Thread: Nakharar's Basic Art: UV mapping

Default Nakharar's Basic Art: UV mapping

Hey this is the first of my new set of tutorials i got Photoshop yesterday and immeadeatly experimented and figured out how to UV map simply taking only a few minutes though i think without varients.

Its vital to have Gimp(free), photoshop or Paint.Net(free) all with DDS plugin(paint.net has it built in).

Milkshape is good but not completely vital but vital for part 2. Download KnightErrant's tool for UV mapping:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1888

Make sure you have downloaded Python. Extract that to wherever you want i did to my desktop.

-------------Part 1-------------

1) Get a model any model you want in .MS3D format and copy it to your desktop(prefably its alot easier)

2) Now double click on KnightErrant's tool. You should get this:

Open select the model you want by double clicking it. Now let the tool do its work for a period of time(shouldnt be more than a minute).

3)Now wherever the model is there will be two new DDS files. One attachments and one figure. You know have your UV map for attachments and figure which is done.

-------------Part 2-------------

1) This part will explain how to see which bit is which. After you have opened the UV map in whatever program you want get your paint tool and on every part paint a small bit like this. Save that as a .png(make sure you do). Save that as a different name so it doesnt overwrite.

2) Open the model in milkshape3d.

3) Click on materials tab, click on figure and in the first spot where it says none. Browse for your skin in .PNG or .DDS and double click on your skin.

Then changed the model view to textured by right clicking the model in projection and press textured.

4) You should now see something like this:

5) Make another copy of the UV map figure not the clean. And label using milkshape what parts are what like so:

6) Then using that you know which parts are what and youve UV mapped the model now skin it or ask a skinner to skin it but make sure you do it on the clean, remember you should have 3 copies of the same UV, one labelled, one coloured, and one clean.

Finished Product:

The WIP Sughdian Lancer of the Sassanids for EOR by Daxter:

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Nakharar's Basic Art: UV mapping

nice tutorial, very helpful!

what version of python are you using?

"Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?"Pope Julius III
    Want to add your own mercenaries? Read my Tutorial

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

lol sorry nak, but you can use the UV map tool inbuilt in MS3D to UV map and find what each bit is
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

thank!
    i serch Tutorial like this something like 3 weeks!

Edit:

Then changed the model view to textured by right clicking the model in projection and press textured
    i dont understand who to do it..
    Last edited by EVYATAR; July 19, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    lol sorry nak, but you can use the UV map tool inbuilt in MS3D to UV map and find what each bit is
    yep lol all is in mikshape

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

That milkshape tool isnt very good ive tried it a few times and its very hard to use i think

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

Editdosent matter
    Last edited by EVYATAR; July 20, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by Nakharar View Post
    That milkshape tool isnt very good ive tried it a few times and its very hard to use i think
    what its the easiest uv mapping tool I have seen man but will give a try to this tool also
    Last edited by IVIarkI2I; July 30, 2009 at 06:55 AM.

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Hmm.. when I run the python file a command line window pops up for a half second then it closes..

EDIT: Nevemind I tried downloading the version that was released just before this tut was written, now it works.
    Last edited by Dea Paladin; August 15, 2009 at 03:57 AM.

Hi. I downloaded the python program. But when i click 2 times on the .ms3d file. a prompt pop up start to work and then it close after 2 seconds without creating any file. I have installed the 2.6 version of python. Can you help me?

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

-Make sure all of the models are assigned to a material
    -Make sure none of the UV coordinates are outside the texture area

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

I wouldlove to skin it myself. I get the UV from my unit but they are all in one pile. What can I do?

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Could someone could answer my question please?

no disrespect ; this tutorial sucks i dont understand the way you are explaining this without any explanation is there any other tutorial sir?
    Last edited by colonel bolgin; October 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by St. Polycarpe View Post
    Could someone could answer my question please?
    Nobody answered Might be too late but well, you have to open milkshape's texture coordinator (ctrl+T) and move thing around so they do not overlay each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel bolgin View Post
    no disrespect ; this tutorial sucks i dont understand the way you are explaining this without any explanation is there any other tutorial sir?
    What do you want to do? The tutorial just explains how you can create a image file with the vertex coordinates so you can skin the model (it must be uvmapped already).

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Is there a tutorial for GIMP with pictures?

I can't get the UV-maping to work. Every time i move more than one part moves, it's always one part that looks messy. This happens when trying to merge other parts than those who have a different texture - like when trying to merge a new head to a different body. The hair of the new head has two UV-map skeletons and both move when clicking move..

Which means it get's messed up because the new texture have them placed differently.

Also, this guide has disappeared:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 13.19.45.png  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 21, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

I do manage to get the face and upper part of the hair to look as it should. But the problem is that when i move the UV-maping of the hair one of the parts is "falling out of place" - alas i have no clue how to move one without moving the other?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 14.39.44.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 14.39.48.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 14.39.49.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 14.39.51.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 14.40.00.png  

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

You know you can drag the cursor and make a selection box only around the red dots that you want to move.
    And if you only want to move two of the "red dots" (vertices) that have other vertices between them which you do not want to move then you can select one vertice normally and then hold shift and select the other one.
    Red dots are the vertices that have been selected and any action you perform will only apply to them.
    White vertices are non-selected vertices of the selected group.
    They will remain unaffected by your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    You know you can drag the cursor and make a selection box only around the red dots that you want to move.
    And if you only want to move two of the "red dots" (vertices) that have other vertices between them which you do not want to move then you can select one vertice normally and then hold shift and select the other one.
    Red dots are the vertices that have been selected and any action you perform will only apply to them.
    White vertices are non-selected vertices of the selected group.
    They will remain unaffected by your actions.
    Thanks, worked like a charm - I guess now it will be easier to UV-map those Great Sea-units who hadn't been properly UV-maped before.

This Daenerys Targaryen body was made by a friend of Auc129, and the face i took from the other model i previewed in the GoT:TW thread - the old model had an ugly face/head compared to this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 15.38.44.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 15.38.46.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 15.38.48.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 15.38.49.png   Skärmklipp 2017-05-21 15.39.13.png  

- The Havamal