Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Export_Descr_Buildings.txt

Default Re: A Guide to Export_Descr_Buildings.txt

I'm having a problem editing the file myself; anytime I try to edit anything at all the game fails to run. I tried a bunch of different approaches, but nothing seems to work. The weird part is I don't even get an error message, the game just starts up with the initial loading screen and then turns off. I noticed the file says it was made in a spreadsheet and not to edit it manually, so I tried using a spreadsheet application, but that didn't work either. Is there a special program I should be using?

Oh, and by the way I'm editing a mod file, not the core game file. Do I need to unpack the file or something? I didn't think so because it appears to be unpacked -- I could easily open it with wordpad and openoffice data, and start editing things -- but any edited file crashes, so maybe I'm not doing something properly when opening or saving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    I'm having a problem editing the file myself; anytime I try to edit anything at all the game fails to run. I tried a bunch of different approaches, but nothing seems to work. The weird part is I don't even get an error message, the game just starts up with the initial loading screen and then turns off. I noticed the file says it was made in a spreadsheet and not to edit it manually, so I tried using a spreadsheet application, but that didn't work either. Is there a special program I should be using?

Oh, and by the way I'm editing a mod file, not the core game file. Do I need to unpack the file or something? I didn't think so because it appears to be unpacked -- I could easily open it with wordpad and openoffice data, and start editing things -- but any edited file crashes, so maybe I'm not doing something properly when opening or saving it.
    U need only notepad or notepad++ for doing this kinda job. Since you are already modding a modded file in a mod i presume it has the IO command inside the .cfg file.

If the game doesn't launches then u have corrupted the file and made a change that is not valid and through the log file u can view where u made the error and how to fix it.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Re the O/P

Religions – requires region_religion catholic 90
    This Kingdoms-only line allows you to tie the requirement to a certain amount of religion. In the example, the building can only be built after 90% of the people in the region are Catholic.
    Has anyone got that to work? -

yes I have see:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...65#post8749865
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 08, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

hi,I'm trying to make a building for mongols only in urgench. Am i correct in as follows:

building governors_house_of_daruhachi
    {
    levels governors_house_of_daruhachi
    {
    governors_house_of_daruhachi requires factions { mongols, } and hidden_resource Urgench

in the EDB file. However I'm not to sure about how to place the "Urgench" bit.And how do i find the hidden_resource file?

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

You have to make a hidden resource urgench, in the hidden resource line (one of the first few lines in the EDB). The hidden resource is case sensitive.
    It seems (but it was about a year that I last edited the EDB) that everything else is correct.

Hi, thanks for the help. got it to work. Now all I need is how to give the Dismounted heavy Lancers, Halberds weapons instead. Or a mongol looking halberd unit.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

General tip: give the building tree a different name then the building(s) - that avoids confusion should you have to hunt errors, it also makes it easier for scripting.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

i have a question, can you help me??

i want to add another port tree just for a single city (eg. constantinople which is a capital...): it will be like this: port, shipwright, dockyard, naval_drydock, golden horn......also all the levels will be already constructed.......

the problem is that i want this tree to appear only in Constantinople instead of the regular port building tree...and not everywhere else... if for example i change the capital and move it to Rome i don't want that tree to appear there (so i cannot use the "capital" hidden resource...)

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: should i make a hidden resource like the guy above did?? but i don't want the regular port tree to appear in Constantinople..
    Last edited by SpyrosM91; February 07, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Blog Entries

Add that level to the regular port tree and add a hidden_resource requirement that can only be found in the region of Constantinople.

ok..Thanks!!

how do i make a building unbuildable, like i have built a "special" building in a certain city and i want no one to be able to build this building and all its sub buildings (level 1, level 2 and level 3) unbuildable. (i have personally been trying this and no matter what i do those factions still can build that building. maybe im not deleting them right?)
    nvm i got it
    Last edited by Toho; April 09, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Quick question. Can the building times for the Ai be made less than the player. Or if need be has it tobe allocated to a faction ie Player=England. Sooo
    gunsmith city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and event_counter gunpowder_discovered 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 800
    settlement_min city
    upgrades

and then script as above but. factions { england, } and event_counter gunpowder_discovered 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 5
    cost 800
    settlement_min city
    upgrades

this could be a loong script,please advise.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

good people of this forum i need some clarification on one matter; faction capabilities for builidngs. now, this is example code:
    HTML Code:
    m_masons_guild city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
    {

capability
    {
    recruit_pool "Bill Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { england, } 
    recruit_pool "Heavy Pike Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { scotland, } 
    recruit_pool "Partisan Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { france, } 
    recruit_pool "Halberd Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { hre, papal_states, sicily, poland, hungary, } 
    recruit_pool "Swordstaff Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { denmark, } 
    recruit_pool "Swordsmen Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { spain, portugal, } 
    recruit_pool "Italian Spear Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { milan, venice, } 
    recruit_pool "EE Spear Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { russia, } 
    recruit_pool "Byzantine Infantry" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { byzantium, } 
    recruit_pool "Urban Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { moors, } 
    recruit_pool "ME Halberd Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { egypt, turks, timurids, } 
    recruit_pool "ME Spear Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { mongols, } 
    construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 30
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    }
    faction_capability
    {
    construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 20
    }
    material stone
    construction 1 
    cost 2000 
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    gm_masons_guild
    }
    }
    this is the part i'm interested in: it is explained thet in this case it allows to build stone structures all over the map 20% cheaper. in all settlements, but what i wonder how the game sees that? there is no mention of the faction witch has this faction_capability, so do i have to add it and where? or the game automatically takes only players faction in account? thnx

Blog Entries

It applies to the faction that has build this building, kind of check through 'ownership'.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It applies to the faction that has build this building, kind of check through 'ownership'.
    ok, but does it applies only if player's faction has built that building or it applies for all the factions in campaign? for example: i want dwarves (scotland) to recieve special bonus income from mines. i thought of achieving that by faction_capability but if it applies to all factions there is no sense in doing that...
    so can you maybe explain little more?

Blog Entries

Faction capability means it applies to the faction that has build this building and it applies to the whole faction (all settlements).
    There is a tut in the org that includes faction capabilities (at least I have read one quite while ago) in which this is explained in detail.

Found it!

Building Blocks - Faction_Capability

These are similar to capabilties except they are applied faction-wide rather than just in one settlement (regional). For example, inserting:

Code:
    faction_capability
    { 
    construction_time_bonus_defensive bonus 50 requires factions { parthia, }
    }

after the Capabilty block of a building (and before the construction line) will, when such a building is built by Parthia, reduce building times of defensive structures (i.e. walls) by half in all Parthian settlements.

Hey, my game crashes upon looking at the building tab.
    It all began when I tried to add in buildings which had strict construction limits to build and then a religion requirement to actually begin training units. It is from Uanime's Eras Total Conquest mod, 1230 Mongol Invasion, to be precise.
    Here is an example, they all follow the same process-

building aztecs_city_enclave
    {
    levels aztecs_city_enclave aztecs_city_settlement
    {
    aztecs_city_enclave city requires factions { aztecs, } and building_present_min_level barracks town_guard and building_present_min_level smith blacksmith and building_present_min_level indochinese_barracks indochinese_town_guard and building_present_min_level market market and building_present_min_level city_hall royal_council_chambers
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus -2
    recruit_pool "Indochina Spearmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Swordsmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Archers" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Heavy Swordsmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70

}
    material wooden
    construction 6
    cost 9600
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    aztecs_city_settlement
    }
    }
    aztecs_city_settlement city requires factions { aztecs, } and building_present_min_level barracks city_watch and building_present_min_level smith heavy_armourer and building_present_min_level indochinese_barracks indochinese_city_watch and building_present_min_level market fairground and building_present_min_level city_hall royal_city_hall
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus -3
    recruit_pool "Indochina Spearmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Swordsmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Archers" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70
    recruit_pool "Indochina Heavy Swordsmen" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { aztecs, } and region_religion buddism 70

}
    material wooden
    construction 6
    cost 16000
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

What am I doing wrong here? I read Monkwarriors' post in page 1 of the Crashes and How to Fix Them thread as to -why- they crashed but I'm afraid I didn't understand what he meant by 'close to levels' or 'in the building not being able to be built in short'...The heavy_armourer buildings require an event to happen and are not available from the start of the game, but there are several other buildings that don't cause a crash that also require it to be in place before construction. It doesn't seem to matter what I do-Whether I remove all units, or remove all construction requirements, or rename them-It just crashes whenever I look at the build tab. It also crashes when I end my turn.

I am dreadfully confused. Please help.
    Yes, I have checked the system.log with trace script on, and all it has is 'encountered unspecified error' at the bottom.

Blog Entries

1. your building name is the same as the first as the first level name - you need to have different names
    2. did you enter all necessary lines in the export_buildings file? (three lines for each level and culture, one line for the name)

that's a new building i made:
    Code:
    building ministries
    {
        levels ministry
        {
            ministry city requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter sekreta 1 ;and hidden_resource norditalia
            {
                capability
                {
                    happiness_bonus bonus 3
                    law_bonus bonus 3
                }
                construction  6
                cost  2200 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }
    but i have two problems:

1) if i have the hidden_resource "enabled", when the event counter turns 1 then nothing appears on my game screen....

2) if i haven't the hidden_resource "enabled", when the event counter turns 1 then the building appears on my tech tree but it says that it is already built, and thus it dosen't appear in my construction queue....

can anyone give me a hint why these two things are happing??? thanks!!

Show me the counter script that you have for this in the campaign_script.txt and hidden resources are settlement dependent, have you added this hidden resource in descr_regions.txt file in the base folder? If so then have you deleted the map.rwm file? It necessary to save the changes you made.