Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CHALLENGE THREAD -- Issue a challenge here

Default Re: CHALLENGE THREAD -- Issue a challenge here

Topic title: Marxism; Is it still relevant?

Details; Marxism and Marxist thought has undeniably played a large role in the creation of the world as we know it, and especially its critical role during the 20th century. But with the failure of the USSR and abandoning of Communism by China, does it still have relevancy?

Position; I am of the opinion that it remains relevant.

I'll debate anyone on this.
    "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -William Lloyd Garrison

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end." -Leon Trotsky

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Topic title: Should government's own and operate the means of production. If so, to what extent?
    Details: I had posted a thread that seems to meet with some resistance regarding government ownership and operation of schools. Thread link: Orwell's thought police in action within Georgia, USA There are potential conflicts of interest when ever a single entity is both vertically and horizontally intergrated. In this case, the standard government powers combined with all of the authority of a business owner.

Position: There may indeed be some limited examples, but the general rule should be a seperation of business from government along the lines of the seperation of church and state.

PM me if you want to debate this with me please.

Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Topic title; Challenge to the theory of Evolution

Details; Apparently evolution can be disproved by a Jar of peanut-butter (video will be included), not a joke although wish it were.

Position; Pro-evolutionary theory

Spartan90's Avatar Campidoctor

Topic title: Who is faster - Speedy Gonzales, or the Roadrunner?

Details: A trivial dispute regarding the speeds of these two famous cartoon characters.

Position: I'm easy.

TOPIC title creation vs evolution

POSITION-I would take the position of biblical creationist thousands of years old universe

I would prefer to debate someone who is atheist evolutionist. and legofingers two post up is not responding i think hes gone.

those who have accepted
    On Evolution (Tankbuster vs. total relism)

origin of life creation vs evolution [total relism] vs [J.Philp]

Creation vs evolution total [relism] vs [Ferrets54] http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=457432

creation vs evolution [total relism] vs [the rifelman]

age of the earth thousands or billions? [Ancient Aliens vs total relism] http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=483241

those who have declined and whos offer for still stands- yet many will post when i create in science or religion section but not willing in 1v1 when i have time to focus 100% on them
    MathiasOfAthens
    The Dude
    War lord
    elfdude first time,for second time[read post 100] third time here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ism-vs-elfdude fourth time here [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ism-vs-elfdude]
    Pontifex Maximus
    Theseus1234
    Leeham991
    Tuor
    cpdwane
    Nyxos
    Lord Rahl
    Junius
    Holger Danske
    Phier
    TransFax
    Legofingers2
    ROFL Copter
    chamaeleo
    Himster
    Minigrinch
    Col. Tartleton
    Don Of Atheos
    SlartyBartfast
    Sphere
    Nimthill
    Ying, Duke of Qin
    Darkside
    Portuguese Rebel
    generalveers
    Manco
    Inconsistent
    Toho
    Gaiden
    legofingers
    Veliky Kaiser Theos
    Helel

He who answers a matter before he hears it,
    It is folly and shame to him.
    proverbs 18.13
    Last edited by total relism; August 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Topic title: Battle of the century! Vikings vs Samurai!
    Details: A ferocious battle of vikings against samurai. Anyone that quotes "the Deadliest Warrior" gets buswhacked!
    Position: Vikings will win. After all, they are Norse and they are Pirates.

Irish Warrior's Avatar Tiro

Topic title: Should Islam' influence be challenged in the middle-east, and abroad.
    Details: A debate on whether or not measures should be put in place to stop muslim influence, I.E. France's banning of the Burka.
    Position: I believe measures should be put in place.
    R.I.P. Eoin B. I'll miss you Grandad :'(

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Topic title: The greatest Scandinavian Project thread... ever!

Details: A debate on Scandinavian history in regards to society in general but also to Total War modders perspective. Basically, creating and accumulating the greatest encyclopedia knowledge of this region in everything between the iron age to the modern age (or even further, if Swedes intend to participate)

I'm aware that this is out of the ordinary Ninja vs. Viking debate, but I can't say those are normal in the sane world too so this will definitely work.

I've also come to understand that this work will never be finished, which means there is no deadline and stress. It's just a matter of focusing on what you are good at. (I don't have that much time as I used to, so I don't expect more of you).

This will either end up being stored in VV someplace or be the "Wikipedia" thread modders come to look when creating a mod including this area and era in their mod.

Position: History of Denmark and Norway is my greatest strength. Alot, and I mean alot is already accumulated over the various of mods I've researched for sometime. We are talking local history from books, and all the way to university thesis'. The only serious need is for it all to be organised and proof read, polished, etc.. you get the deal.

You are either a closet history geek like me, which will add more balance and volume to the text, or or perhaps average gifted with English language (as I'm not) to proof read and add what seems natural. Some graphic designers are also much welcomed to this project, as good pictures of war and life in Scandinavia are few and far between and thus vastly attracted.

The question is, do you got the geek-genes to do what it takes and earn the esteemed TWC credits? Be the name everyone (in the TWC chess club) speaks about?

Well, I hope you will take up the axe and keyboard and send me a PM if you think it holds intrest.

Regards,

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; February 04, 2011 at 03:55 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Topic title: Assuming there is a God, is God a perfect being?
    Details: Not about the existence of God (although I would be perfectly willing to debate that, since I'm atheist). This is about whether or not God is perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. One rule: holy text, by itself, is not proof.
    Position: No, God isn't perfect or omnipotent.

[ACCEPTED]
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=427048
    [FINISHED]
    Last edited by Okmin; February 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Topic title: Does the left promote laziness and expectations of handouts?
    Details My views as a rightist versus the overall left; especially relating to the issue of work and the quality of work which is to be done.
    Position: I stand on the right as a protector of the right and against the left which degrades the quality of people.

[ACCEPTED]
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=426742
    Last edited by CK23; February 17, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Topic Title: Was colonialism a positive or negative effect on the world in general?

Details: A discussion on the aspects of colonialism, it's long and short-term effects on both the colonising and the colonised societies from the beginning of European interaction to eventual decolonisation and beyond.

Position: I would argue that, while carried out for amoral reasons and with violent measure, the overall effect of colonialism was positive upon the world in general, though acknowledging that it has had various negative effects on certain nations and societies in both the short and long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Topic: How to improve Garb's Fight Club

Details:

I want to find out what you think - A debate on how to improve or dismantle the GFC as a forum medium - apathy has no meaning.

1. Do you think the GFC is using it's fullest potential? Why is the GFC the dust-magnet when it comes to debating, as compared to the other more populare debating forums? What is the real crux of the problem?

2 a). If there is a problem, then what should be changed? Is there an idea which will turn the GFC into a more populare choice for the avrage debater that the "omnipotent" Curia has overlooked?

2 b). If there is no solution, then is there a need for this forum to excist at all? I think not. It will certinly help out the Tech folks over at the Bazaar to free up some meg.bits, which will result in a smoother speed for us all.

3. Propose a new method and sollution into how to revive or dismantle the GFC.

Position: There is only one position, and that is coorporate towards finding an answer. I have some ideas up in my sleves, but I want to hear what you think. There is by my standards no rule as to how many people can partake in this debate, so drop me a PM and your welcome to join in on the whole debate or just parts of it.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Topic Title: Was Hitler an incompetent leader?
    Details: Debating Adolf Hitler's overall competence as Germany's leader by analyzing his military prowess, charisma, and ability to manage a country in a state of total war.
    Position: I believe Hitler was incompetent.

Responses on my part may take a while, so a long debate should be expected if anybody's up for it.
    Last edited by DaLeGiOnArY; April 09, 2011 at 07:25 AM.

Proud creator of the original describe the person above you thread in '09.
    Also proud ragequitter.

XIII's Avatar Centenarius

Topic:
    1. Does God exist?
    2. Does God matter?
    3. Is belief in God rational?
    4. Resurrection of Jesus: Historical Fact or Fiction?

Details: A classic debate about whether or not God exists or a more focused one on specific (but related) topics.

Position: Affirmative.
    “We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned, T’lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.
    ― Steven Erikson, Memories of Ice

“The heart of wisdom is tolerance.”
    ― Steven Erikson, Memories of Ice

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Icon6 Re: CHALLENGE THREAD -- Issue a challenge here

Topic title; Do we need the TWC Philosophy -forum?

Details; The basis for the Philosophy forum at it's current place under religion is deranged and should suffer little else then a quick death. The forum makes as much sense to the Aristotelian way of thinking (the origin of the scientific approach), as racism does to tolerance.

Position; I know the Philosophy -forum doesn't belong under the tyranny of religion (Monastica) and it's platonic thinking. Away from science and the earthly truth. Hitherto, (the brave) TWC Staff haven't dared to challenge this notion in public, so I'm prepared to stick to abstracts.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; June 13, 2011 at 05:12 AM.

Phoenix Rising's Avatar Tiro

Topic Title: Would the world be a better place without Religion?

Details; Over the last decade of human history, the number of Atheists in the world has doubled. There are now over a billion non-religious people in the world, including atheists, agnostics, skeptics, free-thinkers and so on. The congregations of the old orders fall by hundreds of thousands every single year, with the Catholic Church now in steep decline. If, hypothetically, this trend would continue so that religion would have been totally, and peacefully, eradicated by 2100 - would the world be a better place?

Position;
    I am for the motion that yes, it would. I personally describe myself as an anti-clericalist Freethinker rather than an Atheist, and would like the oppertunity to have a pitched intellectual debate on the subject.
    Libertarian Conservative & Austrian School Economics Student

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
    ~ Marcus Aurelius

"Virtually every atrocity in the history of humankind was enabled by a populace that turned away from a reality that seemed too painful to face. While virtually every revolution for peace and justice has been made possible by a group of people who chose to bear witness and demanded that others bear witness as well." ~ Melanie Joy

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Topic Title: Was the use of atomic bombs on Japan by the US a war crime?

Details: Did the US commit a war crime by using atomic bombs on Japan during WWII?

Position: No, i consider the use of the atomic bombs to be legal.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Topic Title: Partisanship in America -- the parties, their purpose, and are they ultimately good or bad for government?

Details: Partially inspired by recent events (or lack thereof) in the US Congress. Warning, potentially very long debate. More important warning, Amero-centric (because 1. European governments seem to be much better at getting things done, and 2. because pretty much all other countries have more than two big political parties). To start, background discussion (may be completely or partially skipped): Why do we have two major parties? What are they supposed to do? How deeply is the two-party system entrenched in America? And then the actual debating part: Is having two big, opposing parties good for the country? Would we be better off with more than two? Or even none?

Position: The two party system has served America well in the past, but we've come to the point where (for many reasons) they simply polarize politics too much -- it's all or nothing for both sides' leadership, even the voters. We'd be better off with no parties, leaving representatives to vote on their individual views.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Anyone on nearly anything, I'll do devils advocacy if need be

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Who wants to challenge me to a debate of their choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash