It's been that way for every Steam game I've ever had.

Wow, looks i may have just slightly jumped the gun on this steam issue. But thanks for sorting that out, makes things simpler.

And just to clarify things a tad more, ill assume each copy can only be registered onto one steam account, meaning we will have to share steam accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wartz View Post
    You should be able to use 1 copy on several+ computers at the same time... but only in singleplayer or LAN multiplayer
    So if we have it on more than one comp, no multiplayer online at all or just one at a time?

Please, excuse my ignorance but I know you can't completely miss it

I get this message when i try:

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Here's a link to the home page.

My region is Japan - do you know if this is likely to be a specific user-related error, or when the demo will be available here?

Default ETW outside Steam?

I'm not sure if anyone have successfully done this, however, I wondered if any of you might know how I'd go about running ETW (Just the demo for now) outside steam.
    My problem is that when I try to run a game from steam, I get the small launcher dialogue/box and then I get a BSOD with a "*** STOP: 0x0000000F4" error. I googled it and tried some solutions but I haven't managed to fix it as of yet.
    So I figure I'd run the ETW demo outside steam until I fix it. I've done the same with Red Orchestra, Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour so I take it, it shouldn't be a problem, simply click the exe and you're good to go. But as you probably know, if you try to start it, it will just pop up with the steam login screen. I've tried looking through the different dll files and the ETW exe file itself in hopes of finding the string that makes it go through steam but to no avail.

So, if any of you had an idea of what to do to make it run outside steam, I'd appreciate it very much - I've been dying to play the demo for about 24 hours now and I'm slowly starting to loose my sanity
    Thanks in advance.
    Coming soon.

Default Re: ETW outside Steam?

As far as i am aware, ETW is "integrated" with Steam, it is simply not possible (legally) to run it without Steam in the background.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    My problem is that when I try to run a game from steam, I get the small launcher dialogue/box and then I get a BSOD with a "*** STOP: 0x0000000F4" error. I googled it and tried some solutions but I haven't managed to fix it as of yet.
    If you're getting an 0x0000000F4 STOP error then you may have some HDD issues. Try HD Tune. Grab the freeware version and do a full scan on the drive that Steam is installed on. You may have some erroneous clusters.

Running ETW without Steam is against the EULA and impossible without illegally hacking the executable. Which is of course, illegal. :P
    E8500 @ 4GHz (445x9) | TRUE120 + Noctua NF-12P | 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator (5-5-5-15) | Gigabyte EP45-DS4P | HIS HD4870x2 | TT Truepower 750w Modular | TT Armor+ | 2 x WD 640GB | Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0M View Post
    If you're getting an 0x0000000F4 STOP error then you may have some HDD issues. Try HD Tune. Grab the freeware version and do a full scan on the drive that Steam is installed on. You may have some erroneous clusters.

Running ETW without Steam is against the EULA and impossible without illegally hacking the executable. Which is of course, illegal. :P
    Thanks, I'll try that - although it happens both on my Steam install on the PC's HDD, as well as on the Steam install on my external HDD that I keep for game storage mainly so I don't have to download all my steam games again.

And yes, I figured it was probably illegal
    Coming soon.

Semisalis

If HD tune doesn't find anything try a fresh re-install of Windows. If that fails then I'm blaming your SATA or IDE controller which generally means a bad motherboard.
    E8500 @ 4GHz (445x9) | TRUE120 + Noctua NF-12P | 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator (5-5-5-15) | Gigabyte EP45-DS4P | HIS HD4870x2 | TT Truepower 750w Modular | TT Armor+ | 2 x WD 640GB | Windows 7 RC 64-bit