Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Civil war!? build up the economy?

You sir are a fool! we must dedicate our entire being into this war my good man, if we are to survive!

Do not fool yourself into thinking we are superior to the enemy, we can not win this war trough half measures and "building up our economy"

No, we must fight them in the fields and win! we must be on the offensive! And to do this we must gather as many men as we can and actually fight!

As for you senator Rutulus, it is NOT up to you too decide what a tribune of the people`s job is. And i suggest you keep your mouth shut about that, lest you make a further fool of yourself.

OOC: Sorry Hesus, nothing personal.

Last edited by Snowball; January 18, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Civilis View Post
    A young senator cautiously walks in. In his attempt to stay unnoticed he knocks over a large marble statue and when trying to catch it he trips over his own feet and lands face down on the floor. A lictor catches the statue with one hand without looking twice. The senator gets up, his face redder than a lobster. He dusts off his toga and pulls an arrogant face. Ignoring the annoyed stares of his fellow senators he sits down in his seat and listens in on the debate.
    Caesar chuckles to himself and leans close to the young Senator.

"Try to be a bit more careful next time."

Caesar stands and looks around the Senate House.

"Conscript Fathers! Be civil! The consuls are supreme commaders! However that said they cannto be allowed full access to the treasury without Senate consultation! Also!"

Caesar glares at Turnus.

"Be careful how you speak of the common people! Remember if in the future they were allowed to vote then perhaps you would not be in your position Turnus! The common people are the life blood of Rome! WIthout them where would you get all your money from!"

Caesar sits dow to laughs of the more populare Senators.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco cautiously stands.

"I say give command of the Consular legions to the Consuls, where it belongs, and command of the civil administration to its allocated officials, where *that* belongs. It would after all be foolish not to risk the lives of some plebes now only to endanger the lands of patricians later."

Falco glances uncertainly in the direction of several of the Plebeians and New Men in the senate.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

I do not demand control of the treasury, but I strongly advise the house this. Grim economic times could be ahead. I suggest that we spend this short amount of time preparing whatever defences we will need. It may be some time before we can recruit another legion. Therefore, I request that, just for this single turn, control of the treasury be given to me and my colleague Ahehnobarbus, so that we may use the money to bolster our defences. If not, we shall have to prepare a plan and have a vote, but that takes time, and Pyrrhus is knocking at the door...
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Civilis View Post
    Falco cautiously stands.

"I say give command of the Consular legions to the Consuls, where it belongs, and command of the civil administration to its allocated officials, where *that* belongs. It would after all be foolish not to risk the lives of some plebes now only to endanger the lands of patricians later."

Falco glances uncertainly in the direction of several of the Plebeians and New Men in the senate.

"Excuse me! Patrician land is of no consequence! Plebian lives are far more important boy! However in truth I agree with your motion. Let the Consuls have their legions."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Marcus practically jumped out of his seat at the last remark.

HOW DARE YOU SENATOR!? How dare you suggest the plebes give their lives for your land, for your fat bellies, and greasy greedy fingers!?

They fight for Rome! for their families, their children! for what Rome represents!

I will make sure your foul words are heard by the plebeians of Rome senator! They shall know what you stand for, and think of them!

Marcus sits down again, it was only barely he managed to stop his threats at that.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Caesar leans close to Marcus

"There will be a time and a place for this keep cool."

Marcus smiles at the man besides him.

The time is now my friend, i have a duty to protect the people in this Senate, their voice needs to be heard. I speak for them, you do not have this duty, you don`t have to make enemies of the patricians.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Need we put a motion to vote? Or do we just need to allocate a legion to each of us Consuls, and then we be off to our duties? This rabble in the Curia hall begins to disgust me.

"It may not be my duty but it is my obligation. I am a patrician myself and I hold no love for my kin. Selfishness leads to nothing but more selfishness."

Caesar then stands.

"Forget the vote as far as I am concerned the motion is unanimous."

Put my motion to vote Consul, and you shall have your Imperium, and as my fellow tribune wishes, you shall only have to consult us in the matters of the treasury.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Senatus Consultum de Bella Epirota (?)
    The two Consuls will be given imperium over the military forces of the Res Publica in an effort to rid Roman land of the Epirot threat. Any matters that require use of money from the Treasury must be brought before the Senate before it can be put into action.

Is that satisfactory?

Alright, call a motion. We'll assess the training needs once we get to our respective legions. Which reminds me, Ahenobarbus. I'll give you the honour of first choice. Which d'you want? Northern or Southern legion?
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

It is acceptable Consul, please put it to vote.

I second the motion.

ooc: shouldnt' the title be "Senatum consultum de Bello Epirotio"?
    I like this term, much more vicious senate battles

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

OoC: You mean i went from pussycat to shark

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus supported the motion, shocked as he was by the senators' behaviour. It resembled that of madmen.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quintus asks the senat to calm down.

I think we all agree on the mather of the legions each consul should get one. I also think we agree on the mather of reinforcements, as i already stated we should ask ower ally (occ : capua and Ancona) should deliver one manipel each so the legions will be reinforced with one manipel.

We should also plan what to do with the fleet becous this will also drain our resources.

In mather of the treasury is suggest starting a vote with the options
    - give consuls control over the resources
    - let the senate handel the resources
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"But Senators! The Patricians fought for this Republic and this City far longer and harder than any plebe!

We founded this City! We are her oldest and most loyal inhabitants! We are the Fathers of the Republic! Of course we should think about the plebes, but when there is a conflict of interests, the Patricians should always be cared for first!"
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

We have started a vote, where the consuls must have the senates permission to use funds from the treasury.

Your vote is redundant.
    Last edited by Snowball; January 18, 2009 at 02:20 PM.