Thread: DSl need help

is the speed between 1.5 mb and 256 that much of a diff i just want to be able to play games with out a slow down so can i play wolfinstien rome and battlefield will no to little slow down

My Webpage

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Don't know what you mean by comparing 1.5Mbps with 256. Either way, 1.5M DSL is plenty fast for online gaming. I'd go cable if you can afford it/parents, wife, girlfriend is willing/is available in your area.
    Current cable speeds are 4Mbps normally. Some ISPs offer an upgrade to 6Mbps(SUPER fast.)
    And for a little more you can get a T1 line(SUPER DUPER fast)

But, yeah, DSL is fine. :p

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Having a 256kbps connection or 1.5 Mbps means almost nothing in most current games. You will be able to play it without slowdowns. The slowdowns that you will get (whatever connection you have) are due to distance and connection problems. Some game servers also limit player's bandwith to 256kbps or even 128kbps. The main advantage of having a 4Mbps connection is not about online gaming, it about massive downloads, which will be a lot faster.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by Pent uP Rage@Apr 7 2005, 10:59 PM
    Don't know what you mean by comparing 1.5Mbps with 256. Either way, 1.5M DSL is plenty fast for online gaming. I'd go cable if you can afford it/parents, wife, girlfriend is willing/is available in your area.
    Current cable speeds are 4Mbps normally. Some ISPs offer an upgrade to 6Mbps(SUPER fast.)
    And for a little more you can get a T1 line(SUPER DUPER fast)

But, yeah, DSL is fine. :p
    From who can i get a T1 line for a little more then a 6meg cable line? cause as far as I know a full T1 line is extremely expensive

You can call your telephone service provider. In my area, comcast is king. For a 6Mbps cnxn it's about $60/month.
    You can get a T1 line from Ma Bell for $85/month.....it's not as expensive as it USED to be. A few years ago, a T1 line was about $1000/month.

here

Originally posted by Pent uP Rage@Apr 12 2005, 12:00 AM
    You can call your telephone service provider. In my area, comcast is king. For a 6Mbps cnxn it's about $60/month.
    You can get a T1 line from Ma Bell for $85/month.....it's not as expensive as it USED to be. A few years ago, a T1 line was about $1000/month.
    can you point me a link, because the lowest that I am able to find for a T1 line anywhere is about 250 a month, if you can I would really appreciate it since I am looking for one.

can you point me a link, because the lowest that I am able to find for a T1 line anywhere is about 250 a month,
    No, sorry man. I got a BellSouth ad in the mail a couple weeks ago that was offering a T1 line for $85/month for new business customers. I suppose it was a limited deal.

here

Get at least a 1.5Mbps. 256k simply doesn't work if you want to download, um, recreational contents from the web.
    Back to play MTW2...