Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2045606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1474

Thread: Empire Steam FAQ

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

its so true its sad...

godspeed's Avatar Libertus

How can I tell if the 1.6 patch as been downloaded\installed via Steam? ETW menu page still shows version 1.5. In my ETW data directory the patch4 and patch5 files show as being modified/added on 4/4/2010 (and the checksum also). Is this the 'patch' or is there supposed to be a patch6 file also?

Has anyone had experience with reactivating an old steam account in order to play ETW?

The only steam game I have purchased was HL2, around the time it came out. I haven't accessed my steam account for ~4 years... of course the login failed. I recently purchased the M2TW/ETW retail package.

I have been in contact with steam support, who have now reset my password 2 times, for the past week... they are not succeeding- I have been unable to login to http://store.steampowered.com/ with either of the new passwords. Soon it will be 48 hours- which they say is "up to" how long it may take- since the latest reset.

Any advice? I have not yet installed the steam app, fearing that it might react badly without an account to login to.

Starting to get disillusioned...

Quote Originally Posted by earthling View Post
    Has anyone had experience with reactivating an old steam account in order to play ETW?

The only steam game I have purchased was HL2, around the time it came out. I haven't accessed my steam account for ~4 years... of course the login failed. I recently purchased the M2TW/ETW retail package.

I have been in contact with steam support, who have now reset my password 2 times, for the past week... they are not succeeding- I have been unable to login to http://store.steampowered.com/ with either of the new passwords. Soon it will be 48 hours- which they say is "up to" how long it may take- since the latest reset.

Any advice? I have not yet installed the steam app, fearing that it might react badly without an account to login to.

Starting to get disillusioned...
    Reading about the latest Darthmod, I decided I'd give ETW one more chance (having uninstalled it & Steam about 6 months ago). During the reinstall, I realized I'd forgotten my Steam a/c details, so I went through their retrieval process. I got my username sent to my old email address, so that worked fine. Now I just needed to retrieve my password.

They send you an email giving a temporary Validation Code, and a question you have to answer. Mine was 'What is the name of your school?'. Presumably I answered that when I created my Steam a/c but I'm not sure what answer I gave. After all, it is 35 years since I was at my last school. I used to work for the "School of Maths & Computer Science" at a University, so perhaps I gave that as an answer. Whatever, when I tried to answer the question on their web page and then type in a new password, one of those steps failed. According to their error message, EITHER my answer was wrong or my new password was invalid (why "either" you idiots; tell me WHICH ONE was the problem). I've tried lots of combinations of possible answers & new password strings but all fail.

So I get in touch with Steam Customer Support. First they need me to set up a web site a/c (different from the standard Steam a/c) so I choose username & password for that. I do that and ask for help. They send me back an auto-reply saying that before they can help me, I must prove that I still own a copy of my registered game. I must write my Help-Docket-Number onto the game Serial Number slip, photograph or scan that and send it to them (see below for the full complexity of the instructions). I, however, do not own a digital camera, nor do I have a scanner. I have replied saying this, but no response yet, 2 days later. Such fun. ETW looks so pretty in its Special Forces Edition box, gleaming away on the shelf, a game that I paid money for but now, it seems, am forever unable to play. Bless SEGA & Steam.

----- Extract of email from Steam C.S. follows -----
    Thank you for contacting Steam Support. In order to investigate this issue, we must verify your ownership of the software and associated Steam Account(s). If you purchased software through Steam with a credit card, please confirm the card type (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express), full name, expiration date, and last four digits of the card used with the order(s). If you purchased software through Steam through PayPal, please provide the PayPal account holder billing information (name and address) and the PayPal Invoice ID. The Invoice ID will be 16-18 digits long and comprised of only numbers. It may be listed as the Order Description Number. If you registered software purchased at a retail location, please handwrite your Support Ticket Number XXXX-XXXX-XXXX on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key (the number should not be written on a separate piece of paper or inserted with an image editor) and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key in .jpg format. Please ensure that you submit a full-color image, rather than a photocopy. If you have any difficulty locating the CD Key on the packaging, please see the following link: URL: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...7480-WUSF-3601 Example scans: http://support.steampowered.com/imag...366/cdkey1.jpg http://support.steampowered.com/imag...366/cdkey2.jpg After verifying your proof of ownership we will gladly assist you with this issue.

Yep... I feel that Steam is largely a ugly and unfriendly system when used purely as a DRM scheme, as is the case when retail games require it to run at all. I find the question of DRM to be highly complex due to the, seemingly, competing interests and won't elaborate...

Luckily for me, when I originally purchases HL2 I took the process very seriously and with great skepticism, hence I printed out my receipt and safely tucked it away in the original box in-case I might need to prove ownership in the future.

Fast forward to present day, I also luck out by being in possession of a digital camera, which I used to photograph my receipt + paper disc cover with cd key. I attached this to my first post to steam support.

Turns out, my problem with Steam support was that they ignored my query, re whether I should install the steam client in order to log in with the new password, 3 times... today there was a response advising to do this very thing, and it worked! So finally I have logged into my old account 8 days after first contacting support.

If they had only responded, in full, to my original question in which I stated uncertainty with whether to install the client before successfully logging into the website, I probably could have been done with this as soon as the first password reset.

Well, now onto seeing what the actual installation of ETW has in store for me!

Lord of the Isles, hopefully you can borrow a camera from someone... in the future, it's best to keep better track of various (and ever increasing in number) account info's and passwords.

Lord of the Isles, hopefully you can borrow a camera from someone... in the future, it's best to keep better track of various (and ever increasing in number) account info's and passwords.
    I know. Trouble is, when I began using computers it was many decades ago, and I always held it a point of honour never to write usernames & passwords down. But nowadays there are too many, so I promise I have already taken your good advice.

And happy to hear your problem is fixed, doubly so, since so is mine. Steam Support contacted me 2 hours after I last posted, with the news that they had reset my password, and telling me what it was. Now changed, a new Secret Question (recorded by me!) and I've been able to start up ETW.

So while I still have issues with the idea of Steam and some of their ways of doing things, I must be fair and say that my first experience of their support team is favourable.

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

UPDATE and a Technical solution for everybody experiencing trouble with Empire on STEAM, as I did (see my previous post + the Steam Apes for fun )

I actually had an answer from STEAM!!! My bad for making fun of them...

Here's the solution (copy/paste). I tried, It worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam Support
    Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The Steamapps folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, you will need to launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Additionally, please complete this process for your installed game(s):

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
    Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.
    I hope this helps

Default Re: STEAM FAQ: Connection Troubleshooting

Like other users , i disagree to steam policy about the use of their client , i had the first install and patching of ETW in progress from 2 days with a slow progress.
    No more games with steam i wil buy in future. I do not happy trashcan my money.

scarybandit's Avatar Semisalis

Yep... I feel that Steam is largely a ugly and unfriendly system when used purely as a DRM scheme, as is the case when retail games require it to run at all.
    And of course, like all DRM systems, it was cracked within days of release, making the pirated copy a superior product - at least technically for single player campaigns.
    Last edited by scarybandit; July 11, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    DRM promotes piracy.

My password for steam stopped working a few months back, so they sent me a numerical password.
    The password worked long enough for me to install the game and play for an hour or so, then I had to take off and do some errands.
    I returned. fired up my computer and when I tried to login using the numerical password they sent me it said no such account exists.

Once again I send for a password and they send me a different numerical password.

I type the new numerical password in and it says account doesn't exist. I write them about it, and they tell me to take a digital photo of my cd key, with the ticket number from the email they had sent, written on it. I do this and nada.

So far I've sent them seven photos of my cd key with the ticket number written on it and nothing has happened. , still can't login to play.
    I've sent them at least a dozen emails and the return reply always says "to login use your account name" and asks me the "secret" question, what was the password we sent to you?
    Well, there are two, neither work.
    Now I'm stuck with a game I can't play. I bought this new when it first came out, and there was a time when I didn't play for a few months as I was busy doing other things, so I guess they disabled my account.

I remember the password I originally used, but this one doesn't work. Guess I'm screwed.

It will be a cold day in hell when I waste my money on a steam game again.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Put a ticket in Sega/ support. Give them copies of all the Steam transactions and emails since. They made the deal with Steam.

Has anyone tried contacting the FTC concerning Steams practice of disabling your account, and then giving you a month or two run a round about getting it back?

My account was disabled sometime within the last couple months and getting it re-activated looks like it's not going to happen.
    I have sent them photos of my cd key with their ticket number hand written on it at least 20 times like they asked me to and they keep sending me passwords that do nothing to help me to log in. I must have received a dozen emails from them with the same password, and I keep writing them and telling them that the password doesn't work.
    Now they seem to be ignoring me, so I filed a complaint with the FTC against Valve since I am unable to use the software I purchased, and they seem totally unwilling to help.
    My game was purchased at Gamestop and it's the SF edition. We'll see what happens, if anything. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jeez. So, hugely impressed with the new version of the Blue and the Grey mod which is coming out for mid August, I went out this morning and bought a regular CD version of ETW not unreasonably expecting to bring it home, spend 30 minutes or so installing it and then getting to grips with the gameplay. Seems like I was being a bit naive though because although the back of the box told me the game would require ACTIVATING through Steam, it made no mention of DOWNLOADING it through Steam, something I personally would never contemplate doing. So whats the point of the 2 discs in the box I bought this morning? Drinks coasters maybe? I picked up NTW at the same time and thought for a few minutes about buying both games. Thank God I didn't!

You can instal from the disks and then activate with steam. If you have any problems the simple solution is to logout of steam before starting the instal or disconnecting the internet. But to be honest there isn't much to be gained from doing so, Steam will want to update you to the latest version as soon as you activate it anyway.

I apologise for the undoubted noobish questions I am going to ask.I went to the Steam website but couldn't find the answers. First off I admit to a terrible mistake in buying ETW through Steam at all. As a dedicated offline player of all the games I've got there is very little advantage to me in having the Steam version. I paid £20 for the discs and then because of the Broadband limits I've got it cost me another £16 to download plus of course I've used up 16gb of my hard disc drive. I would be grateful for any answers to my questions. First, the box came with 2 discs. When I installed only Disc 1 was used. What's Disc 2 for? Second question, if I uninstall ETW do I have to download it again from Steam or do I use the Discs and just activate through Steam.

Thanks in advance and regards. ellisam

Hi Ellisam,

I'm a bit confused by your post so I have to ask a few questions of my own before I can decide whether I can be of any real help.

You say you made a mistake by buying from steam in the first place. Are you saying that you bought ETW from steam?

If this is true, and it appears to be so as you mention the cost of the downlaod, then ETW should have already been installed before you took delviery of the disks. This probably explains why the install didn't need to ask for Disk 2 when you tried to instal it the second time. It basically means you have probably ended up buying the game twice, once by DL and once on disk, but you can't actually install it twice.

Perhaps, you could confirm that my assumption is correct here as it explains the situation your in more clearly.

Question 2: You should be able to just install the game from the disks and then just activate it on Steam. However, be warned that when you instal from the disks all you will get is the basic unpatched version of the game. Unfortunately, ETW was heavily patched after release to get rid of numerous bugs, and as far as I know these patches are only available by download from Steam. So, even id you avoid the initial DL to instal the local game files on your PC, as soon as you activate the product Steam will begin DLing all the outstanding patches.

This is a bit of a catch 22, as without the patches the game is virtually unplayable, but if you are on a DL limit the cost of all the downloads could be more than the cost of downloading the game itself. I don't really see an easy answer for you in avoiding the cost of these DL's, in fact, if your going to play Steam games you are going to have constant problems with auto-patches using up your DL limit.

The only way to manage this is to switch the auto-updates off, on all but the games you are currently playing.

Didz. Thanks for your reply. I bought ETW from my local software shop. In the box were 2 discs and following the instructions in the manual I put Disc 1 into my DVD drive. My computer immediately connected to Steam and began downloading the game. By the time it finished downloading it had actually downloaded something like 16gb. I see in the Forums here people talking about ' retail or Steam' version and I assumed it was possible to buy a retail version that plays straight out of the box like every other game I've ever bought.
    I fully understand what you say on Question 2 about the patches. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Regards. ellisam

Quote Originally Posted by ellisam View Post
    I see in the Forums here people talking about ' retail or Steam' version and I assumed it was possible to buy a retail version that plays straight out of the box like every other game I've ever bought.
    No I don't think this is possible. As far as I am aware ETW is a steam dependant game, but I may be wrong.

As for the installation it sounds like you inadvertantly triggerred the steam installation even though you had both disks. It probably didn't make a lot of difference at the end of the day as it would have needed to be patched before it would work properly anyway, and at least it ensured that everything was where steam expected it to be.

Hopefully, if you bought the disk version from a shop you saved enough money on the Steam price to pay for the extra DL requirement.

Did Steam do something (an update?) in the last 3 days or so to ETW? Suddenly I have a localisation.loc file that isn't working anymore. It comes from UPC 5.9. Does anyone know how I get or create a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post

This is a bit of a catch 22, as without the patches the game is virtually unplayable, but if you are on a DL limit the cost of all the downloads could be more than the cost of downloading the game itself. I don't really see an easy answer for you in avoiding the cost of these DL's, in fact, if your going to play Steam games you are going to have constant problems with auto-patches using up your DL limit.
    Does this mean that I could copy the Steam folder of 17.2 gig,( which of course includes the patches) that I now have on my HD, onto some discs so that in the event of a major problem with my computer and the loss of my hard drive, I wouldn't have to download the patches again?