Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goth-Iazyges-Sassanid-CTD

Default Goth-Iazyges-Sassanid-CTD

I often (not always) get a crash when loading into or loading out of a battle against the Goths or Iazygies.
    Reloading and playing the same battle again usually works.
    I don't have any idea what this could be, but it seems that it's not the texture thing,
    as all unts of those factions work fine in custom battles.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I might add, that it is probably not just a faulty install, as it happenes on several versions and after many reinstalls.
    Last edited by CIaagent11; January 25, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: goths and lombardi crash

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by CIaagent11 View Post
    I often (not always) get a crash when loading into or loading out of a battle against the Goths or Iazygies.
    Reloading and playing the same battle again usually works.
    I don't have any idea what this could be, but it seems that it's not the texture thing,
    as all unts of those factions work fine in custom battles.
    I have heard that it can be a sprites problem or if the battle invloves full stack armies a graphics card problem. Do you get the problem anytime you are fighting with these factions or only after you have been palying for a while?

Hi, jh. Thanks for answering.
    It seems to me that it doesn't happen very often if it's the first battle after reloading.
    Even if that exact same battle just crashed before.
    So my crappy graphics card or memory can't take all the units then.
    Because it's on the danube frontier that there is such a mass of full stacks fighting.
    The only thing speaking against that is that it crashes while loading, and not during battle.

Would that sprites problem cause the error only sometimes? And sometimes not.

Would that sprites problem cause the error only sometimes? And sometimes not.
    Well, I'm only specualting but I think it is a combination of sprites and graphics card, but you could check the forums to check. I have read that you shouldn't play a campaign for more than say two hours solid as graphics card may play up. Don't know if this applies to all graphics cards or just the ones not designed for gaming. Sounds like my man you need a new computer.

Yeah, I'm only using my crappy notebook.
    Going to reduce unit scale to small for now. That's probably going to work.

Thanks once again.

Update: Played for a while now without a crash.

Update: Played for a while now without a crash.
    That's good to hear. I assume you are playing V2.01a?? So, you are playing both V2.01a and the Alpha BETA V3.0 at the same time?! You are amazing!!

He's devoted to IBIJ

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    That's good to hear. I assume you are playing V2.01a?? So, you are playing both V2.01a and the Alpha BETA V3.0 at the same time?! You are amazing!!
    I play the BETA.
    But I had this problem on V2.01a also.

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    He's devoted to IBIJ
    Shure am.

Well, I'm only specualting but I think it is a combination of sprites and graphics card, but you could check the forums to check. I have read that you shouldn't play a campaign for more than say two hours solid as graphics card may play up. Don't know if this applies to all graphics cards or just the ones not designed for gaming. Sounds like my man you need a new computer.
    It's something about officers...
    After switching all officers of those factions to some others, it doesn't crash anymore.
    But I cant tell you which.

Is there something special about some of the officers of the following factions?:
    sassanids, slavs, lombardi, goths, (and probably ostrogoths, and armenia, didn't test yet)

[QUOTE]
    I play the BETA.
    But I had this problem on V2.01a also.
    So let me understand you correctly, you are saying that the problem occurs in IJV3.0 BETA?? If so, can you send me a saved game of it?

It's something about officers...
    After switching all officers of those factions to some others, it doesn't crash anymore.
    But I cant tell you which.

Is there something special about some of the officers of the following factions?:
    sassanids, slavs, lombardi, goths, (and probably ostrogoths, and armenia, didn't test yet)
    No, there is noting special about the officers. Are you sure it's not your graphics card as I don't seem to experience these problems, though I must admit I do have a gaming graphics card for my computer.

Default Officers

So let me understand you correctly, you are saying that the problem occurs in IJV3.0 BETA?? If so, can you send me a saved game of it?
    Yes, it's the beta. But I remember also having it with IJV2.01a.
    I think it's the same.

But now that I know what the problem is, I could patch it.
    I think that is also what I did a long time ago.
    I switched all officers those facitons have to some from factions that dont ctd.
    Also the generals models in descr_character.
    It's probably only one officer that the Goths, Iazyges and Quadi share, and another Sassanid and (possibly) Armenian one.
    But I dont know which one. When the full version comes out, I will figure that out.
    It will take many hours of testing because it only crashes 50% of the time.
    For now I barely notice having slightly different officers.

I don't have a savedgame, since I played without any ctd for a while.

No, there is noting special about the officers. Are you sure it's not your graphics card as I don't seem to experience these problems, though I must admit I do have a gaming graphics card for my computer.
    It might be my graphics card. I have a crappy notebook on-board card,
    that wasn't meant to be played on when I bought it two years ago.
    It also has the flickering errors for some textures, which nobody else seems to get.
    So it seems there are just some problems with my card.

EDIT: What I mean is that it's no flaw of the mod, since it works fine for everybody else.
    I just have to figure out what in the game causes these frictions with my pc to find a way to work around it.

After patching this and the textures thing, IJ works pretty well for me.
    I also play on normal unit scale again.
    Last edited by CIaagent11; January 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks for all that. I will still check it when I have finished everything else. Just finished the Sassanid ethnic traits and now working on the Guptas and Armenians. Also changing the guptas clibinarii model to be more similiar with the sassanid as they were influenced by the sassanids. It will be a sort of cross kushan/sassanid.

Keep up the good work. And who knows you may get a new gaming computer for your birthday

He he.

Will there be a release candidate version?
    So testers can report things like "there is a unit picture missing here", and "this unit is called Unlocalised placement text", and things like that.

He he.

Will there be a release candidate version?
    So testers can report things like "there is a unit picture missing here", and "this unit is called Unlocalised placement text", and things like that.
    I will release a BETA version when the traits are all completed. I have been incorporating peoples comments now so hopefully there will be little or no mistakes. The BETA will be by request only. Will you want to be involved with this??

Cheers

Yes please.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon1 Re: goths and lombardi crash

hello all i get the same problom and I aslo recall that in ij 2.0 :hmmm:it is weird becuse i can play fine when i try the second time.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    hello all i get the same problom and I aslo recall that in ij 2.0 :hmmm:it is weird becuse i can play fine when i try the second time.
    Thats interesting. What's your computer?

Any suggestions about what could cause this? I switched all those factions officers and thought it was fixed, but I just got another ctd.
    It can't just be that the computer is too bad, it only happenes with some factions.

Can you give me some more insight? It always happenes after playing a while when the computer tends to get slower, right.
    And how about which factions?
    I get it at least with the Goths, Iazygies, Quadi and Sassanids.
    But nobody else.

JH said it might be something about sprites.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Goths, Iazygies, Quadi. Those ones are the only one I know of so far. I cant put my fingure on it, it might be the units them selfs though im not the modder.
    i dont recall it geting slower persay i did once that remember it was with the goths

edit: yes i gets slower but its not the unit them slef becuse wouldnt we get an erorr of some sort? oh and i get it from rebles as well. do you?
    Last edited by legio_XX; January 24, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

I never really fought the rebels, so I don't know.

This is really annoying, and I wish I could figure out what causes it.
    It doesn't happen with the Quadi any more since I use different officers for them.
    Maybe it's not an officer that causes this for the other factons.

Default Re: Goth-Iazyges-Sassanid-CTD

No no no, it's a hardware thing!
    I'm shure now.
    I just fought 3 armies vs. 3 armies aginst the franks, a faction that never had one of these ctd's.
    And it crashed after the battle.
    So unless that was something completely different, the reason is, that crappy computers have a problem with IJ.
    It only happens more ofthe with some factions, because there are more units in those battles.
    Might also have something to do with the textures/sprites/models of IJ.

legio_XX, what are your hardware specs?

Besides that, I thought it maybe might be the NumEnemiesInBattle bug?
    Maybe the game can't figure out the many different unit sizes in IJ.
    But that would happen to everybody, right?
    Last edited by CIaagent11; January 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast