Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Steam FAQ

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: ETW and STEAM

well my first steam experience is lasting from 2 hours ago untill now:

Your account creation request failed, please try again later.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

Default Re: ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

Hi

What about the Special Forces Pack that Steam is offering?

It's worth the extra-money? there will be no other way to acquire it?

Lucas the Great's Avatar Civis

I have a problem. My computer is slightly over the minimum requirements and I want to lend the game from my friend (for a day) to check if everything runs properly, without glitches and on which detail level. Then I'm going to buy my copy of the game. I've heard that Steam makes lending games impossible. It also prevents me from selling the used game on e.g. eBay. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas the Great View Post
    I have a problem. My computer is slightly over the minimum requirements and I want to lend the game from my friend (for a day) to check if everything runs properly, without glitches and on which detail level. Then I'm going to buy my copy of the game. I've heard that Steam makes lending games impossible. It also prevents me from selling the used game on e.g. eBay. What should I do?
    Install Steam/ETW on your Friends computer and log in, just uninstall Steam/ETW when your friend is done playing it.

Lucas the Great's Avatar Civis

And how to sell the game?

As itīs my first post, Hello.

A very informative post, added many things that i didnt know about ETW+ steam.

Lautaro, i do think that buying it is the only way to aquire the extra contents at the moment, and yes itīs worth the extra money in my opinion
    Last edited by Kolapso; February 06, 2009 at 03:35 PM.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kolapso View Post
    As itīs my first post, Hello.

A very informative post, added many things that i didnt know about ETW+ steam.
    Welcome. And yes, thank you for making this topic. Lots of lurv <3

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

1. Log into his Steam account
    2. Download and install E:TW (through his account)
    3. Try it out

You can 'lend' games through steam easily, just log onto the lender's account (with their permission, obviously). You can install E:TW on as many computers as you want with an account, just only 1 person can play at a time.

Semisalis

Steam accounts are non-transferable. It's against the Steam TOS to exchange your Steam account for money.

You also cannot physically sell any individual titles since they are locked to your Steam account permanently.
    E8500 @ 4GHz (445x9) | TRUE120 + Noctua NF-12P | 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator (5-5-5-15) | Gigabyte EP45-DS4P | HIS HD4870x2 | TT Truepower 750w Modular | TT Armor+ | 2 x WD 640GB | Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Do you have to pay monthly a fee for mulitplayer?

VC
    Emperor of Napoleonics www.Napoleonics.net
    The Lordz are recruiting; Click on signature for details

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Von_Clausewitz View Post
    Do you have to pay monthly a fee for mulitplayer?

VC
    No. This isn't Xbox Live.

Knight of cydonia's Avatar Tiro

Do steam games use a country lock because i ordered the E:TW special forces edition from a company in New Zealand and i live in Australia, so will it work. it is in the PAL region

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

steam+TW series=Win

i have always loved steam and its great friendliness. now that all my mates from TWCENTER will now be there with me makes it even better (steam is best application in the world imo)

if your talking about you get bored of the game and want to sell it on say ebay (blasphemy btw) i believe you can just take the game off your steam and all that good nonsense before you sell it. basically terminate its relation with your steam account
    Last edited by Alkarin; February 07, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
    You look great today.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of cydonia View Post
    Do steam games use a country lock because i ordered the E:TW special forces edition from a company in New Zealand and i live in Australia, so will it work. it is in the PAL region
    There's no region lock. The only effect region has on Steam is sometimes titles have their launch times staggered by regions to smooth over the download loading on their servers.
    E8500 @ 4GHz (445x9) | TRUE120 + Noctua NF-12P | 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator (5-5-5-15) | Gigabyte EP45-DS4P | HIS HD4870x2 | TT Truepower 750w Modular | TT Armor+ | 2 x WD 640GB | Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0M View Post
    There's no region lock. The only effect region has on Steam is sometimes titles have their launch times staggered by regions to smooth over the download loading on their servers.
    Oh really? http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../10/25/1845228

I have read the first post, and I am afraid I still have some questions.

I am a very traditional gamer, when I buy a game I like to believe that what's in the box is the finished product. This is why I dislike complicated add-on stuff that obviously requires a masters degree in computer engineering in order to be understood.

Now. 1). From what I understand Steam is not included in the install disc. Should I install the game before downloading the steam product? Or should I install the game after installing the Steam product? Why not make steam available in the game from the beginning?

2). Is the process automatic, i.e will I be forced to do a lot of stuff in order to make the game work as it should? Will my game detect steam on my computer and thereafter auto-calculate the entire process?

3). I still do not understand "the offline mode", I have visited the steam website and read all the instructions (obstructions), and it's all very vague. I never play computer games online (always offline), therefore I'm wondering if the "offline mode" will be automatic, i.e will a little box appear when I install the game saying "would you like to install Steam Online or Steam Offline?

4). Will the booklet that comes with Empire: Total War include a "step-by-step for dummies" guide of the installing/steam process? Because I simply do not understand the stuff proclaimed in the first post.

Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    I have read the first post, and I am afraid I still have some questions.

I am a very traditional gamer, when I buy a game I like to believe that what's in the box is the finished product. This is why I dislike complicated add-on stuff that obviously requires a masters degree in computer engineering in order to be understood.

Now. 1). From what I understand Steam is not included in the install disc. Should I install the game before downloading the steam product? Or should I install the game after installing the Steam product? Why not make steam available in the game from the beginning?

2). Is the process automatic, i.e will I be forced to do a lot of stuff in order to make the game work as it should? Will my game detect steam on my computer and thereafter auto-calculate the entire process?

3). I still do not understand "the offline mode", I have visited the steam website and read all the instructions (obstructions), and it's all very vague. I never play computer games online (always offline), therefore I'm wondering if the "offline mode" will be automatic, i.e will a little box appear when I install the game saying "would you like to install Steam Online or Steam Offline?

4). Will the booklet that comes with Empire: Total War include a "step-by-step for dummies" guide of the installing/steam process? Because I simply do not understand the stuff proclaimed in the first post.

Many thanks in advance.

Read My post please (+rep is much appreciated )

If you have more questions you can just PM me
    Studying the universal language of "Dude".
    Pretty hard when you don't speak english as your native tongue.

All people are born equal, but I am more equal than you!

Ever heard of pure weirdness?
    No?
    So you've never heard of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo John View Post

1 Steam is absolutely virus-free and 100% secure to use

2 It is completely free to download and to create an account

3 You just need to download it, which takes about 10 seconds if you have a decent connection, and then you have to update it (which is a completely automatic process, you need not do a THING) and log on to your user.

4 BAM! when logged on, you have all the data and all the rights that you have on that user. Just like MSN gives you the same status and things no matter where or what computer you log on to, Steam gives you the ability to download a game to your friends computer, if just you are logged on to your account. the trick is that you can only launch the games if logged on to that account in Steam.

5 All this means that if you (for some reason I do not see any sense in) have a gaming computer that is not hooked up to the internet, then pack it down and take it to a friends house, hook it to the internet, download Steam, wait for it to update, log in (or create account), launch it, put in the DVD (actually you dont even need that), YOU GOTTA ACTIVATE ON STEAM but theres an inavoidable button that says "Activate product..." type the activation key you got with the game, BANG! installing/installed, updating (probably) and then ready to launch.
    HERE COMES THE TRICKY PART!!!
    If you want to play after you have gotten home from your friends house you have to go to settings and ALLOW Offline Mode...
    You must be online to activate this, so the computer can store the informations needed to confirm that it is a real Steam Account.

Many thanks. Plus to reputation. Just one more thing: How do I find the "settings" to activate "offline mode"? Is that located on the steam website or in the Empire game menu?

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by random_samurai View Post
    That's one title. I've never heard of people having their accounts locked out for any other game because they bought it one place and then moved or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    Many thanks. Plus to reputation. Just one more thing: How do I find the "settings" to activate "offline mode"? Is that located on the steam website or in the Empire game menu?
    Well, Steam is a program by itself, so you can easily find the "settings" button when you have installed it.

When you are in settings it is just in the bottom of the window, but actually, as I just checked it out to be sure i found out that as a default the offline mode is activated, so you don't have to do a thing but install steam and activate Empire, then you can take the computer off the internet and start steam offline, ready to play
    Studying the universal language of "Dude".
    Pretty hard when you don't speak english as your native tongue.

All people are born equal, but I am more equal than you!

Ever heard of pure weirdness?
    No?
    So you've never heard of me?