Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What dissatisfies you in XGM?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: What dissatisfies you in XGM?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurlbut View Post
    I find this funny "Gaul is poor and full of trouser wearing barbarians, so try to avoid the temptation to press on beyond the alps. Instead you should go where the money is - either to North Africa, or Greece." Considering that historically Julius Casear's true purpose in invading Gaul was to sack them and loot their gold from their gold mines.
    If you sack Gaul then you can make some good money out of the place. When I play Rome I often send one good stack on a rampage through Gaul to finance a larger campaign on another front.

One of the things that I didn't really like in XGM was the colonies/culture feature. It would be nice if it could be made as one of the optional features that could be installed. Otherwise, very good mod and waaaaaay better than vanilla.

P.S Out of curiousity, is it possible to remove the colonies/culture feature?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Umpirelegions: Removing the culture mechanism cleanly would require a lot of work.

Arlin's Avatar Tiro

I never quite understood the colony thing... If you're Barbarian, it's best to make the barbarian colony even though you have the settlement pissed for a while. Same for west and east. But... I played Carthage and they confused me cause they could make both. Is it just to make the settlements happy? Which is weird cause the settlements were sometimes still really happy even when I took them from a different culture. Making my personal culture pissed off the natives and half the time caused the city to rebel.
    "Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world. No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution; the only wrong what is against it....."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you create colonies it allows you to build upper tier barracks, also you get a penalty if the faction leader's culture differs from the settlement. And there is a tax bonus.

its basically religon for bi if your faction leader differs or the family member in the city differs than you get a penalty.

Thanks, DimeBagHo.

i think the colony/culture has been done as well as it could be within RTW . Sometime's it annoys me as it really can slow down conquering but i think the game would be worse without it.

what you can do is give a permanent bonus to happiness in the port_descr_buildings file by making the governor building give alot of PO bonus and then you can just ignore the culture thing

Primicerius

That sort of defies the purpose of the colonies, but to each his own...

clone's Avatar Primicerius

you asked and i will answer .i hate everything has to do with vanilla rome total war but ok this mod is good
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Every mod in RTW has to do with Vanilla...

clone's Avatar Primicerius

with vanilla i mean units and building.the most mods use their own units or buildings
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    That sort of defies the purpose of the colonies, but to each his own...
    yeah i know. i usually keep the way things are but sometimes i really get pissed off with stupid rebellious towns that keep rebelling after 2 exterminations which is absolutely ridiculous. you cant kill every single person in a settlement either which is what i would do.

Did not read the entire thread, but here's my two cents.

Haven't been playing in a while, but what put me off XGM (despite being a superlative mod especially with regards to balancing enjoyability and historicity) was the AI bonuses. It basically forces a player to blitz, which ruins the game for me. I understand that the bonuses are there to ensure a competitive AI, but, as a player who leans heavily towards turtling, I cannot stress how much I dislike this aspect of XGM. I have no alternative solution to propose, though.

A smaller factor was Scythia, who, having hax horse archers (unbeatable in both auto-resolve and battlefield) and no immediate rivals in the steppe, often grow to epidemic proportions and spill out of the steppes. I propose halving the number of regions in the steppes and toning down the monument bonuses. Instead, how about:
    [1] a garrison script that spawns a ridiculously powerful stack
    [2] introduce powerful rebel and brigand presences in the rebel steppe towns and regions
    [3] introduce a rival faction in the neighbourhood: maybe the Bosporan Greeks or the Sarmatians?

[3] would also imo solve the problem of Thrace getting imperial-sized due to it being the only power in the area north of the Danube.

Also, I know this is a suggestion and not what dissatisfies me per se, but I think the Saba faction slot could be used for something else-- though it's probably fun to play as, it doesn't interact a lot with other factions early-on. It looks more like a candidate for a provincial campaign than a full-fledged faction, tbh.

Unlike many players, though, I have no problem with the current faction banners and logos-- in fact I love it.

The fact that you started this thread!!! perhaps "What would you like to see in XGM?" would be a better choice of words.....

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Well, current critics are much more friendly that those in the first pages.....

I dontīknow why some people discuss matters as if history were an exact science

Quote Originally Posted by chazap View Post
    The fact that you started this thread!!! perhaps "What would you like to see in XGM?" would be a better choice of words.....
    I have to disagree.

Too often people want to look at only the good parts and what they might be able to add, but it's just as important, if not more, to look at what might need fixing.

It's also good for people to have a place to vent their frustrations.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

I haven't played much XGM lately, but the new battle system for me changes the balance too much against the horse archer factions. Played couple of battles with regular and parthian HA against seleucids and it takes ages to kill even doriphoroi. the argiraspids are even worse - practically immortal. This by itself is not such a problem - but when in one turn i have to fight 5 similar battles because of the ai bonuses - it takes away most of the fun. Sorry if i sound harsh, since i don't mean to, but will there be alternative for the 2 hp system?
    Last edited by Kara Kolyo; March 11, 2009 at 03:54 AM.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Yes, missiles IN GENERAL are at terrible disadvantage. Its true that in those ages no battle in the "civilised" world was decided only by missile fire, but thatīs not true about the east. Western armies never managed to put a foot in deep PArthia or Scythia: Even Alexander did not defeated the steppe boys in their terrain: outside it, is another thing. Mithridates advanced over the scythians (was the fist one).....

But bacause he catched the scythians in their worst moment; power in the stepped shif to the Sarmatians soon and agains, steppes were untouched.....(and it is not entirely because lack of interest, as Ukranian lands are very fertile and iron and gold were relatively common among scytho-sarnatians)

I think that the 2hp point is good, but archers and SPECIALLY javelins need a re-boost, in their lethality or atleast in the number of arrows carried. THere were NO units "immune" to arrows in the past. I donīt care if the battles are eternal because HAs really normally won after tiring the opponent under hails and hails of arrows.