Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: the Seven Years War mod (originally: asking for permission.)

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: the Seven Years War mod (originally: asking for permission.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    very nice indeed!

Just a little correction: Grenadiers du France doesn't mean anything in french, use Grenadiers DE France instead!
    done!

EDIT: thankfully, it's already spelled correctly in the mod XD
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; February 06, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

so, a thought has just occured to me:

is there a way of importing N2TW buildings into another mod folder?
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

a sneak peek, just for you guys, of the Artillery:

a french 4-pdr:

and some Austrians:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wuerzburgers:
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; March 14, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

quick early morning update:

just finished the very first cavalry unit. I'll keep it a secret though

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

secrets could be sweet...

this is .. AMAZING! outstanding! the way the infantry marches! speechless when will be ready roughly??

how is work going on???

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    a sneak peek, just for you guys, of the Artillery:

a french 4-pdr:

and some Austrians:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wuerzburgers:
    nice , like the cannon

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    nice , like the cannon
    thanks!

sadly, It's not yet going to be implemented. for some reason, the wheels keep being invisible. I have no idea why. tried everything I know. once it is fixed though, it will be officially included, and you'll get to enjoy it once all is released.

however, I am at least happy to tell everyone that the cavalry are going very well. some beautiful models are already done for 6 or 7 of the factions-largely made over this weekend. skins as usual are basic, but whatever. The British roster is completely done, with the heavy cavalry of Prussia, Russia, Austria, Sweden, and Hanover (same faction as Britain's) being complete, with the French having one medium, and one heavy, cavalry unit complete (though one still has a question for you guys-see below). soon, I'll be moving on to the rest of the French cavalry, the Spanish cavalry, then the Ottomans, Moguls, Saxony, Bavaria, Hesse-Kassel, Wuerttemberg, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Denmark-Norway. Poland awaits some sources, with the rest simply being unknown in nature at this point. I will also do the savoyards and Slaves (same faction--I'll explain that later), but leaving them for last.

animations are ridiculously easy compared to the infantry's: I will have one sword based animation, one lance based, one horse archer based, and maybe one musket based (will not be used by Europeans. sorry).

at the rate I'm going, the cavalry will soon be done for most factions.

now to your question: do you guys want the French dragoons to have a tricorne, or their fatigue hat, to be worn? both were worn on campaign (though officially, the fatigue cap was only for parade or review). I will change it as you guys please. and yes, this is the regiment I will be using. got to have a feminine touche to the mod (I think the French speakers here will get it).

...sounds great brother...if i could help..just let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by leoni View Post
    ...sounds great brother...if i could help..just let me know...
    thanks!

for now though, I must finish the units. once that is done, I plan on getting them into a campaign.

Sir Mano's Avatar Civis

thanks!

for now though, I must finish the units. once that is done, I plan on getting them into a campaign.
    so, there wil be a campaign ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Mano View Post
    so, there wil be a campaign ?
    if nothing untoward happens, yes.

I've already made the blank version of the campaign map, which is c. 860x995 pixels (yes, it will work: the max in RTW is 1001X1001). the key will be to get the details in.

but much of that work is in the future: I'm curerntly focusing on the custom battles and units, if I'm even focusing on my mod (or any other). schoolwork and finding a job are a bit higher up the priority list.

EDIT: no, this doesn't mean progress is slow: it is not. but it's certainly slower than normal. haven't added a new unit in over 2 weeks. my current taks is to retexture everything: I found this awesom new way of getting higher quality textures, and compressing them without compramising quality.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; April 10, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

....take your time...remember it is a hobby...you found a better way for retexturing...sounds interesting to me...

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

if nothing untoward happens, yes.

I've already made the blank version of the campaign map, which is c. 860x995 pixels (yes, it will work: the max in RTW is 1001X1001). the key will be to get the details in.

but much of that work is in the future: I'm curerntly focusing on the custom battles and units, if I'm even focusing on my mod (or any other). schoolwork and finding a job are a bit higher up the priority list.

EDIT: no, this doesn't mean progress is slow: it is not. but it's certainly slower than normal. haven't added a new unit in over 2 weeks. my current taks is to retexture everything: I found this awesom new way of getting higher quality textures, and compressing them without compramising quality.
    yep , take your time , enjoy

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Re: asking for permission.

Another interesting project (who needs ETW anyways?)

one sugegstion:
    anyways, for the map, I simply need this initial area:

For the Seven Years War in Europe you don't need a map of that geographical size. When you cut it down to this region (by keeping size and province numbers):

you'll have a much easier time with modding because you can display the main theatre of war much more detailed without waisting province slots for regions in Spain, northern Africa or the Balkans, leave alone waisting faction slots for states like Portugal or Turkey that wouldn't play a role. The only problem would be that Russia would not be a proper faction. Can be working as horde, for example.

Default Re: asking for permission.

I see what you mean, but it's absolutely impossible. I'm porting the mod to Alexander total war, and as a result, I cannot make Russia a Horde. and it wouldn't really be worth porting it to BI, due to the model limit considerations (even with the Turks, Iberians, and others out fo the way, this one area you have still accounts for 90% of the models-which are going to be at least 300 entries in total. so about 270 models alone will be for Central Europe; 255 is the max for BI.

rest assured though, I do have a way around the problem, when the time comes. in the meantime, I must continue work on the units, and I need to continue studying for tomorrows exam (I'm on break right now).

but yes, thanks for your suggestion; I'll still consider it when the time comes.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; April 11, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Yes, I see.

In case there is anything I can do to help you feel free to ask. In another life I am a buff for Seven Years War history (but only the European theatre).

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    Yes, I see.

In case there is anything I can do to help you feel free to ask. In another life I am a buff for Seven Years War history (but only the European theatre).
    thank you, but I'm not quite sure how to employ you myself at the moment. If I d think of something, I'll be sure to let you know.

Domesticus

One can use the map of NTW2 or the sub-mod current.

So you could change anything about history and invade other European nations. ;-)