Thread: I need some tips

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Default I need some tips

So I've recently got this game, and it looks great.

But I'm getting my ass handed by almost every marauder band out there, from manhunters to sea riders.
    How do I avoid them efeectively considering I'm a low level.
    I ve got ome troops footmen and recruits but I'm usually outnumbered, looters are not a problem but sea riders and s`pecially deserters are driving me nuts.

So my question is how do I avoid them? and how can I get money fast and safely?

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Default Re: I need some tips

Run away from them? When you see them, hit spacebar to pause and then change direction. If you are slower than them, you may be carrying too much in your inventory, or you may have too many foot troops.

What's in your party? A good way to get money would be to win tournaments, but that's chancy in the later rounds (you can end up with a weapon you have a low proficiency in -eg bow for a melee character). Killing and looting is best, but looters are pretty bad.

What's your character build and all that? You should be able to hammer deserters generally (unless it's around 12 Swadian Men at Arms in early game ). Sea raiders are all right if you have a decent party size.

What difficulty (damage you take, damage allies take, ai difficulty) are you using?

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

well I think its alot easier to kill marauders/raiders early on when you have a few soldiers. Having soldiers in the rear will all the raiders to charge at them, allowing you to ride in when the round starts and cut down their ranks enough that most of the should be dead by the time the reach your troops at the start location. if you get unhorsed, just beat it back to your troops. riding in with a sword or axe really isnt to difficult once you get the hang of it, and those viking raiders are particular easy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    You should be able to hammer deserters generally (unless it's around 12 Swadian Men at Arms in early game ).
    I got this last night after starting a new game. Lost all my tribesmen (about 16) and rode around for a half an hour feinting and charging. Was damn hard.

OP: Get used to charging people on your mount and cutting them down. Once you get this quite easy skill, it'll be a breeze. You won't even need your other men. My rule for riding in battle: don't ever stop.

Run away from them? When you see them, hit spacebar to pause and then change direction. If you are slower than them, you may be carrying too much in your inventory, or you may have too many foot troops.

What's in your party? A good way to get money would be to win tournaments, but that's chancy in the later rounds (you can end up with a weapon you have a low proficiency in -eg bow for a melee character). Killing and looting is best, but looters are pretty bad.

What's your character build and all that? You should be able to hammer deserters generally (unless it's around 12 Swadian Men at Arms in early game ). Sea raiders are all right if you have a decent party size.

What difficulty (damage you take, damage allies take, ai difficulty) are you using?
    Well I'm doing a lot better now. I've got more men with me and a better equipment.
    I'm building a one handed(sword and shield) warrior, I suck at archery.

And yeah most of my party is made out out of footmen and watchmen so they're kinda slow.

The tournaments thing seems like a good idea but I prefer beating the hell out some guys in the arena for the 200 denarii right now.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam
    OP: Get used to charging people on your mount and cutting them down. Once you get this quite easy skill, it'll be a breeze. You won't even need your other men. My rule for riding in battle: don't ever stop.
    I suck mounted how do I improve this?

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Find small bands, preferably looters (as they just suck so hard) and kick some ass. Charge right into them and get used to getting exactly the right swing. Almost every swing I take during a charge is a killing blow. It's easier in 3rd person - less chaotic. Give it a try.

Also, if you want an easy game to start with, don't use mercs just yet. Recruit Vaegirs, get horsemen and knights, let the good times roll.

Mercs you can recruit cost more than others. Also, try using a crossbow or something. You NEED a ranged weapon for sieges in later game, and nothing wreaks havoc like a 1337 crossbow or bowman. I've killed my share of elite troops trying to pile up ladders or waiting for a siege tower before.

If you can get a mid-sized group of deserters, kill them. Higher tier ones yield good loot (e.g. some Khergit lancers I bumped off had better loot than the Swadian King's war party - wtf?!), but mid and low tier ones (rhodok crossbowmen, nord footmen etc.) have a bit of good stuff worth keeping, usually.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

So I got some mercs, swordmen and crossbowmen, they are doing quite well right know specially against sea raiders.

And where do I found the ransom guy, I'm getting lots of prisoners and I want my money, he seems to travel from town to town, there's only one guy or many of them? how often does he travel?

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Tips for newbies:

1. Hire all campanions that is free.

2. Immediately train 20 Swadian Knights.

3. Fight only enemy you can win.

4. Do some quest for lords.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Tips for newbies:

1. Hire all campanions that is free.

2. Immediately train 20 Swadian Knights.

3. Fight only enemy you can win.

4. Do some quest for lords.
    1-Many companions ask for 300 or 400 denarii.

2-How do I train this guys is there a Variag(the russki guys) equivalent?

3-I'm doing that right know attacking heavily outnumbered sea riders or deserters

4-I did some of those mailman missions they've got quite bored after some time and the 30 denarii pay is not worth it.

So apparently I was hired by some variaig guy for 3 months. How does the merc thing work?

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    1-Many companions ask for 300 or 400 denarii.

2-How do I train this guys is there a Variag(the russki guys) equivalent?

3-I'm doing that right know attacking heavily outnumbered sea riders or deserters

4-I did some of those mailman missions they've got quite bored after some time and the 30 denarii pay is not worth it.

So apparently I was hired by some variaig guy for 3 months. How does the merc thing work?
    1. There are at least five guys are free - don't be lazy and go finding them out.

2. Heavy cavalry is the best choice for newbie; I don't know how you are going to get them (fighting looters, forest bandits or whatever) but getting them would make your life a lot easier.

3. Sea Raider and Deserter give you good money, but they would kill you if you are low level (go and pick someone easier).

4. Never think 30 denarii is little - you are poor like a beggar and even 30 denarii would save your ass.

5. If you are a merc in low level, avoiding any hostile lords in any time - you are not going to win any lord in this time so forget it.

However, since you are a merc there is a good money-earner - yes, I mean raiding here; go and raid as many villages as you can to earn quick cash.

Update: I'm level 20 know I belong to the Nord faction and I conquered a castle.

My question is how do I improve the village situation?, they seems to be really poor and unproductive.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Ride to your village, and you should click the first option, entering village administration menu (i dont know what it is named in english, i have polish version). Then, you can raise your village wealth by building mill, manor and other stuff. Also, try to ride directly into village, and find stationary peasant(the only one, that dosnt move anywhere). That is village elder and he give you some missions like bring some cattle or bring some wheat.
    It can sometimes rise the wealth of your village, but generaly, all changes are time demanding(about 40-60days)

You wroted, that you have problems with various bandits, sea riders and so on.
    If you are melee warrior, increase your polearms proficiency, buy some lance(espetially tournament one - cos it is blunt weapon), buy heaviest charger horse possible, and also heaviest armour for yourself, and go for sea rider hunting as lancer. I personally captured 21 sea riders alone, using "couched lance" tactic. I ordered my men just to hold their position at my camp( i dont like unnecessary casualties) and you can ride alone, depending on the raider party size (max 30 - if more, bring some help from troops waiting). Just ride as fast as you can and hit them with your lance and horse. But if you have light(not armoured) horse, dont try this trick. Chargers are slower and less maneuvrable, but they dont stop if they hit enemy and also harder to bring down by missiles and other heavy stuff. So you will usually do some damage, horse will do about 5-30(depending on circumstances), you usually hit once(damage done by "couched lance" is devastating - from about 50-250 or even sometimes more but usually around 150. I once had 288 damage dealt by one attack) and the target is unconcious or dead. Best if you want bring down armoured, elite opponent(as sea rider is) So your horse or you will always do some damage, both will be blunt weapon damage so if enemy fall, he will be captured at the end of fight.
    This tactic will leave your foot adversaries at your mercy, as long as you stay mobile on your horse, so you must keep your speed at all cost and never stop. Avoid attacking uphill, cos it lowers your speed so your lance cand be couched and will fly up, leaving you almost armless(poking lance like any other weapon is only good in desperate need).
    Beware the missile troops. Sea riders have lots of nasty stuff to bring you from the saddle from afar. Pick their archers first, then hunt down any with javelins. Fortunatelly, their equipment is visible, so you can spot them. But they have also throwing axes, and that is more dangerous, cos it is small, so you rarelly spot this in time, and they throw this sometimes when you charge, right into your face, and that can be very nasty. Bring good shield, just in case.
    Last edited by Asmodian; January 19, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

Well after almost 6 days of playing this game I've come to the conclusion that: Hired Blades are best infantry out there, having a fief can be fun but also dangerous, specially if it's a frontier one, Nords(my kingdom) are ing idiots, they're are getting their asses kicked by Rodhoks and Vaegirs and still some of them want to start a war with Swabia.

Is there a way to prevent the enemy from creating(not cheating, actual strategy) more armies? I'm getting quite pissed because every time I massacre one their armies they get 3.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

You should be able to hammer deserters generally (unless it's around 12 Swadian Men at Arms in early game ).
    Met a group of like 72 Swadian Men at Arms once...
    That kinda stings...

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Well after almost 6 days of playing this game I've come to the conclusion that: Hired Blades are best infantry out there, having a fief can be fun but also dangerous, specially if it's a frontier one, Nords(my kingdom) are ing idiots, they're are getting their asses kicked by Rodhoks and Vaegirs and still some of them want to start a war with Swabia.

Is there a way to prevent the enemy from creating(not cheating, actual strategy) more armies? I'm getting quite pissed because every time I massacre one their armies they get 3.
    Nords suck. Hired Blades suck, too. Try Vaegir Guards, Nord Huscarls or Rhodok Sergeants.