Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...militia in cities...??

Default ...militia in cities...??

Hi, could you check if this is possible?
    Any chance to make some kind of militia that would appear when city is attacked? Something like home guard (retired veterans or just inhabitants that defend the homeland,..) that help fight garrison against invaders. After the siege is gone, so would be militia. Better for them than to be slaughtered or enslaved, don't you think?
    I'd like to prevent huge cities being besieged and conquerd by 1 or 2 units. Just because there is only 1 general for example, although population in thousands!?! At least it could be applicable on capitals and cities of bigger importance.

In my Roman campaign VH/VH I've been waiting for decades for Carthage to bring it's armies from west Africa where it has 4-5 full stacks doing nothing!!! and I represent obvious threat to them. I don't really want to gain control over 5 north African cities that are protected by 1 unit per city.

Another issue. Is it possible to make AI overseas attaks with full stacks?
    Since I pushed Greeks off my Italian homeland they've been sending ship after ship but with half or quarter of stacks. They can apparently afford to send one or more full stacks once in few turns instead of sending few units every turn.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: ...militia in cities...??

Quote Originally Posted by Traianus IX View Post
    Hi, could you check if this is possible?
    Any chance to make some kind of militia that would appear when city is attacked? Something like home guard (retired veterans or just inhabitants that defend the homeland,..) that help fight garrison against invaders. After the siege is gone, so would be militia. Better for them than to be slaughtered or enslaved, don't you think?
    I'd like to prevent huge cities being besieged and conquerd by 1 or 2 units. Just because there is only 1 general for example, although population in thousands!?! At least it could be applicable on capitals and cities of bigger importance.

In my Roman campaign VH/VH I've been waiting for decades for Carthage to bring it's armies from west Africa where it has 4-5 full stacks doing nothing!!! and I represent obvious threat to them. I don't really want to gain control over 5 north African cities that are protected by 1 unit per city.
    one obvious problem i see with this is that the AI will use a three unit stack to siege a one unit city, only for it then to find itself at overwhelming odds when the militia get spawned. I'm not sure if the AI will be able to handle militia spawning ....

Another issue. Is it possible to make AI overseas attaks with full stacks?
    Since I pushed Greeks off my Italian homeland they've been sending ship after ship but with half or quarter of stacks. They can apparently afford to send one or more full stacks once in few turns instead of sending few units every turn.
    as you may have noticed, the AI is not the brightest strategist around the block. In my campaigns though (only M/M, don't know if that makes a difference), Carthage often sends full stacks to Sicily/Sardinia.
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

FYI, I responded to this post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...65#post4297565

Please keep the discussion in this thread, though. This topic deserves its own thread.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    FYI, I responded to this post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...65#post4297565

Please keep the discussion in this thread, though. This topic deserves its own thread.
    Thanks, I found your respond.
    Well, looks more like a technical problem, doesn't it? Unfortunately I can't suggest anything in this matter as I'm not really into this "programming" stuff. I'm just user and huge fan of RT.. series. Great job by the way with RTR+ExR. Awesome mods.

This is how I imagine it might work:
    Militia would appear for examle only if Family memberor General is present. Number and quality of militia would depend on city population and the character's traits, his influence, command stars,...
    To prevent AI attacking a city with only few unit because there is only 1 unit of general defending the city, those militia might be somehow visible for oponents. At least roughly after it's been checked by spy, hmm?:hmmm:

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think this is just too complicated to make work without absolutely enormous scripting. It can be done, but it's very difficult and would increase the script load for the game enormously. I'd like to avoid that if possible.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

OK, understood!

I'll keep posted, in case some other ideas occure.

One time in my Mac campaign I laid siege to Athens with maybe 7 units, and the Greeks had like 2 inside. Then, next turn (or maybe two later), the Greeks suddenly had a huge, experienced army inside the city, like a militia. I had no idea where it came from, and decided to retreat since I was way outnumbered. The enemy army then exited the city and attacked my army, where I barely came out on top after being outnumbered 2 to 1. I thought that was pretty strange, and then brought reinforcements down from the capital in Pella and laid siege to Athens again, which only had 1 or 2 units inside. I don't usually like to assault (it seems like I lose too many men to towers and such) so I figured I would wait until the enemy sallied forth. Then suddenly again a huge army spawned inside Athens, and I retreated, beating it in a field battle just like the time before. At this I was pretty annoyed and laid siege one more time, assaulting on the second turn when I had towers and ladders built.

So, I don't know how the sudden armies were spawned, but I figured there must be some kind of militia script for the city of Athens. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that those who have more of them live longer.

The only thing I could think of is that perhaps the settlement went rebel and you did not notice? When cities go rebel they many times spawn full stacks, and many times they have gold experience for some odd reason
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    The only thing I could think of is that perhaps the settlement went rebel and you did not notice? When cities go rebel they many times spawn full stacks, and many times they have gold experience for some odd reason
    That's what I thought, but that wouldn't explain the second army.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by horatius View Post
    One time in my Mac campaign I laid siege to Athens with maybe 7 units, and the Greeks had like 2 inside. Then, next turn (or maybe two later), the Greeks suddenly had a huge, experienced army inside the city, like a militia. I had no idea where it came from, and decided to retreat since I was way outnumbered. The enemy army then exited the city and attacked my army, where I barely came out on top after being outnumbered 2 to 1. I thought that was pretty strange, and then brought reinforcements down from the capital in Pella and laid siege to Athens again, which only had 1 or 2 units inside. I don't usually like to assault (it seems like I lose too many men to towers and such) so I figured I would wait until the enemy sallied forth. Then suddenly again a huge army spawned inside Athens, and I retreated, beating it in a field battle just like the time before. At this I was pretty annoyed and laid siege one more time, assaulting on the second turn when I had towers and ladders built.

So, I don't know how the sudden armies were spawned, but I figured there must be some kind of militia script for the city of Athens. Does anyone know anything about this?
    in one of the older versions of ExRM there was, i believe, a script to spawn Greeks in Athens, because they got constantly overrun by the black death. I think also this script was abandoned in later versions. I think i saw it as well pre-3.3.3?
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

It was a while ago when I was playing, so I've probably updated the game since then. I'm not sure what version it was though.
    Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that those who have more of them live longer.

Good question. I'll check right now.
    Nope, that one is apparently still in there. It's in there to give the Greeks a fighting chance early on against the Macs, since they tend to send all of their units away by sea pretty quickly. I think I'll take it out in the next version because of some map changes.

Primicerius

Hey guys,

XGM has a garrison script like the one the OP proposed... But only for the player, so it won't affect AI development. Unfortunately, you can't make the stack it spawns go away, but for the player, this usually isn't a problem (ie: player will win. But it does still serve its purpose, meaning that a player can't overrun a weak capital/city with a couple of units). It uses an advisor script, you could contact DimeBagHo if you'd like for more info. I myself like the idea, the AI Carthage is terrible at coordinating its forces in a spread out empire.

Dime uses it to protect AI capitals so the player can't rush them.

Great mod btw, I used to play RTRPE, but got fed up with the Black Death, and fairly recently started playing this, and I think the balance is way better. Loving my Roman campaign right now.

I'm glad you're enjoying this!

Question: how well does it work? As you can see, I've tried a proximity script, and it doesn't seem to fire in some cases.

Primicerius

It requires the player to activate it (which works out, because if some players find it too difficult/don't like it, they can play without it) by pressing the show me how button after the advisor pops up to tell you whats going on (which automatically comes up after the player sieges the city with the garrison script). After activation it just spawns units in the city that you've set. You can set the units too, its spawns the same ones every time.

I think a good idea is too spawn a decent, but not awesome full or 3/4 stack, and only in important cities (some capitals, or cities famous for siege defense, like Rhodes or the CeltIberi). I think XGM uses it in Antioch, Seleucia, Alexandria, Rhodes, Roma, Carthago, and maybe a couple of others (Pella, Sparta). It works well too prevent the player from blitzing.

I don't know if you can rework it to spawn troops if the AI attacks a city too, but if you can, its a good anti-blobbing tool.
    Last edited by Scutarii; January 20, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of making it optional for the player _in game_. That's far beyond my meager scripting abilities. I'll check this out.

I wonder if maybe militia scripts, like the one at Athens, may perhaps be added for each faction's capital. That way taking a factions capital, like Rome for example, would be much more difficult. But since the script would only be for the capital, there wouldn't be a number of random army's popping up every time a settlement comes under siege. Just an idea.

Primicerius

Thats exactly how the garrison script in XGM works. Its a great idea, definitely doable..

The spawned Garrisons should be made immovable. I know there's a Trait to cover that, but I don't know if it possible for spawned armies...
    ah, and do spawned armies also reduce population?
    ~Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
    No spamming since 63 BC

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by marcvs agrippa View Post
    The spawned Garrisons should be made immovable. I know there's a Trait to cover that, but I don't know if it possible for spawned armies...
    ah, and do spawned armies also reduce population?
    Scripted armies are not recruited from populations, but appear from nowhere. In TIC, the sequence is to script the appearance of a character at x,y, with a list of traits, with a list of the units that are under his command. The character is then moved to x,y (don't know why the necessity for this, but the additional move is mentioned in the scripting threads I've looked at).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast