Thread: How to Make New Buildings

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Default Re: How to Make New Buildings

1. Here are edb entries
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    building castle_market{
    levels castle_corn_exchange castle_market castle_fairground
    {
    castle_corn_exchange castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    agent merchant 0 requires factions { northern_european, }
    agent merchant 0 requires factions { middle_eastern, }
    agent merchant 0 requires factions { eastern_european, }
    agent merchant 0 requires factions { greek, }
    agent merchant 0 requires factions { southern_european, }
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2
    agent_limit merchant 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 600
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    castle_market
    }
    }
    castle_market castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3
    agent_limit merchant 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 1200
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    castle_fairground
    }
    }
    castle_fairground castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 4
    agent_limit merchant 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 4
    cost 2400
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }

}
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

2. Yes, i have this command in my cfg file.
    3. I have win xp, not vista/7
    4. I already tried this.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Please compress and attach you export_building.txt file and one set (3 pictures) of the picture files for castle_corn_exchange, regardless which culture.

Here you are.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

I meant the text\export_building.txt file - please send that one as well.

Edit: I went through your EDB and you have a lot of buildings with the castle prefix. Do any of them show text or pictures? The reason why I am asking is the possibility that the 'castle' entry may mess up the data base\references as it is a fixed term in the EDB - the default buildings only use a "c" as prefix, eg c_gunsmith.

Try changing one tree to that system and change the text and picture as well. Then try again. Example:

castle_corn_exchange --> c_corn_exchange
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah, sorry, i know what you mean. Take this
    Edit: Yes, the rest of the buildings with castle_ prefix works fine.
    Edit2: I changed prefixes to c_corn_echange like you said, but i still have default images.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hellvard; March 01, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

i have a strange problem too. game ctd until i put pictures in ui folder. now it works, but i don't have my pictures but default ( from rtw ). i put them in southern_european too, but still nothing. what i'm missing?

Blog Entries

A crash happens if the small pictures have different sizes.
    The default pic (RTW) will happen if the naming isn't correct (spelling) or it's not in TGA format.

You need the following pics:

...\[culture]\buildings\#[culture]_[building name]_constructed.tga - this is the main display and the size can be variable.
    ...\[culture]\buildings\#[culture]_[building name].tga - size should be 78*62
    ...\[culture]\buildings\construction\#[culture]_[building name].tga - size should be 64*51

The last two are for the building browser and the building display

exactly! now it works! thx again man!
    if u allow me to put this in the beginners way:
    first to edit EDB ( any scripting error will CTD )
    then put TGA's to culture folder with proper names
    finally add descriptions ( basic and culture ) to text/export_buildings or game will CTD
    hope this will help to all beginners ( like i am )

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

during mod test i have CTD when conquered other factions town witch have new building that i make. my faction don't have this type of buildings ( catholic monastery ) and i have CTD even when i first destroy building 100 % with my assassin. maybe it's not about building, but that did not happened when i conquer towns only with vanilla buildings. here is log, did not seen any related reports.
    M2TW.system.log.rar

Blog Entries

Post the EDB building tree entry and the export_buildings entries for this building.

EDB :
    building monastery_catholic{
    levels monastery_c
    {
    monastery_c requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level temple_catholic church
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 2
    population_health_bonus bonus 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    building monastery_orthodox
    {
    levels monastery_o
    {
    monastery_o requires factions { eastern_european, greek, } and building_present_min_level temple_orthodox church_o
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

and export_buildings:
    {building monastery_catholic_name}building monastery catholic{monastery_c}Monastery
    {monastery_c_desc}Whole culture of medieval Western Europe received the mark of the Church. In place of the pagan, secular philosophy that is cherished in antique, now is Catholic theology. Instead of cities that have disappeared or lost their importance, the center of the cultural life of the Middle Ages now have become monasteries.
    {monastery_c_desc_short}The monasteries were centers of cultural life in Western Europe after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
    {monastery_c_northern_european}Monastery
    {monastery_c_northern_european_desc}Whole culture of medieval Western Europe received the mark of the Church. In place of the pagan, secular philosophy that is cherished in antique, now is Catholic theology. Instead of cities that have disappeared or lost their importance, the center of the cultural life of the Middle Ages now have become monasteries.
    {monastery_c_northern_european_desc_short}The monasteries were centers of cultural life in Western Europe after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
    {monastery_c_southern_european}Monastery
    {monastery_c_southern_european_desc}Whole culture of medieval Western Europe received the mark of the Church. In place of the pagan, secular philosophy that is cherished in antique, now is Catholic theology. Instead of cities that have disappeared or lost their importance, the center of the cultural life of the Middle Ages now have become monasteries.
    {monastery_c_southern_european_desc_short}The monasteries were centers of cultural life in Western Europe after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
    {building monastery_orthodox_name}building monastery orthodox
    {monastery_o}Monastery
    {monastery_o_desc}Monasteries appears first in the East - Syria and Egypt, in the fourth century. They were a community of people who fled from the city, away from the allure of the world, "in the wilderness" where they could reliably "save souls." Later become a unique center not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine. All Emperors and Kings in the territory of the Eastern Roman Empire had invested large sums of money in the construction and development of of the monasteries.
    {monastery_o_desc_short}Monasteries are unique centers not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine.
    {monastery_o_eastern_european}Monastery
    {monastery_o_eastern_european_desc}Monasteries appears first in the East - Syria and Egypt, in the fourth century. They were a community of people who fled from the city, away from the allure of the world, "in the wilderness" where they could reliably "save souls." Later become a unique center not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine. All Emperors and Kings in the territory of the Eastern Roman Empire had invested large sums of money in the construction and development of of the monasteries.
    {monastery_o_eastern_european_desc_short}Monasteries are unique centers not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine.
    {monastery_o_greek}Monastery
    {monastery_o_greek_desc}Monasteries appears first in the East - Syria and Egypt, in the fourth century. They were a community of people who fled from the city, away from the allure of the world, "in the wilderness" where they could reliably "save souls." Later become a unique center not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine. All Emperors and Kings in the territory of the Eastern Roman Empire had invested large sums of money in the construction and development of of the monasteries.
    {monastery_o_greek_desc_short}Monasteries are unique centers not only of faith and spirituality, but also of culture, education and medicine.

do i have to add description for monastery_c for greek and eastern_european factions, and opposite for monastery_o?
    maybe i get CTD because of that? ( missing entries )

I don't think you have to have any culture descriptions at all (unless you need them to say something different)

{building monastery_catholic_name} &
    {building monastery_orthodox_name}
    are wrong though should just be
    {monastery_catholic_name} &
    {monastery_orthodox_name}

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I don't think you have to have any culture descriptions at all (unless you need them to say something different)

{building monastery_catholic_name} &
    {building monastery_orthodox_name}
    are wrong though should just be
    {monastery_catholic_name} &
    {monastery_orthodox_name}
    thus not affect game.
    i change script like u say, but still got CTD.
    building must disappear after town been conquered, right?

building must disappear after town been conquered, right?
    no, not unless you have a destroy_buildings thing in the campaign script
    the text displayed should be the one from the faction/culture that built it - or the plain
    {thing}
    {thing_desc}
    {thing_desc_short}
    ones if you haven't added culture/faction ones.

ahhh - in your EDB you've got

"religion_level bonus 2"
    but you haven't specified a religion at the start of the tree - look up vanilla churches to see how that works...

if you want it to switch according to who owns it then I think you need
    "amplify_religion_level 2"
    instead

Blog Entries

I agree, it would be the "religion_level bonus 2" that causes the crash because of the missing religion definition in the EDB. Defining the religion in the EDB will then get the building destroyed if the settlement is occupied by a faction with a different religion.
    The incorrect export_building entry {building xyz_name} will cause a crash when you go into the building browser but not otherwise. As long as you have the neutral descriptions the culture based descriptions are optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Defining the religion in the EDB will then get the building destroyed if the settlement is occupied by a faction with a different religion.
    I know everyone says that... but have you actually tested it in Kingdoms? I set up a load of new buildings in my mod that way and they definitely don't get automatically destroyed (I had to put it in campaign_script)

Have also given regions 'hinterland_info_xxx' buildings which carry a religion - they stay there and keep influencing the region towards that religion even when a different religion occupies it (trying to mimic permanent cultural tendencies)

well, i must say that's rocket science for me guys!
    for start i'll go the easiest way changing "religion_level bonus 2" into "amplify_religion_level 2" ( changing campaign-script is too much for me ).
    only problem now is that saved game is not compatible, so i must start all over again.
    i'll post the result ASAP.
    thx for help guys!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I know everyone says that... but have you actually tested it in Kingdoms? I set up a load of new buildings in my mod that way and they definitely don't get automatically destroyed (I had to put it in campaign_script)

Have also given regions 'hinterland_info_xxx' buildings which carry a religion - they stay there and keep influencing the region towards that religion even when a different religion occupies it (trying to mimic permanent cultural tendencies)
    My bad: you need the temple entry plus the religion to get the building destroyed. hinterland obviously makes the building indestructible, no matter what.

well, i must say i'm not good enough to resolve this problem, so i need help ( again... ). i add religion line in script, and change to amplify_religion but still is not good. building did not disappear after conquered by other religion and have wrong description. here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	308977
    i think script is good:
    building monastery_catholic{
    religion catholic
    levels monastery_c
    {
    monastery_c requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level temple_catholic church
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    amplify_religion_level 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    building monastery_orthodox
    {
    religion orthodox
    levels monastery_o
    {
    monastery_o requires factions { eastern_european, greek, } and building_present_min_level temple_orthodox church_o
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    amplify_religion_level 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

it's more realistic to player to decide to destroy or not other religions building, but if church is destroyed i think monastery must be destroyed too! right? no faction count no building present.
    any clue?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast