Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to Make New Buildings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to Make New Buildings

How to Make New Buildings

This guide assumes that you have unpacked the game’s data files using the method shown here: http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,5829,,10.
    Also, it is assumed that you have an understanding of the export_descr_buildings.txt file. For information on that file, see my export_descr_buildings.txt guide. I will guide you through the process of making new buildings – in that process I will make two buildings myself, the Royal Palace, and the Lampwright's Guild. Here is the code for those buildings:

building city_hall
    {
    levels town_hall council_chambers city_hall mayors_palace royal_palace
    {
    town_hall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { northern_european, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { middle_eastern, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { eastern_european, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { greek, }
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { southern_european, }
    law_bonus bonus 1
    population_health_bonus bonus 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 600
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    council_chambers
    }
    }
    council_chambers city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard M" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard V" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { venice, }
    law_bonus bonus 2
    population_health_bonus bonus 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 1200
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    city_hall
    }
    }
    city_hall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard M" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard V" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { venice, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Heavy Inf" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { turks, }
    law_bonus bonus 3
    population_health_bonus bonus 4
    }
    material wooden
    construction 4
    cost 2400
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    mayors_palace
    }
    }
    mayors_palace city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Forlorn Hope" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { hre, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard M" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard V" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { venice, }
    recruit_pool "Famiglia Ducale" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Heavy Inf" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { turks, }
    law_bonus bonus 4
    population_health_bonus bonus 5
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4800
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    royal_palace
    }
    }
    royal_palace city requires factions { england, france, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Forlorn Hope" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { hre, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard M" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Carroccio Standard V" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { venice, }
    recruit_pool "Famiglia Ducale" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { milan, }
    recruit_pool "Janissary Heavy Inf" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { turks, }
    law_bonus bonus 6
    population_health_bonus bonus 10
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 4800
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

As you can see, the Royal Palace is simply the latest in the line of administrative structures. I will also be making an all-new set of buildings, the Lampwright's Guild.

building guild_lampwrights_guild
    {
    levels lampwrights_guild m_lampwrights_guild gm_lampwrights_guild
    {
    lampwrights_guild city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus bonus 6
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 1000
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    m_lampwrights_guild
    }
    }
    m_lampwrights_guild city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus bonus 10
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 2000
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    gm_lampwrights_guild
    }
    }
    gm_lampwrights_guild city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus bonus 16
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 3000
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    As you can see, the guild provides huge law bonuses, which are caused by soldiers having access to better lamps to fight crime in the streets at night. Once the code is added into the export_descr_buildings file, the next step is to ensure that proper names appear in the game. To do this, you need to go to the text folder inside the main data folder. Look for a file called export_buildings.txt.strings.bin. Note that all of the files in that particular folder are in the .strings.bin file format. This cannot be modified, but a number of good converters exist. I suggest:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1006
    The only problem is that you need to have the Python scripting language installed on your computer. Once you have used the converter, you can open up the newly-generated export_buildings.txt file and will be presented with a number of text lines. Here's what you need to add in for the Royal Palace:
    {royal_palace}Royal Palace
    This is the official name of the building.

{royal_palace_desc}The Royal Palace represents the final frontier in terms of ensuring that the people of a great city don’t forget just who is in charge. This palace was commissioned and built under the watchful eye of the King himself, and will serve as home and office to whoever is appointed to govern the city.
    This is the long description of the building, used when you open up the building information scroll.

{royal_palace_desc_short}A Royal Palace does wonders to help maintain law and order, and also reduces squalor considerably.
    This is the short description of the building, used for the condensed version of the construction report scroll.

Keep in mind that you can make faction or culture specific names for buildings by using the culture and faction names; for example:
    {royal_palace_england}Tower of London
    {royal_palace_england_desc}The Tower of London represents the final frontier in terms of ensuring that the people of a great city don’t forget just who is in charge. This tower was commissioned and built under the watchful eye of the King himself, and will serve as home and office to whoever is appointed to govern the city.
    {royal_palace_england_desc_short}The Tower of London does wonders to help maintain law and order, and also reduces squalor considerably.

Once you have made your edits to the text file you can start working on the UI elements – the pictures of the building that show up in general. Navigate to your data/ui/southern_european/buildings folder. This is where the default images for all of the different types of building are stored. Basically, there are six cultures in Medieval II: Total War. If I am playing as, say, England, and I bring up the Building Information scroll for the Abbey, the game looks for the picture of the Abbey in the data/ui/northern_european/buildings folder, because England belongs to the northern_european culture group. However, if the game cannot find a picture of an Abbey in the northern_european folder, it will look in the southern_european folder, because the southern_european folder is the default folder for building images. The same holds true for all of the “UI elements”, or pictures, with the exception of unit cards. So from a modder's perspective, all you have to do is put your image in the southern_european folder, and it will all work. If you want to have, say, a different look for the northern_european buildings, then you can put a different image there. So anyway, navigate to your data/ui/southern_european/buildings folder. For the Royal Palace, put images in the folder and rename them to these names:
    #southern_european_royal_palace.tga
    This image will be the little icon that shows up at the bottom of the screen whenever you have a city selected.

#southern_european_royal_palace_constructed.tga
    This image will be the large picture that shows up in the building information scroll.

Next navigate to the construction subfolder and put in an image with this name:

#southern_european_royal_palace.tga
    This image will be the little icon that shows up in the construction scroll.

Congratulations! Your building is now fully functional! However, if it is a guild, then you will never get the offer to get it. Why? You didn't modify the export_descr_guilds.txt file. Before we do that, though, a short explanation on how guilds work. Each guild requires a certain number of guild points, specific to that guild (for example, the Templars require Templar points). These points are never seen in the game and are a hidden value. You gain or lose points by doing certain actions. Once you have a certain number of points for a particular settlement, then you will get the offer to build a certain level of guild in that settlement. So, on to the export_descr_guilds.txt file. This file is divided into two halves. The first half defines the different types of guild and the second half defines how you gain and lose points for specific guilds. To get my Lampwrights' Guild working, I will need to add this to the first half of the file:

;------------------------------------------
    Guild lampwrights_guild
    building guild_lampwrights_guild
    levels 100 250 500

This tells the game that I need 100 points to get the Lampwrights' Guild, 250 points for the Master Lampwrights' Guild, and 500 points for the Lampwrights' Guild Headquarters. The second half is the triggers. These are a set of conditions and effects. To get the conditions, download the Ultimate Docudemons, found here - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1579 If you have trouble opening the file, I suggest downloading one of two free programs – OpenOffice (recommended) or the Microsoft Excel file viewer. Go to the conditions page of the file for a list of conditions – note that not all will work. There is only one valid effect – the guild effect, used to add or subtract guild points. This is how it works:

Guild
    always goes first. Then you must specify a guild. Either type in the name of a guild after, or type “all” to have this add or subtract points to or from all guilds. In addition, you can type “this” if the condition mentioned a specific guild, but that may not work. Then you can choose whether to add or subtract points from the settlement mentioned in the condition, if there is one, by typing the letter “s” afterwards, to add or subtract points from all settlements other than the one mentioned in the trigger, by typing the letter “o”, or to add and subtract points from all settlements with the letter “a”. Finally, you specify how many points to add or subtract. For example, -10 will subtract 10 points. If this is all confusing, than this example may help.

Guild all s -1

This trigger will subtract 1 from the settlement mentioned in the trigger's points for all guilds. Congratulations, you now know how to create and edit buildings! This knowledge, along with the knowledge of how to make new units, will allow you to make basic, fully fledged mods of your own. Until next time,
    Mythic_Commodore

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: How to Make New Buildings

Very good work here.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Thanks.

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

I am having a problem, I tried to code in a new colony building, but the game keeps ctding with no error message

Code:
    building irish_colony
    {
        levels irish_colony
        {
            irish_colony city requires factions { ireland, }  and not hidden_resource ireland
            {
                capability
                {
                   recruit_pool "Irish Kerns"  1   0.34   2  0  requires factions { southern_european, northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, }  
                    free_upkeep bonus 2
                    happiness_bonus bonus 1
                    law_bonus bonus 1
                    religion_level bonus 1
                }
                material wooden
                construction  10 
                cost  3000 
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }

"Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?"Pope Julius III
    Want to add your own mercenaries? Read my Tutorial

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Might be because you are using the same term for the building tree and the level. Change one of them.

yes correct this tutorial is incomplete
    YOU MUST ASSOCIATE YOUR NEW BUILDING WITH A BUILDING TREE (hc limit 7 buildings per tree)

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Hi

quick question

I'm adding buildings to the stainless steel mod with latest RC/RR for my own mod.

Have 4 new buildings each a single level tree.

have done the EDB, .tgas and text as per instructions (using existing entries as templates.)
    have got to the stage where the game loads, pix show up n building browser, text shows etc.

only problem is the building browser index uses the internal EDB name eg government_parliament, rather than just Parliament.

herewith sample entry in the export_buildings.txt file:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

{parliament_name}Parliament
    {parliament}parliament
    {parliament_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {parliament_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {parliament_eastern_european}Parliament
    {parliament_eastern_european_desc}As the sense of national identity grows with increased prosperity and a rising population, it becomes essential that some form of representation of those powerful enough to want a say in the affairs of state to have a place to debate and even make decisions.
    {parliament_eastern_european_desc_short}A Parliament allows for representatives of the powerful to discuss and make decisions.
    {parliament_greek_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_greek_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_mesoamerican_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_mesoamerican_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_middle_eastern_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_middle_eastern_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {parliament_northern_european}Parliament
    {parliament_northern_european_desc}As the sense of national identity grows with increased prosperity and a rising population, it becomes essential that some form of representation of those powerful enough to want a say in the affairs of state to have a place to debate and even make decisions.
    {parliament_northern_european_desc_short}A Parliament allows for representatives of the powerful to discuss and make decisions.
    {parliament_southern_european}Parliament
    {parliament_southern_european_desc}As the sense of national identity grows with increased prosperity and a rising population, it becomes essential that some form of representation of those powerful enough to want a say in the affairs of state to have a place to debate and even make decisions.
    {parliament_southern_european_desc_short}A Parliament allows for representatives of the powerful to discuss and make decisions.

probably something obvious i've missed somewhere.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 27, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

Blog Entries

If you delete the binary file, the game will generate a new one provided you have a proper text file (hook symbol in file line)

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Finally solved the riddle of the error in the building browser index.

Having squashed three typos in the EDB as per system log error reports (!)
    I then went back to the export_buildings.txt file and eventually found a couple more typos. (!!)

Finally I noticed that some entries had internal_name_name entries, eg {government_parliament_name} Parliament

did that for my four new buildings and now the building index browser has the correct entries.

Should also add all the name entries (without text and curly brackets) in the export_buildings.txt file to the end of the
    export_descr_buildings_enums.txt file
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 28, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Every building tree (not level, but full on tree) needs a {buildingtreename_name} in export_buildings.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Is it possible to have faction specific ui elements? Such as a library for two factions which do the same thing but have a different picture?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

No images are defined by culture not by faction.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

It might be worth trying it out, keeping this in mind:

C:\...\mods\teutonic\data\models_strat\residences\faction_variants\teutonic_order

But then it only works with cultures in portraits too.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

I seem to have run into a problem getting new buildings to work. It's probably something silly I did but I can't seem to pinpoint it. Here's what I have:

In export_descr_buildings I have this entry:
    Code:
    building hyrule_castle
    {
        levels hcastle_core
        {
            hcastle_core city requires factions { hylian, }
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "Town Guards"  1   0.2   2  0  requires factions { hylian, } 
                }
                material stone
                construction  1 
                cost  2600 
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }

In export buildings I have these entries:

Code:
    {hyrule_castle_name} Hyrule Castle
    {hcastle_core} Hyrule Castle
    {hcastle_core_descr} The central throne from which the Kingdom of Hyrule is ruled.
    {hcastle_core_descr_short} The central throne from which the Kingdom of Hyrule is ruled.

In export_descr_buildings_enums I have these:

Code:
    hyrule_castle_name
    hcastle_core
    hcastle_core_descr
    hcastle_core_descr_short

and in ui\southern_european\buildings I have the following textures:

Code:
    #southern_european_hcastle_core.tga
    #southern_european_hcastle_core_constructed.tga
    #southern_european_hcastle_core.tga (in the construction folder)

Whenever I start up the game within seconds it CTD's, with no error in the log. That last thing it loads before the CTD is the ui textures for buildings though, so I am assuming my problem is probably the texture location? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    I seem to have run into a problem getting new buildings to work. It's probably something silly I did but I can't seem to pinpoint it. Here's what I have:

In export_descr_buildings I have this entry:
    Code:
    building hyrule_castle
    {
        levels hcastle_core
        {
            hcastle_core city requires factions { hylian, }
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "Town Guards"  1   0.2   2  0  requires factions { hylian, } 
                }
                material stone
                construction  1 
                cost  2600 
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }

In export buildings I have these entries:

Code:
    {hyrule_castle_name} Hyrule Castle
    {hcastle_core} Hyrule Castle
    {hcastle_core_descr} The central throne from which the Kingdom of Hyrule is ruled.
    {hcastle_core_descr_short} The central throne from which the Kingdom of Hyrule is ruled.

In export_descr_buildings_enums I have these:

Code:
    hyrule_castle_name
    hcastle_core
    hcastle_core_descr
    hcastle_core_descr_short

and in ui\southern_european\buildings I have the following textures:

Code:
    #southern_european_hcastle_core.tga
    #southern_european_hcastle_core_constructed.tga
    #southern_european_hcastle_core.tga (in the construction folder)

Whenever I start up the game within seconds it CTD's, with no error in the log. That last thing it loads before the CTD is the ui textures for buildings though, so I am assuming my problem is probably the texture location? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    it is not the textures, because the EDB does not concern with that. the .tga`s are simply the building icons, if they are not found then the engine uses the default building icon. no crashes should occur due to the building icons, as far as i remember.

hcastle_core, are you editing the core building? i have tried that...
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    it is not the textures, because the EDB does not concern with that. the .tga`s are simply the building icons, if they are not found then the engine uses the default building icon. no crashes should occur due to the building icons, as far as i remember.

hcastle_core, are you editing the core building? i have tried that...
    All I'm trying to do is just make a single building that trains units, no walls or anything special. Does adding "_core" give significance to the building in question or something of that nature?

Did you delete the export_buildings.string.bin or whatever it is called in the text directory? It will be rebuilt with the content of your .txt file

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by markhaselb View Post
    Did you delete the export_buildings.string.bin or whatever it is called in the text directory? It will be rebuilt with the content of your .txt file
    Yes I deleted it. It generates every time I start the game even though it crashes within seconds of starting.

EDIT: I decided to take the string file of export_buildings that is generated after I delete it and run it through the string converter to convert it back to a txt. I notice the entries I put in are not there. So Medieval 2 is regenerating the string file but without my new entries for some reason. Is there any reason why that might be?
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; December 06, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

You need an empty line at the end of the export_buildings.txt file, that may be the problem. Anyway, I copied your text and replaced the factions so they fit my mod. The building syntax is correct, it starts up. Now what I noticed:
    - if you use vanilla M2TW to start the mod, then you need all the cultural descriptions for the building, without them it crashes
    - if you use Kingdoms, then the descriptions as you put them should be fine, because I do it like that all the time

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by markhaselb View Post
    You need an empty line at the end of the export_buildings.txt file, that may be the problem. Anyway, I copied your text and replaced the factions so they fit my mod. The building syntax is correct, it starts up. Now what I noticed:
    - if you use vanilla M2TW to start the mod, then you need all the cultural descriptions for the building, without them it crashes
    - if you use Kingdoms, then the descriptions as you put them should be fine, because I do it like that all the time
    I added an empty line at the end and it still crashes moments after startup. I'm using Kingdoms too so I assume I don't need the cultural descriptions. Maybe I should add them in regardless though because I'm really baffled as to why this won't work.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast