Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

A messenger strode bravely into the Senate, carrying a scroll.

"Conscript Fathers! Consul Caius Flavius Crassus, commander of the Consular Army, has sent word that he has met with Consul Ahenobarbus Agelastus, and their combined forces are ready to march on Pyrrhus!

He sends this report."

Conscript Fathers,

I am pleased to report that the Epirotes have taken the defensive following our earlier victory. Both Consular Armies have now united and are marching towards southern Italy to defeat the Epirotes. I cannot reveal our exact marching directions as it is imperative that the plans be kept secret from the enemy, and I cannot risk this letter falling into the wrong hands.

However, I must address some troubling rumours I have heard. I wish to make clear to the Senate the reality of the military situation here. If you have sent me out to defeat King Pyrrhus, then by all means, I shall do this, and I shall return to Rome and you may call me a victor, if you like. But in reality, we will have lost Italy.

If you have sent me to lead our armies to stop the crisis endangering Rome and her right of governance, then you have sent me, Senators, to fight not a battle but a war. This will be a fully-fledged campaign, particularly now that Pyrrhus has retreated to Southern Italy.

Our allies have deserted and betrayed us at the first sign of danger. This outrageous act of cowardice cannot go unpunished, or else all of our remaining allies will abandon us as well. Pyrrhus is our key target for now, but after he has gone, it would be suicide to not punish our allies for their conduct.

Defeating the Epirotes will require the capture of the towns of Tarentum and Croton. I say with absolute confidence that these places WILL be delivered to you by myself and Ahenobarbus Agelastus before out term is up. But after that, it will be essential to force our old allies to join us again. We must eradicate the rebels, the traitors, those who would wish to oppose our rule. Particularly Corfinium, as they stand between Rome's lands and Tarentum.

I am informed that we have aroud 5,000 remaining in the treasury. This is the last chance for a very long time we have to spend any money. I do not request more troops, per se, but I am requesting that any money the Senate does not have earmarked for other uses should be used to levy more of our allies into the field before they have the chance to betray us. With both of our armies away now, Rome has few defence forces in place, and it would be a bad thing if you had to order the retreat of a consular army for the sake of a band of brigands.

The italian states will not be a pushover. They have many strong and battle-hardened men, and they will fight to the death in their streets and cities. I urge you to be wise in this most treacherous time.

Strength and Honour,

CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS
    Last edited by Lord Kal; January 21, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco sits back and waits for reactions from more experienced senators.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Caesar smiles at this news. He leans to Lepidus.

"Nothing ever goes this good...Phyrrus is no idiot. He is going to try somthing."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Can we bring an end to the debate of these taxes or does a senator still have thoughts on the matter? Here is what I conclude to be the generally approved proposal.

Lex de Lvcretivs Falco

I - The Senate and People of Rome hereby move to increase the taxes in all cities to emergency levels (extra high) unless this seriously interferes with public order.

II - For at least the coming year we must be willing to suffer mild disgruntledness (blue level) with the level of high taxation. People will dislike it, but this will certainly only be a temporary measure.

III - It will have to be re-evaluated every year until we are out of debt (or until the senate stops this extreme measure prematurely), and if rejected only minor disapproval will be the taxation limit.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Yes, Let's put it to vote at once.

The treachery of our allies cannot be tolerated. Those that would abandon us shall be treated as traitors and crucified I say.

OOC: You need to decide what to do with that 5,000, because it'll all be gone at the end of the next turn.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus considers Caesars thought, then whispers his reply,

Indeed, Pyrrhus is no fool. I worry that the Consuls are overconfident. However, let us see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

OOC: I'm having trouble as I can't find my BI disk atm. Can either the Quaestor or Consuls build the units required as well as the buildings. Sorry about this guys.

You didn't specify any buildings, did you? I've already advanced the save, and have disbanded the fleet and trained the units (when I did it the poll was the same score as it is now, and had obviously been won.)

I have a backup if there's a problem from before I advanced the turn but after I fought the first battle

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: No worries, Consuls are supposed to build everything anyway.

OOC: I need to know if there were any buildings that were meant to be constructed.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: as of now no motions concerning construction have been passed, so no.

OOC: Right. So all that remains is to spend the 5,000 and then I can end the turn.

OOC:Yeah. I would suggest a wall at ancona and then some marketplaces and the like. Although a temple in Capua might help as those campanians can get a bit rowdy!

OOC: Well, get debating, then! And call a vote when you're ready.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Lepidus speaks,

Senators, now that we have decided against using our treasury on troops, may I suggest a building program to help speed us back to profit after the war?

My suggestions are the following:

Roads - all dirt roads should be upgraded to paved
    Markets - traders and markets should be opened wherever possible
    Defense - to protect from pirate raids, a wall should be erected around the town of Ancona.

I would agree with the tribunes suggestions, but would place that it be prioritised clearly so that defensive fortifications be above the others, and then only to basic levels.

SC molior pro annus

In order of importance.

I Basic Defensive Works
    II Markets
    III Roads and infrastructure

In Ancona we should certainly build some walls to grant higher protection to the people. As for the rest of our regions, markets or roads, whichever would bring us the higher income once they are finished.

OOC: How much do the walls cost? Because if they are very cheap we could just use any spare money from setting all the constructions and use it to put a new building in the queue line for Ancona. The buildings expense is taken from the treasury even if it is only in the queue line so it could work.

OOC: I'm pretty sure that doesn't work. And a few more troops would come in handy, so when you decide what to spend the money on, offer a 'the consuls may spend the remainder on soldiers' clause.