View Poll Results: Interested in a RTW Competitive Ladder?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, bring it on!

13 100.00%
  • Nay, too much bother.

0 0%

Thread: Electronic Sports League.

Njord's Avatar Civis

Default Electronic Sports League.

I'm one of the administrators in the Electronic Sports League, for Dawn of War's competitive gaming side and will be assisting as co-mla for the Dawn of War 2 section when it's released.

I'd like to know how many of you would be interested in a competitive league for Rome Total War. Basically it would work as league table, with one randomized game a week and also with more active players challenging other Rome Total War players for points on the ranking table, with enough players there could be prizes and tournaments similar to the Dawn of War and other sections such as Call of Duty 4.

ESL is mostly clan orientated, however I will be putting forward a ladder idea, similar to Dawn of Wars for those who prefare 1v1 non clan games.

Ideas are welcome as is feedback to whether this would interest you or not.

As I'd need a rough idea of the interest before being able to put this forward to have it set up.

You'll find the ESL site here; http://www.esl.eu/eu/
    Last edited by Njord; January 16, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Electronic Sports League.

Yes, This is nice, But it is hard to administrate something that big. I hope you can do it. I will join

i would like 2 join something like this, but i hope the schedule wont be mandatory for members, because i wouldnt b able 2 play very consistently. im much too busy for something like that.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

I'm interested, though I'll need some more details in order to understand how this'll go down.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

If this goes in a similar way to the RTW Heaven forums' ladder, then I will most definitely join. It was great fun, and I was rather sad that inactivity has undermined its success.

Njord's Avatar Civis

This is how the Dawn of War section works;

Each player signs up gets a page, with his or her personal details, their clan information and matches that they have played or leagues/tournaments they are currently in. From this page, you can either view replays of this player in action, challenge him/her or leave a comment.

Example of a Player page ; http://www.esl.eu/eu/dow/clan_league...layer/2165533/

Ladders usually have a mandatory randomized game a week, Dawn of Wars is set to Sunday 18.00 GMT. You also have the Challenge option of challenging anyone in your league, top players can deny challenges from lower players if they wish to stop them being bombarded with lots of games.

Ranking tables look like this; http://www.esl.eu/eu/dow/soulstorm/1on1/ladder/

When submitting a game, it must be confirmed by both parties. The winner must upload the replays of the matches, and screenshots of the winning screen which are best of three in Dawn of War, though this can be altered for Rome. The winner then enters his army (race) and map they fought on. These are all selected from a drop down style menu, it's simply point and click.

Once this is done, the other player will receive an email asking to confirm the results, if he does not, the results are automatically confirmed for him within 48 hours.

Due to the size and nature of ESL a lot of the features are automatic, it's simply too large of a site to do manually. There are also protest options available should there be an issue in game, be it with illegal armies (breaking the consented ESL rules), poor sportsmanship and flaming or if an opponent doesn't show up/refuses to play.

That's when admins like myself are called in to settle disputes and make a decision on which course of action to follow.

Regarding Clan games, these are possible. Dawn of Wars clan scene is very competitive, the format for the games is as follows;

5 matches, Clan leaders select 5 players to fight prior to the match, these are held confidential and randomly assigned to an enemy player when the clan war begins. The format for the matches are three 1v1 games, and two 2v2 games;

1v1
    1v1
    1v1
    2v2
    2v2

These games are all best of three.

Now, the format will not be the same as Dawn of Wars, due to it being faster paced than Rome, games are easier and quicker to complete, 5+ 1v1's per match could be far too time consuming, if the players are of equal skill.

As it stands, I'm thinking of a modified variation of CWB rules at 10k for the ladder to add more strategy and curb chariot based skirmishing armies, Clan games set to either 12.5k or 15k.

Thoughts?

king-nord's Avatar Ordinarius

That's good that i'm sure there use to be something similar on gamespy with loads of leagues. Not sure if it's dead or not now tho
    Last edited by king-nord; January 17, 2009 at 09:37 AM.

Team Paullus

I would definitely join in; the RTW Heaven ladder was fun while it lasted. CWB or whatever version of it is a good idea too, since most players that would join play that as default.
    Would TWC count as a clan for the purposes of clan/team matches?
    "This space for rent." -AlexandertheMediocre

Njord's Avatar Civis

Clans can be registered as whatever, if a few TWC members want to band together and make a team that's absolutely fine.

I'll announce the High Council of Sith about this.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Lets start a TWC clan! All the TWC guys who don't have a clan can come join in

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

I would join.
    Not crazy about the Vanilla Rome.
    Could you include Alexander and BI in the ladder?
    I was just over at the Med II sub forum and you never posted this topic there.
    Would you consider it for MedII and include Kingdoms expansion?
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Njord's Avatar Civis

As far as I'm aware Rome has a bigger fanbase than med 2 or the Rome expansions. ESL wouldn't construct this ladder without considerable support, I'm talking 80 - 100 players. While they don't all have to be active, the support has to be there for this to begin.

This doesn't exclude tournaments for the expansions though.

I've yet to contact clan sites, or Rome heaven on this matter, but we'll see how it goes.

As for another reason why I haven't asked a med 2 audience, is because I'd have to work overtime to get this up and running. I'm already taking a huge role on as acting as a co- master league admin, acting as a second in command for dawn of war 2's UK section.
    Last edited by Njord; January 19, 2009 at 07:53 PM.