Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First look at Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, by THQ

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Default First look at Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, by THQ

What do you guys think? Personally, I feel like the potential is there for this to be awesome, but a few things have to happen:

1. Wide open battles. Hallway crawling doesn't do a Space Marine justice.
    2. Bolter needs to be made stronger. It's supposed to absolutely rip up heretics.
    3. Better movement. He doesn't really seem like he's wearing any armor at all from the way he walks. Despite being trained and enhanced to wear Space Marine armor, there needs to be a more clunky feel to it IMO.
    4. Less ownage of Chaos Space Marines. He was absolutely ripping them apart in this video, even when outnumbered. That doesn't seem accurate to me.

The potential is definitely there, but this needs some working on.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Default Re: First look at Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, by THQ

Gears of War?

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Pretty old vid. As I've said before, looks like the Gears of War clone version of Firewarrior. So rubbish.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

give me something shootier, with a grain of meleeing

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Rubbish. Not only is it yet ANOTHER game about Space Marines, but why on earth would he be all alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    Pretty old vid. As I've said before, looks like the Gears of War clone version of Firewarrior. So rubbish.
    The only thing this game has in common with Gears of War is Unreal Engine 3 and the third person perspective. Ok, so there's a chainsaw weapon too. Big whoop. I think there's a lot of potential here to keep this different enough from Gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos
    Rubbish. Not only is it yet ANOTHER game about Space Marines, but why on earth would he be all alone?
    Yet another game? What Space Marine games exist so far? DoW isn't specifically about Space Marines, neither is Fire Warrior (it's about Tau), so... what's left?

As for why he's all alone, that's one of my points of critique too. The final product had better have larger scale battles with more Space Marines and teammates. This video was only an alpha version though and it seemed to exist mainly to show you the same finishing move over and over again. xD
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.

I'm just sick of the focus on Space Marines in all the 40k games. It's always from their viewpoint, of from that of the Imperium as a whole. DC has the SM win. I mean, c'mon, enough is enough. Let's get another race's viewpoint, huh? Firewarrior doesn't count, it was made too crappily.

The fatality cinematic and meat sheild aspects are blatantly copied from Gears of War 1 and 2. The focus on melee with a handgun seems a bit more Devil May Cryish though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    I'm just sick of the focus on Space Marines in all the 40k games. It's always from their viewpoint, of from that of the Imperium as a whole. DC has the SM win. I mean, c'mon, enough is enough. Let's get another race's viewpoint, huh? Firewarrior doesn't count, it was made too crappily.
    To be honest... I agree. But there are some problems:

1. Ork perspective would probably be rather one-dimensional.
    2. Chaos perspective would probably boost the game's rating up to adult.
    3. Tau perspective could work. Fire Warrior sucked so, let's see something better here, agreed.
    4. Eldar perspective could work aswell. People love elves, so space elves are fine too.
    5. Necron perspective... well, no. Just no. I'll fall asleep before the first level is over.
    6. Tyranid perspective? XD Rofl.

To be honest, the Imperium is quite simply the most accessible for any audience.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

That vid is down, here's another.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54596

Looks alright, still early in development, but enemy AI seemed terrible.

They should make you a Grey Knight or Librarian, to give you some taste of Psycher powers.
    Last edited by the_mango55; January 26, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Why not a Star Wars Battlefront style game where you can play from the perspective of all the factions? I would actually quite like the idea of running around as a Genestealer ripping everyone to shreads and/or impregnating them.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

How about an Imperial Guardsman?
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

I could play something similar to star wars republic commando

more polished of course

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    How about an Imperial Guardsman?
    Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn.

Not my idea of fun.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn.

Not my idea of fun.
    Not necessarily. You start of as a new Guardsman part of a Crusade against the Orkz as part of a large company. As time goes by attrition lowers your numbers and you start gaining experience and can pick up equipment of fallen Imperials. Eventually you have the equipment of your choice and are nearly as strong as a Space Marine.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

You'd end up being a Kasrkin pretty much, and they don't just die, they kill a lot as well.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

A guardsmen's life would be hell. And not video game fun.

"Golly, I hope this copious amount of enemy fire doesn't kill me."
    "Golly, I hope this swarm of untouchable combatants doesn't reach my line"
    "Golly, I hope this commissar doesn't kill me"

*comissar kills him*

fun.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

OP: That game looks fine (well, eyes candy), but I notice that those Chaos Space Marines have no melee weapon (very strange as most Chaos prefer melee), not to mention the Chaos force looks like Khorne worshipers (WTH when a Khorne Berserker run wild without a chain axe??).

Thanny: All right, we all know you are an Eldar believers...

Farnan: No, Guardman would never become same as Space Marine; about pick out other Guardman's equipement, I don't find pick up another lasgun would improve your condition any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Eventually you have the equipment of your choice and are nearly as strong as a Space Marine.
    Human physiognomy does not work that way. Better equipment a Space Marine equivalent does not make.

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

Human physiognomy does not work that way. Better equipment a Space Marine equivalent does not make.
    What if you have carapace armour and WARRIOR WEAPSON!?!?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast