Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: "Greece wants Alexander the Great statue in Iraq"

Romios's Avatar Senator

Default Re: "Greece wants Alexander the Great statue in Iraq"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I think people would travel to Thermopolyae whether there was a statue there or not. You are misattributing worth.
    To see what exactly except from the statue?
    This?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And about the tourism thing, i don't think a statue would help much in Iraq's case.
    Homo homini lupus

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I think people would travel to Thermopolyae whether there was a statue there or not. You are misattributing worth.
    Thermopylae and Gaugamela were sites for important ancient battles between two civilisations. If Iraq stabilises, I don't see why they shouldn't capitalise from every bit of history they have.

And nowadays there is not much beside the statue, to admire in Thermopylae. I remember how disappointed I was when I first passed cause the area isn't a narrow pass anymore. Well I was 10.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPERATOR_5 View Post
    "ATHENS - Greece on Tuesday discussed with Iraqi officials plans to build a statue to Alexander the Great in northern Iraq to mark a key 331 BC battle site which led to the fall of the Persian empire.

Greek Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis said she was involved in the talks along with Iraqi counterpart Hoshyar Zebari, who said: ‘It’s a great idea and we back it.’

The Battle of Gaugamela took place between Alexander and Darius III of Achaemenid Persia near the present-day Iraqi city of Mosul. It resulted in a massive victory for the Macedonians.

Alexander (356 BC to 323 BC) was one of the most successful military commanders of all time and by the time of his death, had conquered most of the world known to the ancient Greeks—going as far up to India.

After the Battle of Gaugamela, Alexander proclaimed himself king of Asia at the age of 25.

The project ‘must symbolise the reciprocal influence between the people’ of Greece and Iraq, the Greek foreign minister said, adding that Athens was ready to provide some of the funding.

Greece claims Alexander as part of its heritage, partly due to the fact that he was tutored by Aristotle."

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...=international

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidAN...ue%20in%20Iraq
    Lol shouldnt be Macedonians more interested in that than greeks?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Lol shouldnt be Macedonians more interested in that than greeks?
    hasnt that been dealt with in the thread already? ancient macedonians were pretty culturally greek back then... modern macedonians are the descendants of slavic immigrants to the region... (culturally if not genetically)

this kind of thing is not special or unique.. its common for nations to build closer relations by remembering shared history. there are war memorials all over the world to past battles and wars.. if you go to turkey, you'll find war memorials co-funded by the turkish, australian, british, french and new zealand governments.. go to france you'll find war memorials funded by literally dozens of countries.... hell, if i walk 500 meters from where i am sitting now, i can stand next to war memorials funded by the greek government, the british government and the us government and plaque celebrating australians fighting in new guniea on the papuan embassy.
    Last edited by antea; March 16, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by antea View Post
    hasnt that been dealt with in the thread already? ancient macedonians were pretty culturally greek back then... modern macedonians are the descendants of slavic immigrants to the region... (culturally if not genetically)

this kind of thing is not special or unique.. its common for nations to build closer relations by remembering shared history. there are war memorials all over the world to past battles and wars.. if you go to turkey, you'll find war memorials co-funded by the turkish, australian, british, french and new zealand governments.. go to france you'll find war memorials funded by literally dozens of countries.... hell, if i walk 500 meters from where i am sitting now, i can stand next to war memorials funded by the greek government, the british government and the us government and plaque celebrating australians fighting in new guniea on the papuan embassy.
    MMMm yes I think you are right , Macedonia in effect took Greek symbols and names to justify a more "ancient" and blasoned history , when their inhabitants have nothing to share with greece.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wow, Iran will get provoked by that idea.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

MMMm yes I think you are right , Macedonia in effect took Greek symbols and names to justify a more "ancient" and blasoned history , when their inhabitants have nothing to share with greece.
    And exactly this is one of the main reasons of the name dispute between Greece and FYROM.

Think of that.There is a documentery series about the "Great Greeks"-based on a format of BBC- by a greek channel http://greatgreeks.skai.gr/vote
    where anyone can vote.(the voting is spontaneous and at first anyone could vote whoever he thought he or she was a GReat GReek)
    Alexander the Great after 250.000 votes is first on the list.I was sure that from the first time the vostinf started Alexander would have been first,cause many Greeks see him as the greatest of the Greeks and somewhat the Ideal Greek ruler ,a father of the nation.
    Knowing Greek history through the ages this is not a surprise.
    Greeks had and have a majority of problematic rulers

Second is Georgios Papanikolaou,the famous doctor who made the test PaP for women (and therefore is first in Greek women's choices )
    Last edited by neoptolemos; March 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    And exactly this is one of the main reasons of the name dispute between Greece and FYROM.

Think of that.There is a documentery series about the "Great Greeks"-based on a format of BBC- by a greek channel http://greatgreeks.skai.gr/vote
    where anyone can vote.(the voting is spontaneous and at first anyone could vote whoever he thought he or she was a GReat GReek)
    Alexander the Great after 250.000 votes is first on the list.I was sure that from the first time the vostinf started Alexander would have been first,cause many Greeks see him as the greatest of the Greeks and somewhat the Ideal Greek ruler ,a father of the nation.
    Knowing Greek history through the ages this is not a surprise.
    Greeks had and have a majority of problematic rulers

Second is Georgios Papanikolaou,the famous doctor who made the test PaP for women (and therefore is first in Greek women's choices )
    Well I consider him a greek as well , as culture , tough in Ancient times the greek disliked Macedonians not considering them greek and considering more like barbarians .... isn't it?

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Romios's Avatar Senator

tough in Ancient times the greek disliked Macedonians not considering them greek and considering more like barbarians .... isn't it?
    That was due to the geopolitical competition between the greek city-states. The same way athenians hated the spartans and vica versa.
    Homo homini lupus

greeks dislike each other until nowadays it's a national custom
    A dead enemy always smells good - Alus Vitellus

formerly known as karakalos10

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Even neighboring towns in Greece dislike each other......
    Nowadays though we have modern terms to describe the ones we dislike but they are pretty close to ancients term "Barbarian"
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Romios's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Nowadays though we have modern terms to describe the ones we dislike
    Ah yes, quite funny ones i would say.
    Homo homini lupus

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789