Thread: Just some quick Q about battles

Indefinitely Banned
    Sundaleiði in Risør kommune, NORWAY (Home of giants)

Default Just some quick Q about battles

I have some questions about the battles on this mod.

Will there be some ancient viking tactics like fylking and Svinfylking?
    Like you can select say 5 unitcards of your army and form a perfect copy of a old svinfylking? Like two say huscarls, two javelins and one archer and pack the together and make a fylking. I kind of doubt they fought with the "nazi" excact-150-warriors-make-a-squareform-and-march tactic that dominates the Medieval gameplay (although a square form of the fylking also occured). The fylking was split up in smaller troops with around 30 men fighting around a banner.

2. Will javelins play a big role? It certianly did back then. They were almost as important as the people holding an axe in the front. Javelins and archers played the biggest role in the known shield wall. Bigger than the people holding up the shields. It was a defensive formation Will you please make them stronger? In Mediaval they are so underpowered

3. Will units have different weapons? I am tired of a man having the EXACT same weapon, shield and armour as the other 149 people in the unit. It would not piss me off seeing a sword in the middle of those axemenn or a onehanded axe in the ranks of huscarls....

Thank you for your time reading it

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Just some quick Q about battles

1. No, sorry. That's impossible with the M2TW engine, though we discussed it a while before discarding the idea. However. we're trying to implement a proper shieldwall!

2. Yes, several Norse units are equipped with throwing-spears, including shieldwallmen. We can't have some soldiers in a unit throwing spears while the front line is engaged in melee, but having one unit engaged in melee while the one behind is throwing is a viable tactic. Throwing spears before charging is also possible.

3. Some might, others won't. There are several reasons for this, and most are not open for public discussion. You will have to wait and see.

I hope that answers your questions.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Just some quick Q about battles

thats about it.