Thread: Vьsь i Gordъ - Early Slavic Society

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

Default Vьsь i Gordъ - Early Slavic Society

I have begun compiling a tech tree thqt could be used for the slavs in any mod. \it still needs work and tweaking, but it's well on its way. If you have any suggestions let m know.

The Slavic Tech Tree

Level One
    Vьsь (village) – domъ voldar’ ь
    Koldęzь i grob’a (wells and dikes)
    (coastal clearing)
    Vět’e (thing)

Level Two
    Gordьcь (small town) – dvorъ gospodinъ
    Pol’a (acres)
    Žitьnica (granary)
    (palisade)
    Gostь (trader)
    Balji (healer)
    Pristanь (river port)
    (mine)
    dorga (roads)
    gajь (sacred grove)
    (army gathering place)
    (sauna)

Level Three
    Gordъ (town) – dvorъ vojevoda
    Velika Žitьnica (large granary)
    Gostinica – inn
    Val – fort wall
    Kovačь – smith
    Tržišče – marketplace
    Trgъ – large market
    (boat inlet)
    (trading port)
    Hram (temple)

Level Four
    Město (city) – dvorъ kъnęzь
    Last edited by Sanskrit_Bandit; February 28, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

Default Re: Vьsь i Gordъ - Early Slavic Society

thanks a lot!

Laetus

Hi polak966 ...if you don't mind I will contribute some ideas.

Period you cover (300-1000 AD) is quit wide and Slavs, their society and military organization went through significant changes. Personally I see two distinctive periods during this time span:

1. up until 7th-8th century.
    This was period when Slavs emerged from darkness of history and went to conquer and settle large part of Europe and some parts of Asia and Africa. Their presence was for the first time recorded by historians, mainly of Byzantine origin (later Franks and Arabs). Picture we get from these sources are of classical northern barbarians, very similar to that of Germans when they were for the first time encountered and recorded by Romans. Slavs were living in tribal society, in villages scattered through woods and marshes. They did not build towns and were not ruled by any kind of nobility. Kings and rulers which sources mention (some of them by name) were mere chieftains or war chiefs but not hereditary rulers as contemporary emperors in Constantinople or early kings of Franks. Basic building stone of Slavic society was family and tribe and above were just ever shifting alliances which mostly did not outlive man who welded them together. Again there is sticking similarity to early Germans. Social status was based on age and blood but not on wealth which was distributed rather equally among members. In this period Slavs were mostly pagans. They worshiped their ancient gods.

2. from 8th century on.
    After Slavs came to contact with Byzantines, Franks and especially Avars who subdued many of them for time, Slavic society begun to change and was transformed in to early feudal one, very similar to that of contemporary Western and Southern Europe. Slavs were Christianized. Some of them adopted Latin Christianity others adopted Orthodox, depending to what sphere of influence they felt. Tribal and family ties started to get replaced by ties of loyalty to overlord and nobility emerged. First kingdoms and principalities were created. Taxes started to be extracted, society got divided economically. Fortified towns and castles were build. From military point of view it is important that specialized military cast emerged which created basis for nobility.

It is also important that this military elite was not ethnic based. Slavic kings and princes were more than wiling to accept foreigners to their services. In Western Slavic countries these were often Frankish noblemans who fled from their homeland for various reasons or came as part of bride retinues when Slavic rulers married Frankish wives as part of various marriage alliances.

Most if not all modern Slavic nations have their roots in this period. Names of Poles, Serbs, Croats, Czechs, Moravians, Russians emerged (in their native forms).
    Last edited by arras; February 17, 2009 at 03:07 PM.

Laetus

This is famous text writen by Procopius of Caesarea about Slavs.

Procopius Caesariensis (c.500 – c.565), De Bello Gothico, III. 14.22-30.

The Byzantine historian Procopius (born c. 500 AD) held a high civilian post on the staff of Justinian's great marshal, Belisarius. He participated in several campaigns, including the victorious one against the Ostrogoths in Italy (536-540 AD). In 562 he became Prefect of the City in Constantinople. The Gothic War (De Bello Gothico) is part of Procopius' History of the Wars of Justinian, that was written in Greek.

These barbarian nations, the Sklavenoi and Antae, are not ruled by one man, but live from of old in democracy and because of this they always manage their profitable and difficult affairs in common. Similarly, all other matters, so to speak, are common to each of them and were handled according to custom by these same barbarians. They believe there is one god, that of lightning, creator of all; they believe him to be sole lord, and they sacrifice oxen and all sacrifical animals to him. They neither acknowledge fate nor that it has some decisive influence in human affairs. Whenever death is already close to them, or they are seized by illness, or they are arrayed for battle, they promise, if they escape, to make a sacrifice immediately in return for their life. When they have escaped they sacrifice, that which they promised and think that the salvation was purchased for them with this sacrifice. Moreover they revere both rivers and nymphs and some other daemons, and they sacrifice to all of them. They carry out their divinations in these sacrifices. They dwell in pitiful huts, living far from one another, changing frequently all, and each severally, the location of habitation. Arrayed for battle the majority advance on foot against the enemies, with small shields and javelins, nor do they in any way don corselets. Some have neither a chiton nor a short cloak, but having put on only trousers up to and including the genitals, they are thus arrayed for a clash with enemies. And there is, simply, one barbarian language for each of the two nations.

They do not differ even in shape from one another. All are particularly tall and stout; their bodies and hair are neither very white nor blond nor are they very dark, but all are ruddy. Just as the Massagetae so they also have a harsh and careless way of life, and just as the Massagetae, they are full of filth. They are rarely knavish or base, even maintaining the Hunnic characteristic of simplicity. In past times the Sklavenoi and Antae had one name. In former times they called both Sporoi because, I think, they inhabit the land scattered about sporadically. Thus they have much land. They inhabit the greater part of the other bank of the Ister. And as regards this people it is thus.
    Source
    Original is in Greek, translations differ in details, this is just one of them.

Notes:

Sklavenoi and Antae are names of Slavic tribes or tribal unions which made rides in to Byzantine teritory in 6th century.

Massagetae was Greek name of Iranian speaking people similar to Scithians but Procopius probably mean Huns.

Theory about origin of both tribes as Sporoi is probably fictional, made by Procopius.

Ister is ancient name for lower part of Danube.
    Last edited by arras; February 19, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Veles Who is also known as Volos is a major Slavic God of Earth, Waters and the Underworld. He is mostly associated with cattle, musicians, wealth, magic and trickery. This hand-carved wooden statue is 38 cm tall. Wood is in natural colour.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Radegast, also called Radigost or Radhost is a Slavic God of hospitality, fertility, and crops. He is also associated with war and Sun.

Figure of Perun that is made on the historical basis.

Swantewit, Slavic God with 4 faces

he Zbruch Idol is one of the rarest sculptures from pre-christian Slavic era (9th century). It was found near the village of Lychkivtsi (Ukraine) in 1848. The Zbruch Idol is a pillar of grey limestone and it is commonly associated with the Slavic God Svantevit

Svetovid (Svantevit) is the Polabian God fertility, war and abundance. This is a replica of three-headed idol of Svetovid that was found in Poland (Wollin).

Swantewit from the Arkona temple
    Last edited by absinthia; October 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Nice...