molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The Winner and destroyer of my dreams - Tale of the Weak 23

One man stands alone...

Juvenal

sooo close

Haha, 'twas a pleasure as always!

NEW Record 720 Views, 20 Voters

AMBITION
    Quintus Macrinus was a career soldier, Primus Pilus after twenty years service in the legion (the highest possible rank for a plebian). He had fought more battles than he could remember, so many that he could no longer account for all his wounds.
    Now the Empire was going to wrack and ruin with yet another pretender trying his luck against the Emperor. Quintus felt that there was something faintly unclean about having to fight other Romans, wishing fervently that the common soldiers would just throw off these pallid in-bred drooling cretins the Patrician class was serving up as officers these days and elect commanders from the ranks. Men of experience, men of skill, men who had proved their worth... in fact, men like Quintus himself.
    He sighed with despair. His new Tribune was energetic enough, but had a head stuffed with stupid stories of heroism and glory where battles were won by noble gestures rather than the application of intelligence and caution. He was darkly certain the idiot would get them killed in a manner likely to be celebrated by poets down the ages.
    After a series of costly skirmishes, Quintus decided to take matters into his own hands. The Tribune was already widely known to be erratic and given to rash impulses, so Quintus began adding a subtle poison to his wine to amplify this mood and hopefully lead to a fatal misjudgement.
    Then the Rebels attacked in force and Quintus and his men found themselves sorely pressed, crouching behind shields while a fusillade of pila fell amongst them before the enemy charge. From his position behind the Tribune, he saw the man start twitching and quivering with uncontrollable urges. Knowing that a foolhardy, and hopefully suicidal, act was about to take place, he quickly reached forward to unbuckle the Tribune's cuirass – just to make sure.
    Unfortunately the Tribune chose that moment to rush forward screaming some battle quote of the ancients, with Quintus, thumbs trapped in the Tribune's straps, drawn into involuntary pursuit.
    As it happened, the Rebels were defeated that day and Legionaries found the bodies of Quintus and his Tribune surrounded by enemy corpses.
    Ironically, their posthumous fame grew so great that Quintus was immortalised in legend as the Loyal Soldier, his contentment with his subordinate rôle and eagerness to sacrifice himself to protect his betters drummed into generations of recruits for centuries to come.

Last edited by molls; January 27, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: The Winner and destroyer of my dreams - Tale of the Weak 23

Congrats and great story, Juvenal. Anyway, look forward to next week.
    Last edited by Theodotos I; January 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Son of PW

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Thank you, I was fairly happy with my effort despite the rushed ending (ran into the word limit as usual).

Oddly, Molls' story was the other way around, strongest at the end.

As for you, Theodotos, I really envy your command of the language, my own writing seems to be limited to ironic anecdotes. I'm going to have to work to extend my range.

Still, another week another competition. Fantastic turnout last week, let's hope it continues.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Hmmmmm...My intrigues have been foiled again. Humbug & Hail to the Victor!!
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Excellent work Juvenal.

Congratulations, Juvenal.

And also congrats to mollsomg for the new records! Molls is doing a great job to keep this tournament alive.