Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Post your empires here!

Default Re: Post your empires here!

Egypt was quite an interesting campaign. VH/VH, I crushed Kyrene in less than 8 turns. Kush was a similar matter, and then I thought of dealing with Babylon, but I focused more on Greece and Italy instead. Took quite a while to absorb oligarchy, and the enemies I faced were numerous and wealthy.

Egypt's army is fairly diverse, and quite handy. The mercenaries helped a lot, of course, as I recruited nearly everything I could. But the chariots and hoplites, they were on par with spartan hoplites with the proper upgrades and experience. Also, it was damned hard to maintain order in all of my various domains, because buildings to maintain order for Egypt are few indeed. Even changing my capital didn't really help, so I just kept Sais as the capital the whole time.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by YuilenZ01; August 22, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great!!!

Didn't you have a problem with the Babylonians or with the hoplites in battles in VH?

Well I had hoplites of my own, you see. And they were the equals of the Ionians, because I trained many of them in Greece where they could gain the oligarchy experience bonuses. Most of my armies consisted of archers and infantry, and mercenary cavalry. I had some chariots, but not much besides the generals. As for the Babylonians, they were quite annoying, but eventually I decided to go up Babylon and the upper half of the Levant, which was somewhat risky since the majority of my forces and capital were busy in Europe. Also, my archers and slingers were of high quality, I made sure of that.

EDIT: I just remembered, while playing that game, in order to counter the ridiculously imbalanced ionians and indians, I simply made them both in debt by about 1 million gold pieces. But by that time ionia took all of anatolia and invaded part of Mada, and the indians took all of india. Aside from rigged ionians and rigged elephant spam, everything else was a pretty good challenge and went ok.
    Last edited by YuilenZ01; August 22, 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by YuilenZ01 View Post
    The silk road has existed since the time of the Sumerians over 4,500 years ago. There was evidence of a trade network from Mesopotamia to Afghanistan along the trade route for the precious lapis lazuli stones which are only found in Afghanistan. Other products were also traded from India along that route and likely entered into the Middle East.
    Not really. The silk road only became an important trade route after the Han dynasty of China expanded a long way to the west, and started trading with the Hellenic successor states. Neither Cyrus, nor the Sumerians have anything to do with the silk road.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Not really. The silk road only became an important trade route after the Han dynasty of China expanded a long way to the west, and started trading with the Hellenic successor states. Neither Cyrus, nor the Sumerians have anything to do with the silk road.
    I would recommend you major in History and Ancient Cultures before blowing me off, Cockroach. It has had importance for a very long time, in fact 4,500 years WAS inaccurate, it's actually longer. The silk road had been exporting goods to Mesopotamia, then to the Levant/Anatolia/Egypt at around 4,500 years ago, but the first connection from India to Afghanistan to Mesopotamia originated about 5000 years or so. The Sumerians' trade networks existed even before 4000 BC.

And since you've proven to be an oh-so-unreliable source in the past many times, mainly due to that you only copy-pasta and know little of your own, I will trust my scholar education and books. Or better yet, what university do you teach at? None? What historian organization are you a part of? None? Education? Not History? Yeah.....Having a high post count doesn't equate to being knowledgeable, bro.

Actually, trade routes connecting Mesopotamia with Indus civilisations existed at least from the times of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa, if not longer. But I really doubt if it was used or named for trading silk, though probably it was precedence and prototype for later connections of the more western part of the Silk Road.
    But certainly civilisations of Mesopotamia, including later Persian overlords, traded with their eastern neighbours.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; September 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Actually, trade routes connecting Mesopotamia with Indus civilisations existed at least from the times of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa, if not longer. But I really doubt if it was used or named for trading silk, though probably it was precedence and prototype for later connections of the more western part of the Silk Road.
    But certainly civilisations of Mesopotamia, including later Persian overlords, traded with their eastern neighbours.

I think everyone is alittle right in this argument of the silk road... There was a large trading network through the fertile creascent... however, the coined "silk road" came from the Han who established a trade network from China to Rome essentially and the main product.. SILK

After trying out numerous factions I finally found someone with a strong unit selection I enjoy as well as a good location and culture : Lydia... My current position to the east has not changed, I took Koisos' army from Ankya and decided to leave Ptria rebels.... I moved everyone west, attacking the Ionians and hitting them hard. They put up a good fight, their hoplites being superior to mine but the legendenary Lydian cavalry pulled through and in the end their three starting settlments were mine. Babylon has launched a two pronged attack on Ankyra and Side... I have a half stack or so in the east to defend so holding will be tricky but luckily I just finished off Abydos and Halikarnassos, made an alliance with Athens who is at war with the Spartans. (whats new) My forces in Ionia are freed up and I can support the war agaisnt Babylon.... Ive been trying to get into this Mod for awhile now and Lydia seemed to be my key. I do want to try Babylon as their recruiting options seem interesting getting the choice to colonize or annex. But back to my Lydian campaign... My veteren army in Ionia is now moving agaisnt the forces Babylon is sending at me. I hope Mada gives me some time to develop before invading, ive spent most of my money on military and now that I secured a border with the Aegean i hope to develop Ionia. I made the mistake of exterminating two of the three Ionian settlements so i will have to reguild population (needed the quick cash) which might bite me in the ass later in the game as Ionian hoplites are powerful. My plan only went so far as secure Ionia conquest wise so after I build up some roads, farms, trade and such ill decide where I want to go next.. do I get revenge

I had high hopes for Lydia as well, but it's really a depressing disappointment. Lydia has an excellent position and the potential to be quite wealthy, but their hoplites are utter garbage, and despite having 3-4 different kinds of hoplites, they all have the same attack, armor, and bonuses, thus Lydia might as well have only 1 type of hoplite. Their chariots are a joke, not even worth the high upkeep or to bother using them in battle. Their cavalry is so-so, and the fact that the monarchy bonuses don't give exp chevrons, whereas Ionia gets them, it's easy to see why Lydia gets crushed every time. Horrible military roster, right next to an enemy faction with an excellent military roster. I took a real good look at Ionia when fighting them as Egypt. They're exactly the same as the Spartan models, with the same attack/defense. I wasn't fighting Ionians in Asia Minor, I was fighting Spartans. Spartans that start out with more cities and wealth than the actual Sparta. Hope they fix that in RoP 3.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

change the Lydia's hoplites stats and increase their cost.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456