View Poll Results: Shall rory o'kane become an Artifex?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 66.67%
  • No

2 22.22%
  • Abstain

1 11.11%

Thread: [PASSED 01/25/09] [Artifex] Rory O'Kane (Patron: MarcusTullius)

Default [PASSED 01/25/09] [Artifex] Rory O'Kane (Patron: MarcusTullius)

[user]rory o'kane[/user]
    I have been a member of the TWCenter forums for three years this January, and a casual glance of my posts will show that I've tended to post in the RTW Mod forums, specifically the Roma Surrectum forum. This is hardly surprising, since I'm a historian and beta tester for the mod. As I am a member of the Roma Surrectum Development team, I spend my time on the RS forums helping the team with all things Roman, such as Legion titles, base locations, tactics, provincial borders, and other miscellaneous historical bits and pieces.

I have however been known to pop into the Athenaeum now and again, as well as the Ethos, Mores et Monastica forums simply to post an opinion, because, as a medical student, I have a keen interest in not only science, but ethics and moral views as well, and my atheism means I'm always up for a religious discussion.

As a citizen, I would continue to contribute in such a fashion to the TWCenter community, and make an effort to provide patronage for other members of the TWCenter that really stand out as citizen material (as I hope I do).

Thank you for reading!
    Rory O'Kane.

[user]MarcusTullius[/user]
    Rory has been a pleasure to work with. His dedication to historical detail and researching the best sources is immense. I have seen first hand what his research means for the look and feel of RS2.0. It means that we are able to add historical concepts and units, backed by specific knowledge and ideas. There are also the concept units that have been worked on. I think, for me, the roman legions that he has researched, the armour and weapons right down to the campaigns of the legions makes the mod much more impressive historically.

Rory aims to add a depth of historical knowledge and awareness for the player to immerse themselves into the ancient world. Personally, I have worked with him from all aspects of RS from temples to historical buildings. Although a lot of the work he has done goes to the background of the mod and therefore isn’t completely visible, I would like to show some examples of what types of units his research has produced. He has looked into different types of auxiliaries used by the Romans, looking at shields, how they were used in combat and armour.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/676...2351098iy3.jpg

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/799...0005402zg2.jpg

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8...0341036tl4.jpg

As such, I feel that he deserves citizenship for his work in the modding community. Although a lot of the work he has done remains to be released, I have no doubt that it will be received with the awe and recognition it deserves.

Regards,

MarcusTullius

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Default Re: [Artifex] Rory O'Kane (Patron: MarcusTullius)

I've worked with him back in my RS days, and he seems like an adequate candidate.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Quite so.

I'll vouch for his behind-the-scenes contributions.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Ok then since you vouch for his contribution it will be a yes from me. I was a bit wary beforehand since many time researchers just go to wikipedia and that is all they do. But of course there are those who take the job very seriously indeed and it seems this guy is one of them.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

I have always been of the opinion that being a historian alone is not good enough for citizenship, unless at an exceptional capacity. Since much of his work appears to be hidden to the public eye, I would like to ask aja5191, who I presume has access to the RS forums, to post some examples of his research here, as it is quite impossible to judge him at the moment.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Default Re: [Artifex] Rory O'Kane (Patron: MarcusTullius) (01/25)

Being a historian is helpful, yes. But I don't think it is citzienship all in itself, barring some ridiculously exceptional work. Now, if it is complimented by other things, such as great historical posting in the VV, or any of a variety of other things, I think it is a clear go. But from what I can tell, this candidate doesn't have much else. He does a bit of explaining things, and appears to have a solid historical grasp. But I mean... he is a researcher and a nice guy and... what? Are those enough make him a Citizen? Not for me. Voted no. Would be glad to be shown otherwise though, somehow.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

I agree with Fab wholeheartedly. And since I haven't received samples of his work, I have to vote no.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

It may be because aja and I have access to the RS Dev fora. I may PM him to ask for what he feels he wants to show you (as it is private), but it looks like he'll go through anyway.

Passed.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars