Thread: Marriages

Is there anyway to boost the chances that your characters will get married?
    Right now, I have about eight female family members that are still unmarried.
    And most of them are in their 20s.
    So I am getting a little concerned here.
    Most of my male family members tend to get married before they are 40.
    A lot of them before then. So I am not too worried about them for the most part.
    Any help would be apreciated.

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Are you playing with 1.1/1.0 version? Since 1.2 your family members get married as soon as they are in your family

I am playing 5.4.

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by AlCord@Apr 8 2005, 05:43 AM
    ... Since 1.2 your family members get married as soon as they are in your family
    This response is absolutely not true.

Marriages occur with a Random chance for each family member that has reached a certain age. Once a family memeber has been married, they cannot remarry even if their spouse dies.

Unmarried female children will generate a chance for you to approve the new husband. The traits of the husband are pseudo random based on the VnV (Vices and Virtues) settings.

Unmarried male family members over the age of 16, will just draw a random number at the beginning of each turn to determine if the get to take a wife but this event does not ask for your approval.

Particularly for the feamle family members the chances of getting married are all RNG driven.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

Originally posted by Crandar@Apr 8 2005, 11:04 AM
    Particularly for the feamle family members the chances of getting married are all RNG driven.
    And, as far as I can tell, also the chances are greatly increased depending upon how many provinces you control. If you have a big family and few provinces, your chances for marrying a daughter to a new general or having a child be born to a current family will be much slimmer than if you are taking new provinces. I've sat stagnant with large families for long times then taken a province over and immediately gotten a new birth or marriage of a daughter (maybe a cap at some point keeps percentage of having children or marrying a daughter off very low).

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

Teleklos,

I beleive that what you are saying is definitely tru but I do not have hard and fast data to support it. Some players complain that marriages adoptions and even births may not be happening in their games and often these games include examples where the player is 150 turns into the game but hardly accomplishing anything in terms of expanding their empire.

It would make some logical sense for the game designers to include a factor that would suppress the further exapansion of the number of Generals/Governors in the family if the family is not doing anything to give these dudes a job.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

this is common sense though we all knew women really fell for the dashing hero types not the guy loitering in his fathers castle. But yes I've seen fertility related VnVs and ancilaries but nothing that could increase your chance of marriage. On a similar note is there a way to give your daughters traits? Would be an interesting if not funny little aspect of the game to end up with "homely" unmarried daughters vs. baby factories...

If your family member has the trait "Good Looking" or something like that. They will have a bigger chance of getting married.
    That is my experience.

Little of topic: I think that your family members should have more children then they do at this point. The highest number of children i have seen is 3. I mean back then it was quite normal to have 5-6 childrens with your wife, and some childrens with various mistress'. And it also stupid that the childrens cant die before they come of age. Child deaths was also quite normal.
    Dont know if this can be implented.

Rome Total Realism forum moderator.

Dane you might be onto something, the Handsome line i.e. (Good Looking) really only affects influence but I wonder if influence affects your marriage chances, also the ugly line has a negative affect on influence.. Seems logical and hey didn't kissenger say something about power being the ultimate aphrodisiac? Though Crandar has a bigger brain than i do he might have more experience.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The-Great-Dane
    Little of topic: I think that your family members should have more children then they do at this point. The highest number of children i have seen is 3. I mean back then it was quite normal to have 5-6 childrens with your wife, and some childrens with various mistress'. And it also stupid that the childrens cant die before they come of age. Child deaths was also quite normal.
    Dont know if this can be implented.
    The AI dont count children mortality. In that age the half (!) of children died before coming 'of age'. I think this way is better.

I tested a guy ~22 with wife 12. I gave a fertility bonus 99.
    Result: 4 children in 10 years.

I also had a roman family which almost died out.