View Poll Results: What do you think of Epirus as a faction overall?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome

19 33.33%
  • Good

22 38.60%
  • So-So

10 17.54%
  • Bad

3 5.26%
  • Horrible

3 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epirus: Good or Bad?

Default Re: Epirus: Good or Bad?

Voted for awesome.

They have a challenging starting position between Rome and Macedonia/Greece. Good units - f.e. their elephants .

But itīs very hard to hold Taras, which you shouldnīt leave. By loosing it, Rome can become a huge and strong enemy when controlling all of Italy.

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

actually, i got the romans to agree to a ceasefire and alliance, plus i gained the city north of taras. im a miracle worker.(now, because of thier tactical folly, the romans will be wiped out by me and my greek allies once macedon is no more)
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

One of my favourite campaigns, I like how they can either focus on Macedonia, move to Italy and try to break the Romans, or simply move against the rebel/barbarian settlemens up north headstart.

And those elephants, they worth all the money you have to pay as upkeep for em in the start.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

yeah, their range of choices is pretty lengthy, not like the romans who can either attack gaul, the rebels, or take the single epirote city on italy. basically, epirus has a great starting position, being able to expand easily into asia minor, greece, italy, scythia, etc.
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    I like to recreate history when I play TW or EU games. Since Epirus has close to no history... it's very uncomfortable for me to play as them. I have the same problem with late Carthage.
    I have the same problems, as i also like to recreate history.

But in the beginning itīs not such a problem, the Epirotes have twice tried to conquer southern italy (Alexander I. in 334 and then Pyrrhos) and also tried to conquer macedonia and being the dominant state in Greece (under Pyrrhos and his son Alexander II.).

So I would not say they had close to no history

As player you can try to have success, where they failed --> by destroying Rome and Macedonia.

In my roman campaign I took all but two of the Epirus cities, Pella and the settlement north of that before getting them to agree to a CF. By the time I had finished conquering the rest of Greece and was 1/2 way through my Spanish conquest they had most of Thrace and Dacia, leaving the Getae with only 2, unconnected Settlements before they turned on me again.

The problem is that even though they have a large military, its made up of Local units and mercs, a few levi hoplites and phalanxes, but no profession infantry or descent cavalry. It's generally a probably with many faction I guess that loose there homeland.
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

well, that makes it more of a challenge for players of epirus, which is nice

While the AOR of your elite units is extremely small, that can be said for many factions. I don't find Epeiros lacking in the military field, except maybe in lacking the heavy cavalry of the other Successor kingdoms.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

I'd say pretty good

Its really fun in the beginning, I typically take Pella and Demetria in the first few turns, then send forces to Italy and crush Rome, after that it becomes boring. Typically I send fleets to colonize the Mediterranean taking all Greek settlements in the west, east, and north. Build them up as military powerhouses, and expand in all directions with the economies of Italy and Greece fueling my expansion.

Mines are the key, mines and ports. After a while it gets tedious, but then that happens with every faction.
    "Midway upon the journey of our life
    I found myself within a forest dark,
    For the straightforward pathway had been lost." Dante Alighieri

you can destroy both Makedonia and koinon hellenon in more or less 20 turns with all the troops you have at the beginning of the game (you dont even need the elephants) once the whole makedonia and greece yours, you will be unbeatable

their elite cavalry is so-so, so you are better at recruiting thrakoi Prodromoi or the normal ones.

their elite phalangite is one of the best in the game, stats wise but cost a lot.don't use whole lines of them.

Once you have whole region, you'll find yourself with 2 million + mnai really quick

actually, my heavy cavalry for them are pretty good. they beat companion cavalry in my experience. mind u im playing on VH/VH. i typically recruit generals in greece, and they are really good heavy cavalry.

I think Epeiros has a very interesting starting location as well as unit roster and historic background and I think it could be even more interesting if you don't rush through greece and then italy too fast, so I'm seriously contemplating if I should give them a try for an AAR, once (or rather if...) my actual one will be completed.

There is one thing I have encountered in a campaign I played some time ago. I took all my units from Taras to use them on the greek mainland, willing to give the city up without a fight.
    For years the city was undefended, but the romans just sat there nearby and didn't seem to be willing to take it (until it was too late, 'cause Pyrrhos came back...).
    Has anyone encountered this before? Maybe there is a bug which makes a city without units safer than the largest garrison could do (as long as there are no riots)...

PS: I would vote something between Awesome and Good, but as there is nothing I'll chose awesome.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

in my campaign, they attacked immediately. on the first turn, i fought a hard battle in the streets of taras.

Well, yes, but what I'm saying is that they didn't attack when there was not a single unit in there. At least that is what I experienced. Perhaps I should try in a different situation if the AI generally is hesitant with taking empty cities.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

First game on EB, as Epirus, and currently kicked the crap outa Makedonia except for Korinthos (big, nasty stack under a good general down there). Managed to keep Taras under my control in the meanwhile with great difficulty, since i had to use the most basic of Hoplites (which, for my great dislike, cannot use phalanx formation!) against Triarii and Principes most of the times.

But after Pyrrus got back, some ass kicking took place.

But i must say, that after beating one roman stack, another 2 appear out of thin air (really, calling the romans, an hydra, like in the intro movie, is a perfect description for them). These Triarii are extreme bad asses that even if surrounded from all sides will fight to the last man.

Nevertheless, pushed the bastards up to Liguria. Playing on VH/VH. Have to say that i never had so much trouble playing any TW game as in EB, due to countless enemy stacks (which make the game more interesting). I believe i killed about 10000 romans, and i am still around 262 BC!

And for obvious reasons, i rank Epirus as an awesome country. Havent tried any other completely yet, but still, Epirus is awesome. Absolutely, awesome.

Just pointing out that battle difficulties above Medium while do not improve AI tactics at all they give a flat stat bonus on AI controlled units.

Some people enjoy it, but when I saw simple accontistai chop up elite infantry units... bah too annoying for my tastes.

Well done on your campaign anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir D'Andunie View Post
    Just pointing out that battle difficulties above Medium while do not improve AI tactics at all they give a flat stat bonus on AI controlled units.

Some people enjoy it, but when I saw simple accontistai chop up elite infantry units... bah too annoying for my tastes.

Well done on your campaign anyway.
    Against the romans, i have had my general bodyguard arrased countless times when they threw their javelins at me. I also dislike that.

I also had a terrible problem - the roman legions were gigantic, and my normal hoplites were no match for them. In one battle against their best general in the open field, i had a perfect pyrrhic victory. Lost half my entire army, even if i destroyed theirs and managed to conquer 2 cities in a row. But i was forced to hamper my expansion and wait for reinforcements from Epirus, which delayed me for quite a few turns.

After these turns, Rome had about 5000 troops. 2000 of which i crushed fast (mostly only crap troops like Rorarii). However, the bigger stack, composed of 3000 troops, had a lot of hastatii, principes, triarii and even heavy cavalry. I had no chance of defeating them in the open, so i lured them to the river near Rome, and to my great sucess, i crushed them with almost no looses as you can see in the image above this post.

It was an awesome battle if you ask me - held em with my phalagitai deteuroi, while my troops threw countless javelins at em and while my cretan archers kept firing arrows. Once their general was slain, and after they were tired, i performed a massive charge on their flanks and they fled. But hell, the romans were so many that they even managed to get past my phalanx lines.

To resume - the AI does get a lot of advantages, but there is always a way to minimize your looses. I have never assaulted a single city, for example, because the AI is always smart enough to sally forth. And only god knows how many casualties i would have suffered from attacking cities with stone walls and with heavy roman infantry defending it.

Indefinitely Banned

I don't like Epeiros because they cause AI Macedon to fail.

I have just spent all afternoon trying to play as Epeiros and have got nowhere. I think I need some tips. Is there any points in keeping those elephants you have at the beginning? I thought they would help against Macedonian cavalry (horses are supposed to be scared of elephants) but a medium cavalry unit killed almost all of them in a few seconds, so I am wondering if they are just a waste of money.

Boriak's Avatar Senator

I'm currently fighting both Rome and Makedonia, using only levy phalanxes and some Bruttian and Illyrian Infantry. Maybe you set the difficulty level to too high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12