Thread: Modify weather in MTW?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Icon5 Modify weather in MTW?

Hi all,

I am just wondering here. Is it at all possible to modify the weather in MTW? If so, how? I downloaded an old weather editor from 2004-ish over at the Org-tool area but it does not seem to work at all. Or am I doing something horridly wrong here or is this just hardcoded? Is it only possible to alter the weather in VI (if possible at all)? So far, no matter what changes I made in the weather-file (it is located in the battle folder), regardless how extreme my values were it was not detected in the game. I even went so far to write-protect the file just to make sure that my values would stay put in there but nothing happened. And if I did not write-protect the file the values would just go back to default values again. Oh and for the record I have only tried this on MTW V.1.1.

Anybody out there that knows these things better than I do in this little issue?

- Cheers

Default Re: Modify weather in MTW?

I only know that when DragonCrusader and I were making historical battles for MTW, he tried in vain for weeks to make a sandstorm. I do not believe it is possible to modify MTW's weather.

Hi there,

You are the second person on the planet who have produced any kind of answer on my little inquiry here (the other one was on TotalWar.com). So a while back I came to the conclusion that all this is hard-coded since there is nothing that suggests otherwise. Thus weather in MTW is hard-coded. Sad but true. :hmmm:

- Cheers
    -----------
    I did appreciate your reply just the same...

You're welcome, Axalon! Incidentally, you do know that weather can be changed in historical battles don't you? Dragoncrusader and I wrote a guide at the org. (I'm the same AmbrosiusAurelianus who posts there.)

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=49980

The weather is changed in the bdf file at the WeatherSequenceId line. The number sets the weather for the battle: 0 clear 1 clear 2 rain 3 Heavy Snow 4 light snow and fog 5 light snow 6 light snow 7 light snow 8 light snow 9 mist. Adding any number above 9 simply results in snow.

I tried to look at the weather file in the battle folder, when attempting to make a sandstorm, but cannot make head nor tail of it - although there appear to be both sand and wind parameters. Altering the numbers seems to make no difference, and weather appears independent of terrain.

I only just visited this forum again today and saw your response, as I can finally play MTW again! Against all the odds it runs on my new laptop, along with Thief: The Dark Project, which I had also given up on ever playing again.
    Last edited by AmbrosiusAurelianus; April 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Hello Ambrosius,

I did not know that actually. Thanks for the link to the guide! Even if this is great news, I have never bothered much with the “historical” battles section in the game because it never interested me that much – this of course is probably the big reason why I have missed out on this before. My “weather-quest” was mainly directed towards campaigns as you probably have gathered by now….

Anyway, useful and interesting info man. Have this golden rep-ring on me…

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Anyway, useful and interesting info man. Have this golden rep-ring on me…

- Cheers
    Thanks for that! I was browing past threads on the weather after I posted, and it seems that the weather.txt is simply a debug file, perhaps even one left over from Shogun. That would explain why altering it doesn't seem to do very much.

The weather in the loc folder is just a set of descriptions for weather in game too. It looks like it's unlikely that weather can be changed in campaigns. Never mind!