Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Cicero Denouncing Catiline, by Cesare Maccari

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 473 A.U.C.
    (Magistrates in the year 486 ab urbe condite - 280 B.C.)

CONSULES
    MARCVS DOMITVS AHENOBARBVS AGELASTVS ET CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS

CENSOR
    MARCVS ATIVS BALBVS

PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
    TVRNVS RVTVLVS SAEVUS

PRAETORES
    SPVRIVS HERRENIVS ET LVCIVS SICINIVS SCIPIO

TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    LVCIVS AVRELVIS LEPIDVS ET MARCVS CLAVDIVS CLARVS

QUAESTOR
    MARCVS FLAVUS

---------

Save advancement schedule for this term:
    Monday 19th, Friday 23rd, Monday 26th, Friday 30th

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of

Quintus enters the senate house and looks around. He asks to speak to the gathered men.

I congratulate the new civil servants with there newly gained honour and offices.

Quintus walks to his seat and sits down.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Marcus Domitius Ahenobarbus Agelastus strides into the Curia. His face shows not the slightest indication of joy at his victory in the elections, nor does he feel any. The Consulship was made for the patricians, is for the patricians, and always should be for the patricians. His never-smiling face sweeps the Senate Hall as he sits in his curial chair. Brusquely, he speaks:

Senators, let us get this term on the way. I shall provide a report on the status of our Republic, and then our discussion may begin. Welcome to a new year, Conscript Fathers.
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; January 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

An unusually taciturn Crassus glances across wryly at his counterpart. Suddenly, he stands.

"Allow me to echo the wishes of our other Senators and to add that may this new era for Rome bring us prosperity, order, and glory.

Now, we must have the reports from my friend Ahenobarbus and the Quaestor."
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Casear slowly enters and sits down near the edge and sits to listen.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Lepidus sits and listens intently. An old enemy of his class has just ascended to the most important office in the Republic, and Lepidus studied his every move on the Curile Chair. He would figure this man out before he opened his mouth to speak...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

The Censor moves in gracefully but with an arrogant swagger, clearly bouyed that a true roman can still attain high office through virtue. He simply raises his hand to acknowledge the house before he takes a seat next to Lepidus.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Sicinius walks intently to his old spot near the door flanked by lictors. Taking a moment to study the senate, Sicinius notices something more resolute in their demeanor. Although the morning was wet and foggy, the confidence felt in the room was tangible.

Herrenius enters the Curia quickly, raising the steps and sitting on the last row of the Curia's seats. He then speaks,

"Congratulations to all the Officers that have won their position for this term! May the Gods bless US with the wisdom and determination needed of men worthy in our position."

As he watched all of the men around him, he wondered, "Will this year bring fortune, progress and prosperity to Rome? Or will it bring death and injustice to the capital of the Civilized world?" Only time would tell.

He takes his seat, and waits for the dirty and brutal arena the Senate is to start to work.

Caesar rises after listening to a few sappy Senators tell the various electees how happy they are for their recent wins. Caesar was angry at his lose but he was young and had alot of time to win elections.

"Indeed, congratulations my dear friends on your elections. Now that we have finished with the pleasentries I insist we begin with reports and updates on the situation. If our various magistrates could give us these updates, I am sure the Senate and, I confess, myself would be delighted."

Caesar sat down and leaned close to Lepidus. He smiled and whispered.

"We might as well give our new magistrates gold metals. Oh congrats by the way. Tribune Lepidus."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Turnus opens the doors to the curia, he still carried the bloodied knife from the sacrifice. The omens were good, much of the entrails from the lamb carried a healthy color. Laying the knife on the trays carried by one of the freedmen, Turnus took his seat.

Senators, Jupiter has been benevolent enough to show us favorable portents for the future. Let us seize that opportunity and expand Rome's power across the known world.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Let us stop with the social niceties. You men have heard the rumours from the south, that the Tarantine people have called to their aid the Molossion King Phyrros with the aim of defeating us and our allies. Yet we act as though there is no threat and that by flattering each other we avoid any useful action or debate. We require an urgent report from our Consuls on the threat of this army!

Quintus rises and speaks

We should send out spy and question merchants to sory out what is happening at the Tarantine and Molossions. If thy are preparing for war we should raise more troops and send a consul to deal with them. I suggest whe send Marcus Domitius Ahenobarbus Agelastus for this mission.

Quintus looks at the men gathered in the room in search of some support for this proposel.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Quintus found his support quickly as Celsus rose to speak. After some minor formalities, he continued.

"I agree. We should send out a spy to our southern borders and see what is happening. If war is indeed imminent, then we can raise an army to deal with the threat - but before we can do so, we need our financial and military report from our quaestor and consul."

OOC: We need to get a move on, we only have money for the first turn and that ends tomorrow!

Quintus raises again and speaks

If we will find our selfs in a war we should raise taxes to support our Public Exchequer.

Quintus takes place in his chair and waits for the other senators to talk.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Marcus walks into the Curia, knowing he is late he says not a word as he sits down, only listening to the men speaking. Trying to determine their character. He had no misconceptions about the fact that he would be unpopular in this crowd of greedy, overly proud and useless old patricians, nor did he care about that. He wished only to help the people, his sentiments were the same now as they were when he served in the army. All for Rome.

OoC: Its on!
    Last edited by Snowball; January 18, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Marcus Manlius rose up from his chair

Senators! Pardon me for my short absence, but though it was short, I missed the time to vote!
    But I see a this vote has lead to a good result, my congratulations to all of you!

I say we start bussiness immediately!
    We quickly need reports on our financial, economical and military stand.

How are the cities? Which ones are the most important to protect, expand?
    Where do the riches lay? On what sides are we threatened by enemies?

These first reports are crucial and must be delivered quickly!
    A fast overview of our Empire is welcome also.

So everyone, the Quaestor and Consuls in particular: let us go down to bussiness and lead Roma to Victory!

OOC: since last term wasn't finished and we changed mods, my age for this term is still 29, next term i will be 30 and so on. btw, Xavier, I see you changed your name. Can my 'life story' stay the same though?
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Suddenly, a freedman enters the Senate Hall and hands the Consul Agelastus a scroll, the report which he had been preparing at home. He takes it from the man and unfurls it downward, holding it with one hand so that all the senators can see.

I have now prepared the report for this first season of the year, and though it is already nearing a close, we have some time still to discuss what to do in the coming season, and thereby be prepared. Here is an overview of the current situation of our Republic, including an undetailed indication of each of our main cities' contributed wealth, the position of our armies and fleet, and the situation a hundred or so Roman miles away from the border in both the north and the south:

Our fleet is docked in Capua, a force of triremes and biremes, the latter being the majority. The need for it, particular at this time, is rather little, especially with the instability of our economy, which I shall leave to our Quaestor to explain.

Next, we see the situation in the south. Armies of the Epirots are already marching up the roads towards our lands, and an Epirot fort has already been built across the border, and garrisoned with a medium-sized army. Pyrrhus, their King, is in command of the largest army Epirot army shown in that diagram, the one furtherest south. One legion is situated at that border to guard it. It's composition is listed at the bottom of the diagram.

The north is rather different from the south. No invading armies appear on the borders. Instead, there are cities ripe for capture which do not have even the basics of defences. However, there is still a legion situated there to guard the northern border against pretty much nothing, for the moment. That legion composition is the same as the one in the south.

Last of all, I would like to show you all our state of diplomacy at this current time. We are at war with the Epirots, the Koinon Hellenon and all the independant states that exist in the known world. On the other hand, our alliances are made with Karthadastim - better known as Carthage, Numidia and the Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt. I propose we send a diplomat to end the war with Greece. There is no point in it at the current time.

Agelastus now prepares to sit down. But before he does, he makes one more point:

And just a note, our cities are garrisoned with only one unit of Coloni Militari each. This means that should our southern border fall to Epirot invasion, then our entire country will most likely be overrun due to lack of garrisons, and the time needed to build up a garrison. Therefore, for those senators who seem to prefer expansion over defence, I recommend you think again.

I move for the immediate disbandment of the fleet. Additionally, a consul should take command of the northern legion and march on Arretium.

Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast