Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 selling PC games in US

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

http://www.actiontrip.com/#top-s

Pffff... The Sims 2 Expansion Pack? It wasnt even really all that good. I would of expected Half Life 2 to be number one.

(sigh).... HL2 didnt get enough advertising. Actually, I dont think it even got ANY advertising. Plus, probably only like 1/4 of American kids played Half Life or even know about Half Life 2.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

What I'm really surprised is Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon...
    Back to play MTW2...

Half-Life 2 has always struck me as a cult game instead of mainstream. Games like The Sims and that Brothers game are geared more towards mainstream.

The game I'm most surprised by is Zoo Tycoon 2.

That game wasnt exactly good.

dam rtw isnt even in there :crying
    Attila the Hun: It belongs to whoever is strong enough to take it. A.D 435

Yeah, I play a demo of Zoo Tycoon 2 from a PC Gamer disk. It sucked.

The monkeys in game can paint, but the zoo keepers cant even figure out how to get into the cage to replenish the monkey's water dish.
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

LLXerxes's Avatar Semisalis

I don't have any of those. But the sims games do sound a little fun.
    Music 1Music 2Pictures 1Pictures 2
    Now Reading: Wiliam Golding - Lord of the Flies

Originally posted by Attila The Hun@Apr 6 2005, 07:47 PM
    dam rtw isnt even in there :crying
    doesnt deserve to be in there.
    A wait and watch approach for MTW2
    Adopt I will

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

The sims games are fun. Be sure to check out modthesims2.com if you get into it. That's a fantastic modding community.

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

1) The Sims 2 University Expansion Pack= Kinda good but doesn't deserve that spot
    2) World Of Warcraft = Well that was expected.
    3) The Sims 2 = WTF !!
    4) Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30= Good game and I'm not surprised that it would sell well in the US.
    5) Half-Life 2= Alot better then the sims 2
    6) Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 = crap
    7) Matrix Online = Haven't played
    8) Act Of War: Direct Action = see above
    9) Zoo Tycoon 2= see above but have no wish in trying it either
    10) Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords= Over-hyped and short :wub: game, was so disappointed in this game.

Silent hunter III should have been on that list, it is far better then Zoo tycoon,RC tycoon and sims 2 put together.
    And it would have been nice to see RTW on the list but the target audience is way smaller then games like Sims 2.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Half-Life 2 didn't win because of a load of big girls blouses playing the sims, and halo fanboys.

and the thing is it owns all the other games.....

'nuff said.

(i better run off now)

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Yea, if HL2 was advertised more and more people had powerful enough PC's to run that game and had actually HEARD or played Half Life, then Half Life 2 would've had the most sales ever for a video game.

Cause honestly.. Half Life 2 is better than Halo 2.

Hmm...

I feel like I'm getting old already! I don't understand half the games on that list, the sims and world of warcraft?!?! I just can't play them... And grrr don't get me started on brothers in arms, BAD game!

Originally posted by slackker@Apr 8 2005, 05:22 AM
    doesnt deserve to be in there.
    Then why are you here?

Why did it get so many awards and why did it get so many 90% reviews?

Unless of course the entire industry is wrong and a couple dozen net whores are right.

Mordhak's Avatar Civitate

The Sims gets a high rating only because half of the USA's female population is addicted to it. Because it's the only modern game that appeals to women as well as to... well, uhm, weird men.

Civis

Gee, where's Playboy: The Mansion on that list? :shocked

Really dissapointing list indeed though. Games are being taken over by the mainstream.

solid's Avatar Civitate

How can an expansion from The Sims 2 sell better then The Sims 2 itself???

Originally posted by solid@Apr 9 2005, 09:30 PM
    How can an expansion from The Sims 2 sell better then The Sims 2 itself???
    Perhaps for the same reason the Nudity Patch for Tomb Raider II was more popular then Tomb Raider II.

Originally posted by Knight_Yellow@Apr 9 2005, 01:04 PM
    Then why are you here?

Why did it get so many awards and why did it get so many 90% reviews?

Unless of course the entire industry is wrong and a couple dozen net whores are right.

Why is it that you have to post in response and then flame a person who thinks RTW isn't that good? Its incredibly annoying... you dont even posts in topics like these UNLESS someone flames RTW.

You have to realize that these same sites gave Doom 3 a 90%+ score as well very close to what they gave Half-life 2......

Also the fact that these review companies dont play a game long term.... RTW isn't like the previous games. Most of the people quit playing it quickly due to its repetative gameplay (due to the AI) and lack of replability due to its poor AI and tantamounts of bugs. Just because somehow you enjoy repetadly comp stomping an easily overrun AI and think that is a great quality in games doesn't mean that it is good and gives you the right to flame people on sight simply because they think it blows. Dont say "then get RTR" because a game should not have to be modded to become good. TOEE, Master of Orion 3, and those kinds of games have THAT kind of mod made for them. Seriously, that behavior (flaming over the game) is a trait for a fanboy: Board Warrior - Fanboy: This is you

Anyways on the subject of these best sellers. These lists are kind of sad, its a guide for publishers to look at to see what game genre they should mass produce next.... the fact that usually only RTS and FPS and games for people who dont typically play games are solely on there (plus rarely an RPG with a namebrad like Star Wars) is why we get an insane amount of games these days. It used to be that the best titles of the year were on there but those days are definately gone....

These lists should be called Clonewhores Guide to the Game Industry.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Originally posted by Mordhak@Apr 9 2005, 01:35 PM
    The Sims gets a high rating only because half of the USA's female population is addicted to it. Because it's the only modern game that appeals to women as well as to... well, uhm, weird men.
    Hey i happen to like the Sims, and my girlfriend does it too :grin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast