Thread: Escape Velocity Nova: A 2D Space Opera Extravaganza

Default Escape Velocity Nova: A 2D Space Opera Extravaganza

Welcome to this AAR that I've decided to start seeing as I'm getting back into one of the most fun Elite-like games to date. You can read up on EV Nova through a quick Google search, so I'll spare you the hassle of a long introductory spiel: let's get right down to the AAR.

The basic premise is that you're a pilot in a galaxy divided. It's the typical stuff; trade and fight your way to fortune and follow a storyline along the way. The game's simple to play but very versatile and engrossing as I hope you'll see in the coming updates. Get ready for a white-knuckle ride to spacefaring profitude!

You'll have some control over this AAR, starting with the key decision of the moment:

WHAT is our name?

WHAT is our nickname?

WHAT is our gender?

WHAT is our ship's name? (Not shown here, that comes after this screen; btw, it's a one-man shuttle)

N.B. I'm not even thinking about strict play. Even with a top quality ship a piece of bad luck can lead to you getting destroyed with no chance to react, which is all the more likely in the early game and extremely frustrating to say the least.
    Honk if you love Suvorov!

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Escape Velocity Nova: A 2D Space Opera Extravaganza

Omg, I spent many a night playing the EV games!

Not sure on names. Do you have maybe a ethnicity in mind?

Also, I mean, are you going to be a trader mostly, a captain for one of the confederations of planets, or a pirate? That really would play into a nickname.

I also usually named my Shuttle POS.

And I think a male would be in order.

Edit: Holy , I am not sure if I have played this one. I know I played EV and EVO...recall that I remember playing an EV game on my PC, once I got one..so I did play this one.

Edit2: Ambrosia is awesome...just sent me my old EVN code! Gonna start playing asap! Old memories!

I'm going to get my first few 100k credits trading/ferrying and then buy a decent combat ship. I'm not sure whether to let us bump into the storylines, as it were, or tell you straight up what's on offer and let you decide which way we go.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well if it were me, I would do the Sol-Kania-Wolfpack-Sol run...and then head for Auroun (sp?) space! Or to the Wild Geese as it were.

I should really post the available options and see what people think, with some short flavour text that doesn't give too much away:

Major (we can only do one):

Federation (Standard human civilization) - Crush the rebel scum!
    Rebellion (This should look very familiar...) - Fight for freedom!
    Auroran (Proud warrior race guys) - Restore honour to the Empire!
    Polaris (Elves in Space, but nowhere near as arrogant, thankfully) - Set right a great wrong!
    Vell-Os (Powerful psychics) - Escape from slavery!
    Pirate (Well, more free traders) - Yarr!

Minor (they don't stop you following another one once they're over but can lead to a major storyline):

Wild Geese (Space Irish) - Thrash out a peace deal...or not, depending.
    Bounty Hunter (They're legit) - If you can't figure this one out, you need help.