Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Celsus sighed.

"Most of us are so strong minded that I fear they will still be arguing on the vote's outcome... However, there is no other way to decide the matter, so I agree, put it to vote."

Caesar chuckles and sits back. He whispers to a pedarii.

"I have always believed we shoudl bring swords tot he Senate. It will certainly help us solve debates."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I must ask Consul, is that the numbers you require? We can only vote on what you request, however much that should be.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

OOC: In his absence, and the fact we need to advance the save soon, then put those numbers to a vote, yes
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

As we are speaking of our impending financial problem, I would like to know what the tax rate is the Roman citizens pay and how much tribute we receive from our allies. If the Quaestor could fill us in on that, perhaps we could agree on a new tax rate so as to shorten this financial crisis.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

"We receive no tribute from anyone, no one pays Rome her dues. Taxes may be increased slightly, I think, without major duress. Of course, if you read my report it would all be readily available for you to peruse."

Falco stands up, his fingers nervously playing with a scroll of paper.

"After listening to some concerns mentioned both in private and in public I suggest the following motion:

- The Senate and People of Rome hereby move to increase the taxes in all cities to emergency levels (extra high) unless this seriously interferes with public order;
    - In cases when public order is compromised the taxes will be raised to a level that leads only to minor disorder (ie into the yellow);
    - This motion will remain in place until all Rome's loans from private bankers are paid out (ie until we are out of the red) or until an overruling motion is put in place.

That is my motion, what say you?"

After a short uncomfortable silence, Falco sits back down.
    PLEBEIAN

As much as this would harm the economy of the citizens of Rome and all her allies, I have to support this,as it is a necesary action if we want Rome to prevail this crisis.
    Last edited by Ozy; January 20, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I say yes as well, we will need every dinarii we could get.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus looked admiringly at Falco. So young, and so shy. Yet under that he carries great wisdom... Celsus stood up too, and said:

"Finally a sensible voice in the Senate. I fully support the motion. We will need that money. Indeed, if we have it... I might just support the motion of levying more troops for the South Italian campaign."

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

A necessary evil to preserve our nation. On the matter of tributes from our allies, many allies have refused to help us in our war with Pyhhrus and have abandoned us. If you wish tribute from our allies, we shall have to reassert our Hegemony.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

However I am a patrician, the gens Manlia has always had strong connections with the people.
    I feel sad because the Plebs will have to pay for all this, but it is a very wise motion, and therefore I shall fully support it!

I hope the Consuls are both informed about our debates?
    And I wish that they sent a letter hereto, to let us know what they think about it.

I have heard Consul Crassus if I am correct, saying that he needs more men?
    Good.
    What about Consul Ahenobarbus?
    I hope both Consuls think the same way.

May I also ask them to let us know, after they have encountered a great army of Phyrrus and have defeated, or, may the Gods stop my words to be put in deeds, lost to him?

That way we will know more exactly how much manpower they still need, and how much money it would cost.

Consuls I wish you the best in your first great encounter with the Epirotes, and may Mars be at your sides!
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

I agree with Falco. In a time of need such as this, every Roman, regardless of class, must band together to end the common threat. If this means my purse will be lightened, it is a small price to pay for the survival of Rome.

I support this bill proposed by Falco, as I am sure my plebeian comrades and patrician brothers will as well.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus speaks,

I support this bill. We are in a time of extraordinary challenge, and therefore extraordinary measures are called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I agree, in times such as these, One must put the good of Rome before the good of oneself. Just as the soldiers on the front will put their lives on the line for this great city, and indeed this senate.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

After a moment of deep contemplation and calculation, Falco stands up again.

"In light of the extraordinary deficits we risk, I myself propose to amend the second point of my own motion.

For at least the coming year we must be willing to suffer mild disgruntledness (blue level) with the level of high taxation. People will dislike it, but this will certainly only be a temporary measure.

It will have to be re-evaluated every year until we are out of debt (or until the senate stops this extreme measure prematurely), and if rejected only minor disaproval will be the taxation limit.

I implore you to consider this wisely. I have been accused of caring too little about others before..." Falco glances briefly in the direction of Clarus, "...but I assure this Holy Senate that this measure is for the good of the Republic and to prove this I shall donate half my yearly income (which is in itself only a modest amount) to the treasury of our fair Republic."
    PLEBEIAN

I still support the measure.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

"I do not support the raising of taxes! I beilieve we can get by on our current budget!"

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Our current budget will lead us to deeper and deeper debt. Sometimes, we must sacrifice what we have to safeguard what we cherish.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

"Indeed! A wise motion led byeven wiser men! I heartily think that this motion has merit, honour and of course the touch of a patrician!"

Caesar looks directly at Turnus.

"Which is exactly why it should not be passed! In this time of uncertainy, this time of war! Phyrrus sits on our very doorstep! Our people clamour to us, the most august of bodies, for help. Here is how we answer them! My dear plebians! Instead of security we will raise the taxes! I can never support this or any motion like this! Why may you ask? For indeed I will not deny this motion has it's merits. It has it's pros. But there is one great con, one thing that makes my blood boil more then anything. The fact this bill was written so the bloody rich can save their money! The rich, the patricians, the aristocratic snobbs! As the Senate we are tasked with defending the people of Rome! It is our duty! For what is Rome? Is it a city? No! Is it an army? No! Is it an ideal? Yes! An ideal that is thought of and beilieved more in one second by the average pleb then every day by the *cough* more well off members of our Senate!"

Caesar raises his arms!

"Let us show that we are above the petty cruelties of taxation! This is a desperate time indeed...for the poor...not the rich. I rest my peace."

Caesar sits looking directly at Turnus. He inclines his head in mock respect.