Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: B:TW - Map thread [former Baltic mod of EE]

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Redoing the Baltic

Ah yes, indeed, I planned on using them in some areas already ^^, But they are not regions with income, and sometimes you do need that as well
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; March 02, 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

This mod looks nice! It also seems to be progressing nicely.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Another update on the progress, when I finish map_heights I'll post some additional screenshots. */me is proud*
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; March 07, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

The promised new previews and another update on the progress

Unbelievable awesome.

One tip though, in most cases, mountains looks better with impassable 64 64 64 instead of high mountain.

Indefinitely Banned

So many regions lol

I'm thinking of overhauling all the buildings, but that will be my second objective after I finished the v1.0 of the map.

any updates?

Of course I work on it but it s pretty useless to update here each (few) day(s)

great map

lol where is Slovakia? you showed us poland cities concretly Krakow is nearest Slovakia most of them

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

I thought Kosice was on it, but indeed, I reduced it to only one region

hmm Slovakian cities was more important in medieval in hungary becouse we have gold and this things in hungary was only farms

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

But Slovakia here is on the edge of the map and there is no Hungary at all. Also maybe you had some mineral deposits, but in the contrary very poor agriculture conditions, while Hugarian plains had some best soils in central europe.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm glad this is still moving. The baltic area has grown on me lately.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

I am currently working on trade resources, which is a **** load of work to get it right. I managed to find out where the mines were in medieval central and northern europe, but I'm still unsure about the Rus'ian part. The same goes for the other trade resources, e.g. hop. I know it is grown in Poland, but it is hard to find more than that. The German region is easier for they describe everything most of the time with "German thoroughness". The problem is mostly what, where and how much. As I dont want to give large groups of neighbours the same trade resources, this is a problem

Added new previews, the map is now something like acceptable, even without the trade resources. Yeah, I'm getting somewhere.

Finished my research on the size of cities, take a look and help me find data for the empty cells. **** that took longer than I guessed, for about a month all my spare time.
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; February 16, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

Yeah, It is definitely getting better. Now that I can see some screens including Poland, I can make some quick comments.
    Names, I don’t know why do you use German names for Polish settlements. Some corrections bellow:
    Oppeln - Opole
    Breslau – Wrocław
    Liegnitz – Legnica
    Siradz – Sieradz
    Troppau – I have no idea what is this. In general in this spot you should locate either Racibórz or Cieszyn.
    Cracau – Kraków
    Opatow – Opatów; though I’m not sure if this is suitable settlement, I would have to check that in book

Sandomir – Sandomierz
    Kholm – Chełm; also not sure if this settlement is the best solution for this spot
    Belz – Bełż
    Lemberg – not sure what is this, so it is not good settlement. I would move settlement on the west (on that river – San bank) and switch it with Przemyśl.

If you make some other shoots on Polish land I can comment it too. Sorry, but I can’t help you at this moment more, as I’m very busy with RL. I can check some more in my books but only after holidays, as I’m out right now. Anyway keep the good work on. There is still a lot to make that map beautiful and accurate, but you are definitely on the right track!

The reason I used German names is that I once started and didn't stop, besides I dont have to write "weird" letters like the ł, ś and the ż.

But I planned on changing the names for some settlements indeed.
    I thought of using medieval versions as far as possible, Siradz/Sandomir/Kholm is what I found as medieval versions.
    I dont like to choose the german or the polish side, poles on this forum are notorious for criticising non-polish names and that is why am careful to use polish names as default.
    Cracau is the latin version if I'm not mistaken, and it seems to be used quite a lot as Latin was perhaps the main language for the intelligentia, even more than else in Europe.

For the rest: Opole, Wroclaw and Legnica needs to be changed perhaps (although the influx of germans in Silesia was large).
    Troppau is czech Opava in south Silesia, Przemysl comes instead of Verden and is already implemented.
    Lemberg, also known as Lvov, Lviv, Lwow and Leopolis... seems to me an important city for 1300+ medieval europe
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; April 09, 2009 at 02:29 PM.